Monday, February 27, 2012

Lover of Poe


            In the play “Machinal” by Sophie Treadwell the young women, Helen, lives a life scripted for her.  She urns for true love but is in constant battle with the need to abide society’s strict gender roles, roles where women are quickly married off and provided for by their husbands.  Treadwell alludes to Edgar Allen Poe’s short story “The Cask of Amontillado” in Episode Five, “Man: Poe was a lover of amontillado.  He returns to it continually, you remember – or are you a lover of Poe?  Boy: I’ve read a lot of him.  Man: But are you a lover?” (383).  The use of this allusion depicts the level of entrapment Helen encounters as well as aligns the fate of the two characters as they both die as a result of their entrapment.

Poe’s short story is told from the perspective of Montresor, who has set out to take revenge on his friend Fortunato.  Montresor tricks drunk Fortunato by telling him he has found a large amount of rare amontillado.  Montresor leads Fortunato through the catacombs in search of the amontillado.  Montresor chains Fortunato to a wall deep within the catacombs and leaves him to die.  First off, the allusion draws a connection between entrapment.  Like Fortunato, Helen is also trapped.  She may not be physically chained up, but she is chained by the expectations placed on her by society, “Young Women: And I suppose I got to marry somebody – All girls do.  Mother: Nonsense.  Young Women: But, I can’t go on like this, Ma – I don’t know why – but I can’t” (373).  Before the marriage even takes place, Helen is trapped by the gender role.  She feels the need to marry, no matter whom because she believes all girls do it.  Love takes a back seat to the pressure she feels.  Helen worries she may not find anyone else so she must take the opportunity provided.    The pressure she feels from society is enough convince her to marry a man she does not love. 

The need to provide for her mother is another way the gender roles trap Helen.  Helen knows Mr J. will provide for her mother if they are married, “Mother Vice president! His income must be – Does he know you’ve got a mother to support?  Young Women: Yes. Mother: What does he say? Young Women: Alright.” (372).  It is also stated that if Helen turns down the proposal, she will lose her job, “Telephone Girl: No! Tell him no.  Stenographer: If she does she’ll lose her job.” (370).  If Helen turns down the marriage, she will lose her job and no longer be able to provide for her mother.  On top of that, she will still not be married.  She is left with no choice but to marry Mr J.

All of these pressures are created by the need to fit into the gender role created by society.  The pressures that trap Helen within the gender roles eventually lead to her morbid fate.  She and Fortunado are left trapped, with no escape.  Helen is chained to the gender roles and its pressures just as Fortunato is chained to the walls of the catacombs.

27 comments:

  1. I really like that you bring Poe in because I think that is a very interesting element of the play. I think you provide a very good reading of how Poe interacts with the play, but I wonder if what ultimately traps her is her 'love' for Richard who she has an affair with. It's his affidavit that ultimately leads her to confessing to the murder; and it was his story about Mexico that prompted her choice of murder weapon. In this way, I feel like you could possibly explore how Richard traps her and compare that to Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    You make a great connection of Helen and Fortunado as the focus of your piece! I think the idea of them both being trapped by others is very interesting. I especially like when you mention that even though Helen is not physically chained, she is still chained by societal expectations. My only suggestion would be to use more textual evidence from both Poe's piece and where the connection is introduced within Machinal. Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great close read! I like that you wrote about a small moment of the play, because all those side conversations that we could brush over are there for a reason. I'd like to see more connections being made, rather than just entrapment, or at least develop it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting perspective, but not having read Poe's “The Cask of Amontillado” I would really like to see you draw more concrete/specific connections. It might be helpful to explore the reasons why Helen feels so trapped into marriage, why she feels obligated to follow the path society set for her. And when her mother replies to her concerns about marriage, why does the mother say "nonsense." how does the mothers comment relate to her feeling obligated to marry to provide for her mother?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your analysis of how Helen is trapped, or chained by societal expectations of gender performance, and specifically the expected gender performance of women. You comparison of Helen being trapped by social expectations to how Fortunato was trapped by Montresor is interesting and creates a great parallel. At one point you mention how society’s pressure convinces Helen to marry a man she doesn’t love, which implies the idea that love should be an important component of marriage. You might consider going further with this idea and analyzing how the ideas of love and marriage are also constrained by social construction and expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're headed in the right direction with this close reading. Your argument is clear and the specific moments you chose to quote seem suitable for your purpose. You do, however, need to work on incorporating your quotations into your paper more effectively. Right now, they're just appended to various sentences at great length. Try to use shorter snippets and work them into the actual argument of the sentence to which they pertain. Also, please note that the character is "Young Woman" in the singular, not "Young Women" in the plural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the comparison here. I do wonder whether there are more comparisons that can be made between the two. It's been a while since I've read the Poe story, so maybe not, but are there similarities between the reasons for each character's entrapment? That could be something interesting to explore.

