Monday, February 20, 2012

The Question of Gender: The Rock and The Party Dress

The Question of Gender: The Rock and The Party Dress

In Nathanael West's Miss Lonelyhearts, heteronormative gender roles are confused. Men and women alike are portrayed as committing violence, they are both illustrated as the sexual aggressors at different times, and the way in which each are described take on characteristics of the other gender, such is seen when Miss Lonelyhearts compares Mrs. Doyal to a police detective (27) or Miss Lonelyhearts being referred to as a Miss throughout the novel. Near the end, there is one instance when gender roles are portrayed as heteronormative: Miss Lonelyhearts and Betty are labeled as "the rock" and "the party dress" (55-56). Miss Lonelyhearts willingly takes the place as "the rock," which represents masculine characteristics and he assigns Betty as "the party dress," which is attached to feminine characteristics. By having such roles assigned by a man, Miss Lonelyhearts, questions gender roles within the book, which leads the reader to further investigate roles that are supposedly innately feminine and masculine.

Miss Lonelyhearts constructs the concept of "the rock" as a comparison to himself, attributing masculine qualities to it. The first image the reader sees of the rock is when Miss Lonelyhearts is speaking to Shrike. It begins, "Shrike dashed against him, but fell back, as a wave that dashes against an ancient rock, smooth with experience, falls back" (51). Already the rock has masculine qualities. It is steady, nothing can make it falter. Miss Lonelyhearts has also associated himself with the rock, steady and unmoving. At this point, Miss Lonelyhearts has begun to take on masculine qualities. The image of "the rock" and its association to Miss Lonelyhearts becomes clearer in the line, "The rock remained calm and solid. Although Miss Lonelyhearts did not doubt that it could withstand any test, he was willing to have it tried" (52). The use of the pronoun "it" instead of him disassociates Miss Lonelyhearts from "the rock," so rather than the rock being a natural part of Miss Lonelyhearts, it is instead a role he assigns to himself. The line also further assigns masculine qualities to the rock with the words calm and solid. Ultimately, the rock becomes a stand-in for Miss Lonelyhearts. "The rock was a solidification of his feeling, his conscience, his sense of reality, his self-knowledge (56)". The line suggests that Miss Lonelyhearts believes "the rock" is something that has been innately a part of him, but previously he was unaware of such qualities, which proposes that he thinks the masculine side was a part of him that was never fully awarded presence.

Yet, the concept of "the rock" is complicated by the idea of "the party dress." When Betty admits that she is pregnant to Miss Lonelyhearts, he proposes marriage. She replies, "'No . . . I am going to have an abortion'" (56). At this point, one could argue that Betty is not gendered. Yes, she is in a predicament, but has come to the conclusion that she cannot raise a baby, and despite Miss Lonelyhearts appeals to marry her, she refuses, deciding instead to get an abortion. Choosing to have a man's help would have the stigma of needing a man's help, putting her in the place of a helpless woman, which is a gendered role. So, when Miss Lonelyhearts appeals to the party dress, it is as if he is appealing to the gendered role of woman. "The party dress" is introduced with the line, "He begged the party dress to marry him" (56). At this point, he is no longer asking Betty; he is asking the party dress. The party dress becomes further personified in the line, "He was just what the party dress wanted him to be: simple and sweet, whimsical and poetic, a trifle collegiate yet very masculine" (56). The quote argues that the description is what a feminine woman would want out of a masculine man. And so "the party dress" says yes to "the rock," agreeing to marry, forcing the gender roles of helpless woman and heroic man onto the characters.

What become problematic about the roles Miss Lonelyhearts and Betty take on as "the rock" and "the party dress" is that they are roles, rather than who they are. Throughout the earlier text when Miss Lonelyhearts is constructing the concept of the rock, he is constructing it as something he is personifying, and it is not until after Betty becomes "the party dress" that he decides it is a "solidification of his feelings" (56). It almost seems that for "the rock" to exist and to reach its full potential, it needs "the party dress." The same can be said for Betty. She is not "the party dress," rather "the party dress" is a role forced upon her. It's interesting because the masculine qualities seem to suit Miss Lonelyhearts. He finds comfort in them, where as the feminine qualities are a realization placed upon Betty by a man. She does not describe herself as "the party dress," it is Miss Lonelyhearts who puts feminine characteristics upon her, disallowing her from making her original decision. Roles that have been questioned throughout the entire book, are looked upon at this point, in such a way that they further question the assigning of gender.

