Monday, February 6, 2012

Stereotyping Domestic Violence in Sanctuary

Sanctuary is a novel that criticizes the upper classes stereotyping of domestic violence being inherit in the lower classes. Temple is a collegiate woman from the upper class who finds herself in a low class household for the first time in her life. This is due to the fact that she has been hanging out with a drunkard, the exact person her father and four brothers have been warning her about her whole life. Once she has arrived at the Southern house, the woman of the house, Ruby, warns her that she needs to get lost before dark. Why this is the case is left ambiguous for some time but there is reason to believe that one of the many men in the house will take advantage of her if she is still there by dark. Temple continully aludes to the fact that she is of a higher class then the people of who's company she currently keeps by saying "my father's a judge, my father's  judge" (51). The implication here is that it's not acceptable for her to be raped but it's acceptable for woman like Ruby to be raped because of the social class distinction. It's difficult to imagine why Ruby would be so keen to be rude to Temple, then.
As a result of the stereotypical violence that we can assume Ruby lives with and/or experiences regularly, she has become a stronger woman for it and doesn't let the men push her around. There is this idea of experience that comes with being around domestic violence. Ruby alludes to this when she tells Temple "you'll slip out at night with the kids, but just let a man come along" (57). By this she means that Temple has only hung around boys, or upper class collegiate men who would do her know harm, presumably, and that real men are from the lower class and are abusive towards their wives. It is a way for Ruby to gain the upper hand over Temple since Temple is an upper class woman who is trying to flee Ruby's household because she feels as though the men here will do her harm. She believes that as an upper class woman she must be highly desired by lower class men which obviously offends Ruby because Ruby is a lower class woman who the men ignore.
The turning point in the relationship between Temple and Ruby is the night Temple trys to sleep at the house while Gowon is an unconscious sleep from drinking and fighting. Ruby stays up all night watching Temple, making sure the men leave her alone and eventually helps her get away from the men. The implications of this pivotal moment in their relationship being that in order to overcome this stereotype that states that domestic violence is acceptable and justifible in the lower classes, the upper classes need to readjust their thinking towards the lower classes.

28 comments:

  1. You start off your argument with a lot of plot summary and it took me a while to figure out what you wanted to say until the end. I would eliminate the plot summary and work on keeping your thesis statement in mind throughout the whole argument. You can make your first paragraph a lot stronger by introducing the idea of stereotypes occurring in the novel and then bringing out your thesis within that paragraph. I thought your last paragraph was really great and you write about the turning point throughout your essay. The turning point of the novel pinpoints the place where the stereotype is exhibited but also justified. I would maybe focus on that when you are writing your final draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your close reading has a lot of good ideas in it, but the current format has them all jumbled together. Separating your ideas into clear paragraphs would be really helpful for following your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli,

    I struggled with your first paragraph. Though your conclusion seems to wrap up the argument pretty well, the first paragraph seemed unorganized and did not provide a clear and focused thesis. My advice would be to focus the thesis and first paragraph a bit more, and then the paper should fall in line with the thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli,
    I think your close reading has a great focus on the stereotyping that occurs between social classes. I agree with some of the other comments that it took a little while to get into, but once you began explaining your idea I followed completely. Your very last sentence was a little confusing to me and my main suggestion would be to re-word it. I think I captured what you are trying to say and if I am correct, then this would be great to mention earlier or turn into a more concise point. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelli, I like the focus of your reading, and you have some good evidence that you analyze well. In order to make your essay stronger, I would clean up some of the minor grammatical errors. I also noticed you said that "Ruby doesn't let the men push her around" - I couldn't help but disagree with that right away, simply because Ruby also experiences physical violence as well. Just something to think about. Great job otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelli,
    I think you bring up some great points within this paper. Maybe you could try focusing on why Ruby being raped is "acceptable" while for Temple rape is "unacceptable" and center your argument around that point instead of summarizing plot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelli,

    I think you did a good job bringing up important stereotypes that Sanctuary deals with. I think you need a bit of an introductory paragraph as well as breaking the body it into body paragraphs, stylistically it's a bit overwhelming. I agree with those above me that there is a lot of summary so maybe expand on your ideas if you feel the summary is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lot of powerful ideas here. I would like to see a bit more clarity in your argument, however. I'm unclear on exactly what it is you are trying to argue, and i think if you just broke up the paragraphs and added more textual evidence with analysis, it would become clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Similar to what a lot of others are saying, you did have some good ideas in here, but your voice pretty often seems like a stream-of-consciousness, and so making some more purposeful distinctions between thoughts will help clear it up a lot. Take a few of the analytical statements and try to unpack them a little bit in their own paragraphs. I like Jessica's idea to investigate the acceptability of rape between the two characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have some really great ideas in your close read. However, I think that there is a lot of unnecessary plot summary that detracts from your arguments. I really like your last about the implications of this type of thinking. Perhaps just remove or condense the summary parts and continue to analyze Ruby and Temple's relationship and the implications. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strong focus, just needs some fine tuning. A little editing would take this to a more polished place. All of your ideas work well, and you fluctuate between refined writing ready to go on a final draft and a looser voice that seems like you could comb through it once more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelli, I like that you stated the implications of the text -- you brought us to a main reason why your close reading is significant. I was just thinking that you begin your piece with a lot of summary that you don't really need for a class who is reading the novel with you. Just make the points you want to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two things:

    In this class, the stereotyping of various groups of people has come up rather frequently, but I feel like we haven't yet really addresses to what end anyone is stereotyped. I think there's a possibility for you to explore that here.

    Also, when you say "The implication here is that it's not acceptable for her to be raped but it's acceptable for woman like Ruby to be raped because of the social class distinction," you're making a very interesting point, which could become the focus of your argument, should you whittle down the scope of your analysis (which, like others have said, would be helpful).

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a really great start, and you have some really well thought out ideas. I think if you reconstructed some of your paragraphs and revised you sentence structure (for me it read choppy at times) your argument would really come through nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you have an interesting argument here. I am not sure if Temple's repetition of her father's occupation is her justification of abuse or rape. But rather a warning to those that would do harm to her that there would be ramifications if she were to be harmed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your ideas on stereotypes with the women in Sanctuary. There is an unclear argument that can be easily stated in the first paragraph. Also there is a lot of plot summary. Just dive right into your argument and start supporting. You have some good analysis so you are well on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The concept behind this post is very interesting. I think this is a good starting point for a more in-depth exploration of the kind of stereotyping you're talking about. As this post is now, though, it's a little too heavy on the plot summary and a little unorganized.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you have a good start, but I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Try to establish your argument early and then back it up with evidence in separate paragraphs--the first long paragraph is really distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that you've definitely started a very interesting discussion of the relationship between class and sexual violence - but beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what you are arguing. I think there is too much summary here and some of the choices that you make in your wording are confusing. My suggestion would be to solidify your thesis, secure an argument, cut the summary and then reorganize.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely think you've got some really good stuff here, but i think organization and a more focused direction an argument would take your analysis from good ideas, to a great essay. I think if you also examined sentence structure and word choice you could polish up your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The way you’ve chosen to analyze the stereotyping of domestic violence as a class issue by taking a close look at the way it’s represented within Temple and Ruby’s relationship is a great way to assess how Faulkner addresses the intersections of class, gender, and violence within Sanctuary. However, like others have mentioned, if you reduce the amount of the plot summary it could strengthen your piece and perhaps you can replace the plot summary with a few concrete examples and/or excerpts from the text to support your argument instead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with what many others have stated. Including more unpacking and subtracting some of the plot summary would not only provide a clearer argument yet will strengthen it as well. You mention character's other than Ruby possibly intertwining a reading of their dialogue as well could help.

    ReplyDelete
  23. While I thought what you were going for in terms of argument was interesting, I felt it was a bit hard to read. There was more summarizing than I would have liked, and I felt there was room for asking/answering more questions than you initially raised. A few more supporting quotes and a bit of reorganizing and you'd have a much clearer paper on your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you had a lot of summary here that could lead to a good essay if you eliminate it and turn it into an argument. I don't know what your thesis is. And I also couldn't find any paragraph distinction, unless there were really only 2 paragraphs. If there were only 2 you need to separate them on your next drafts. I would also go through and check some of your grammar usage. The word "being" was misused a couple times. In the first sentence you said "Sanctuary is a novel that criticizes the upper classes stereotyping of domestic violence being inherit in the lower classes." Instead of saying being, you should change that to "that is". In the last paragraph you say " The implications of this pivotal moment in their relationship being that in order to overcome..." Here, instead of being, you need to change it to "are".

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you need more structure in your text and less summary.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kelli,
    I think you're off to a great start. You picked up on a pertinent theme (class as associated with violence), and you started your piece off strongly. However, your focus seems to falter quite a bit throughout your close reading. It seems to be much more describing (a bit summary-heavy) the dynamics of Ruby and Temple's relationship rather than explaining how it's enforcing socioeconomic stereotypes. It also reads more like a stream of your thoughts rather than an organized mini-essay, which I think you should strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're definitely headed somewhere with your topic, but I think you should focus on what exactly you want your argument to be so you can relate each moment in the text that you point to (you picked great moments) back to your thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think you actually make a really great point at the end of your close reading that would be worth exploring more when you say, "In order to overcome this stereotype that state that domestic violence is acceptable and justifiable in the lower classes, the upper classes need to readjust their thinking towards the lower classes." I agree with some of the earlier comments that you did a bit too much plot summary, but I would suggest really focusing on the last part of your close reading as a jumping off point.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.