    I also sort of agree with Michelle about Helen's love for Richard being chaining. Obviously, the stuff you did include is hugely important, and I wouldn't say that the thing with Richard is the ultimate reason for her entrapment, but it is something important to consider including.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is a solid close reading because of the interesting connection you make between Machinal and Poe. You are very clear from the beginning about the connection you are trying to make. I think you're going in a good direction by making the connection between being trapped in gender roles and being trapped in the catacombs, but I think your argument about the marriage needs strengthening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a really great close-reading and I liked that you chose to focus on Poe since clearly this is an important element in the text. The paragraphs need to be connected more, however, because as of now they don't seem to have clear cohesion in their structure. Your argument doesn't seem to grow or build as you move towards the end. I feel like your last paragraph and maybe even the paragraph before that simply reiterate the same point when you could bring in more evidence or really strike the reader with more interesting points. Other than that, I really enjoyed reading this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do a really great job of taking a small piece of the play to look at rather than the entire spectrum of things going on. What you have chosen to focus on plays a large role in the overall elements of the text, but concentrating on a small part of the play brings out this importance that it depicts within the text. What I would focus on for the revision is making sure that your paragraphs and overall structure of the essay portray an organizational logic. I liked your comparison between Poe and Machinal and thought that you could develop your argument further for your revision. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa,
    I think this is a really great close reading, and you make great connections between Poe's short story and "Machinal". I, like Rob, think you could explore motives behind Fortunado and Helen's entrapment, as I think it brings up interesting implications in regards to gender roles. Fortunado is led to his entrapment because of drunkenness, while Helen is trapped out of necessity (her mother tells her that the tangible aspects of marriage are more important than love). I think an interesting approach for you to take might be to examine the scenes where Montraseur and Fortunado are in the Catacombs and episode 2, in which Helen is speaking to her mother. Hope this helps you somehow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa,

    I liked what you have written here. My only concern is the nature of Poe's writing in comparison to "Machinal." Poe's short story is one of revenge and hatred, mixed up in a person vs. person conflict, whereas "Machinal" deals with a different different type of conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having read both pieces, I do see the connection you're making. In addition, it is intriguing.

    Suggestions: Try to rely more on Machinal than Poe. Your second paragraph devotes a lot of time to summarizing Poe, but does not elaborate fully on its importance to Machinal. If you give Machinal more focus and use Poe as a supplement it will help your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a good start. However, I would agree with other folk on a couple points. First, I like that you're focusing on a small portion of Machinal, rather than trying to cram in bits and pieces of the whole play. At the same time, I think you spend too long summarizing Poe for the connection you end up making - either elaborate on how the allusion plays into Machinal, or cut down on the Poe stuff.

    Also, I think it's worth noting the different circumstances in which characters are shackled - as Ryan said, Poe's story is about revenge, where Machinal is, well, not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post makes an interesting connection here between Helen and Fortunado but I agree with Mike in that you should rely more on Machinal than on Poe, because we aren't focused on Poe. For your revision I would suggest using more textual evidence to support your argument. I also think Michelle has a good point about including how her love for Richard contributes to her entrapment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you have a strong connection with gender roles in this piece. I do, however, feel as thought you are trying to do a number of things at once: trying to express how Helen is trapped in her situation by her gender, as well as compare her to Fortunado. How does Fortunado/Poe relate to Helen being trapped in her "scripted life" by her gender? I think this needs more connecting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the comparison here. However, I agree that you need to include more from Treadwell, rather than Poe. Maybe some explanation why you think the allusion to Poe was included? Other than that, it is a nice paper, just needs a little more valuable content.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you have an interesting topic for your paper. Like others, I think you focus a lot on summarizing Poe in the second paragraph. More analysis and attention on the connection between Helen and Fortunado would help strengthen your argument. You have a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like the topic you chose for your close reading - that's exactly what you did - a close reading. However, it was slightly confusing (and maybe this is just me) because the dialogue you refer to is between two men, not Helen and Richard. Either way, I do like the focus on entrapment. To make your claim more clear for your reader, I would maybe introduce first how Treadwell alludes to Poe, and then introduce Helen and her situation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your connection to outside readings is fun, and refreshing, and although you provide a nice summary/overview of what the poem is about, I think you need more textual evidence from Poe to make connections. It seems like it is briefly mentioned that there is a connection and then not fully developed. Other than that, I think you have a promising piece on your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Same critique, more analysis. Push through the text with more concrete organization, you would have a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this close reading. I think that more Mechanil and a little less Poe would make this stronger not because you do a bad job here but just because Poe is the main focus.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you are really on to something. I really like this piece yet I think digging deeper to display a clear So What will help to strengthen your piece. THe incorporation of Poe is great in that it poses an interesting read as many of us probably glossed over the reference while reading. GREAT START!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting take on your paper! I would agree that if you want your focus on Mechanil then I would make sure that you add enough analysis on that so Poe doesn't over power the paper. Also, if you cite the play quotes correctly, it would make it a lot easier to read and follow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melissa,

    I like that you chose to focus on/relate Poe to text as a whole. However, I think you need to work a bit harder to really analyze why and how that specific reference is being used. This Poe reference is made between a random boy and man at a table, and while significant, it isn't directly related to Helen. (I actually read the quote you used as sexual... I think the man is seducing the boy rather than referring to entrapment, although that's just my interpretation). I see how Helen is trapped as Fortunado is trapped, but they're trapped in very different contexts and there isn't an exceedingly clear relation within the text. I think there might be, you just need to tease it out more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've got a good close reading here, minus a few points. I felt there was a bit too much time spent on summary and Poe. Like other posters before me, I feel like maybe focusing on Machinal would make a stronger paper, because there is much more of an argument there and you could go deeper into your analysis. The conclusion needs a bit of work, but that aside really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a really interesting close read. I like that you have taken an outside source and applied it to the play. I think that you may need to bring in a few more examples and some analysis on Machinal and Helen's feelings of entrapment. But so far its a good start and an interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.