When the book questions the roles, particularly in this passage, it makes a reader question the seemingly natural roles of feminine and masculine. Though to one reader it may seem like Miss Lonelyhearts did the right thing in saving Betty from an abortion or raising a child without a father, another might perceive the passage as Betty being trapped into a marriage and a motherhood she may not want. Having two such opposite readings, gives way to the ability to question not only generic gender roles, but specific ones, such as wife and mother.

28 comments:

  1. Brittany,
    Great close reading! I really like your focus of how the rock and the party dress resemble the gender norms that are perpetuated within the text and that are "supposedly innate". You do a great job of pulling textual evidence to support your argument and explaining how each role complicates the other. The only part I find problematic in your close reading is the heavy focus you put on Betty's initial refusal of the marriage proposal. She only refuses basically in that line of dialog and is swayed to marry him quickly afterwards. I think this takes away from the strength of your argument considering how short-lived her refusal is. However I do think there are other moments within those pages that could support "the party dress" as perpetuating female stereotypes. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the most interesting part of your argument focused on the way that "the rock" and "the party dress" each need the other to exist and the way that Miss Lonelyheart's persona is one that he constructs for himself whereas Betty's is placed upon her by Miss Lonelyhearts (without her knowledge). I think that if you delved deeper into this topic, aka - what this means for the text, you could do a more complete reading of gendered roles instead of spending such a large portion of the essay focusing on the masculine or feminine qualities of a rock or a party dress. I think that those are definitely valid points, but I would be more interested in an expansion of the aforementioned points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get off to a good start in identifying the ways this book messes with gender roles. Especially that violence is not reserved for men is interesting. But I do wonder about the rock being a representation of man because of its "calmness" or "solidness." What resource defines men in this way? A lot of the stuff we've read in class emphasizes, not calmness, but the impulsively aggressive temperaments of men. Maybe you could address that discrepancy and figure out its role in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the point you are making about the connections between "the rock" and "the party dress" with gender roles, and you make a good point about the "blurred lines" between the roles in the text. The fact that Miss Lonelyhearts is a man is an interesting concept. I think if you started to focus on what this difference means, but then at the end it seemed to get a little off topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good close reading! I like how you only focused on a small portion of the book and not the book as a whole. You did a great job in giving evidence and analyzing it as well. I was able to follow the essay fairly well. At the end it is a little drawn out, I would cut some things out and just condense the ending. Very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brittany,
    I really like that you chose to analyze a specific section by bringing in other parts of the text. Your argument was easy to find. I think the idea of Miss Lonelyhearts being a miss deserves more attention. You touch on in in the intro but I think it needs more. Could there be another reason beside gender role and stereotypes that he goes by Miss Lonelyhearts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very good first draft of a close reading. Your argument is clear and you maintain your focus throughout the paper. I think one area you should try to improve in your revision of this paper is the organization or flow of logic within each paragraph. It seems to me that much of the paper is structured around a "This is my conclusion. This is how I got there." type of logic. That type of structure is fragmented and slightly inhibits the reader's ability to follow your logic. Use the textual evidence to explain the process by which you arrived at your conclusions. "Exhibit A shows this, Exhibit B shows that, and taken together they lead us to this conclusion by this process" is a much more effective way of making your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great close reading but I do think some things could be improved. You argue that Miss Lonelyhearts is masculine very well, but then why is he referred to as Miss? This might be a good counterargument? And I was confused as to how Betty is not gendered when she chooses to have an abortion, maybe she is just rejecting typical female stereotypes? Just some things to think about, but good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that you discuss these gender roles as things that are assumed to be innate in people and objects, and how those assumptions are subverted throughout the text. As someone else said, however, I think laying a firmer grounding for what exactly you mean by "gender roles" in 'real life' and within the novel would be useful to you. We tend to talk about such things in abstract and general terms, as though they're things that we inherently understand, though that may not necessarily be the case depending on your reader.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have a really good argument, but that the current structure inhibits it. To better structure your revision you might want to focus on the gender roles instead of the people; that way you could better connect how "the rock" influences the role of "the party dress" and vice versa. Otherwise, really great ideas, it was very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did a really great job on your argument as well as proving it throughout your close reading. You also did a really great job delving into your selected quotes and proving your thesis at each step. I think if you condensed your introduction a little bit it would be easier to read and better set up your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brittany,

    I think that this is an incredibly strong piece. You did a great job focusing in on a specific--yet important--detail, and everything you argued is well-supported and well-analyzed. The only thing I can think to suggest at this point is to omit all of the "it could be read this way" or "though it may seem" qualifiers. While I see why you added these (to acknowledge the other side of the argument), it seems to me that they're not entirely necessary and your argument would be stronger with bolder claims. Otherwise, fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to really get down to a close read! Very well analyzed. I think I would suggest shortening your introduction and moving some of the sentences you use in your first paragraph right after, in a new paragraph. As I started reading I felt a bit overwhelmed, but once I continued on for a bit, it got better. Wait to use the quotes in the bulk of your paper, not right away in the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that the argument between gender roles in "the rock" and "the party dress" allows us to think about West's motivation for doing such a swap. I think you can incorporate that idea of author motivation throughout your points. Why is it important that he chooses to swap and challenge the gender roles. I agree with others that have pointed that the begin seems to slow down the rest of your overall argument. Some revision and cutting of sentences will allow the audience to get to the meat and potatoes of your overall thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You chose an interesting part in the novel to interpret. I think, so far, you have done a nice job, but like others have said, the argument needs more work. I suggest that you focus on how "the rock" and "the party dress" are dependent on each other. This connection is key to your argument and it would be helpful to focus on this in the text as well as its implications for "real life" generic gender roles you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice argument. You appear to have great knowledge of the text and its inner workings.

    One question: You touch on Miss Lonelyhearts as a masculine figure, but do little to talk about his title as miss. I'd be interested to hear more about this in your response since it is applicable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done! You provide an interesting argument and your use of examples make it easy to follow. Like others, I think less in the introduction would help get to the point faster, which would be helpful. (I was a little overwhelmed by the way you started your paper) Overall, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job on your close read. I thought that your argument and your analysis was clear and developed. I especially liked that you took time to explain why this issue is problematic in the novel. I also agree with some that you could edit the introduction. I think it would better position your argument and make it more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought this was a great essay. Your argument really made sense and was well supported. You even presented a counterargument about how the roles could be defined in different terms and then used that counterargument to show that it actually strengthened what you were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a very well written and clear close reading. I love your analysis of the gender roles in this story and how you point out that they both need each other in some way. I think one issue you could cover in your revision is how the masculine role is labeled as a Miss and how this functions throughout the text.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brittany,

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your essay. Your first paragraph does a great job at introducing the topic of the paper, and your thesis is made very clearly and concisely. My one bit of advice would be to unpack the quotes a little bit more. There are a plethora of quotes used in your paper, but I feel that because so many are used, it weakens the overall arguments that can be unpacked from each one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought you presented a very strong piece. The "rock" and "party dress" is a great way to illustrate gender roles and it's great that you present a counter argument as well. As others stated I thinking a little reconstruction of the introduction could make the piece stronger yet I think you present great work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your approach to Miss Lonelyhearts. I think the questioning of gender roles and West's usage of them is very interesting.in your intro, you claim Betty has violent moments, and i would like to see you touch on that too. you bring up the idea of these gender roles being forced on Betty, but how are they forced on Miss. Lonelyhearts?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a very well written close reading that is focused and flows well. You do a great job of presenting your argument and provide multiple examples and your analysis of the gendered roles and ideas the rock and party dress represent support your argument well. However, I wonder if your analysis of the rock could go further, because in some ways I feel that the rock not only represents some tenets of masculinity, but is also a reference to Christ, as in the Bible Christ is referred to as the “rock” of the Christian church and the “corner stone”. Due to the fact that Miss Lonelyhearts is viewed as a Christ like figure within the text this could be an idea you’d also like to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really liked your close reading! You were really focused throughout your paper making it easy to follow. You also did a good job in pulling textual evidence to support your thesis. It is not something that is a clear essay topic but you did a good job addressing it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brittany, this was really good. I followed your argument the whole way -- I liked your structure and arrangement, personally. You held my attention the whole way, and I was following you. I think you proved your points well, but I do think that pushing through the notion of Miss Lonelyhearts being assigned a female title (by men, though?) would help to strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brittany,
    I really enjoyed your close reading. You did an excellent job supporting your argument with textual evidence and your writing has a clear focus that makes it easy and enjoyable to read. Overall, the only part of your argument that I'm really questioning is man as "the rock." Someone posted earlier about the "calmness" factor and questioned if you could explain this discrepancy. I would take that note and really try dig a little deeper into why this might be?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really really liked your close reading. Not to steal Rob's idea, but I really liked his suggestion: what does the rock represent of man? What qualities to the rock and man share? I think that could be an idea that would be extremely well developed within your response here.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.