Throughout T.S.
Eliot’s poem, “The Waste Land,” one gets a sense of suppression with nowhere to
escape. In the second section of the poem, “A Game of Chess”, one is able to
get a clear distinction of women’s weakness and the power men have over them.
Even though the men do not physically abuse the women, they mentally abuse them
for the women are only wanted for the idea of sex itself and receive no
affection. This gives the women an obscured sense of worth and are considered
suppressed in the notion that no matter what social class they pertain to, they
will never escape the influence of man.
The
first half of the section concentrates on a woman from a high social class who
is dependent on her lover even though he does absolutely nothing to demonstrate
his interest in her. At first glance, she seems to have quite the life for she is
described to live in such luxury. However, when one takes a step into her
thoughts, one is able to see the emotional frustration the woman is going
through. She lives in isolation and her lover is her only interaction that she
has but communicating is the last thing he wants to do with her. As a result, he
is not torturing her physically but is torturing her mentally. After having sex,
she states,
“My
nerves are bad to-night. Yes, bad. Stay with me.
“Speak
to me. Why do you never speak. Speak.
“What
are you thinking of? What thinking? What?
“I
never know what you are thinking. Think.” (111-114)
Even though her
lover doesn’t speak, one is able to get a sense of their interaction within the
quote. Instead of caring for her well being and asking what is wrong, he simply
repeats that her nerves are bad and she therefore feels the need to reaffirm
the state of her nerves. The fact that she has to tell him to stay means that
he doesn’t feel any real love toward her but is rather solely there for sex.
This idea is emphasized as she further states that he never speaks or tells her
what he is thinking. This tortures her mind and she becomes frustrated and in
despair that he cannot share his innermost feelings and feels that he only uses
her for sex.
The idea of
mental torture continues toward the second half of the section with a lower
class woman, Lil, who’s husband, Albert, just came back from World War I. Despite
being told from a third party observer, Lil’s mental frustration is still
recognized through not only by how she is treated by her husband but also by
the mentality of the woman telling the story. The narrator states,
“He
said, I swear, I can’t bear to look at you.
And
no more can’t I, I said, and think of poor Albert,
He’s
been in the army four years, he wants a good time,
And
if you don’t give it him, there’s others will, I said.” (146-149)
This emphasizes
the importance of physical appearance, which Lil apparently cannot uphold to
the standards that her husband and the woman deem as desirable. However, they
fail to take into account that she has given birth to five children and had to
take pills to get an abortion that damaged her physical appearance. Yet, her
husband has been gone for four years and all he wants is to have sex. If she
does not “give it [to] him, there’s others [that] will.” This leads Lil to
receive mental abuse not just from her husband but also from others around her.
No matter what she does, she is still being punished.
Both women face
mental abuse from the men that they love for the men are merely interested in
the sex aspect of the relationship rather than the emotional aspect of the
relationship. This leads both women to torture themselves into either wondering
why the man cannot communicate or what the point of enduring such torture is for.
The women ultimately gain a meaningless sense of self for they are constantly being suppressed due to man's control.
This was a great close reading of "the Game of Chess" in Eliot's poem. I thought you did a great job with creating an argument and using both women in the poem to support what you wanted to get across to the reader. I would like to see you incorporate maybe how the title can also play into your argument. When I think of chess, I think of a lot of concentration to get into the mind of the opponent so that you can win. Maybe there is some connection between the title and the two women and their stories.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Justina, I think it would be really great to see the incorporation of "The Game of Chess" into your argument since it seems to figure very closely with what you are saying. I also think you could explore why we don't hear from Lil in the second quote. What significance does that have to your argument. Overall, great job with your close reading.
ReplyDeleteAndrea,
ReplyDeleteThis is an outstanding analysis of the poem. You did a great job in comparing and analyzing these two characters, and you made a great larger claim about how each woman struggles with the psychological torture that both their "man" and society put on them. My only suggestion is to sort out certain points that were a bit wordy in the essay. Overall great analysis, and a very clever title!
Andrea,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, great work! I have to be honest that your close reading helped me to understand a lot more about this section of the poem. You have a great argument of how mental abuse is just as torturous to these women even though it doesn't leave physical wounds. I like the way that you mentions the societal pressures around each woman's mental abuse, not just pressure for sex they feel from their husbands. It really helps in emphasizing the inescapable nature of their situations.
Andrea, I really like your focus and you do a great job analyzing the evidence used. This idea of mental abuse is a powerful topic and I'm glad it was addressed in your essay. Nice work!
ReplyDeleteThe notion of mental abuse and the underlying power struggle that comes with sex are great points in your argument. I agree with others in suggesting you incorporate your title ("Game of Chess") into your paper and expand upon the actual give-and-take that occurs within both interactions you cite.
ReplyDeleteAndrea,
ReplyDeleteI think you need a more concrete thesis statement. It took me a while to pinpoint exactly what your argument was. You have great textual evidence and I really liked the connections you drew between the characters. I also really liked how you formatted the essay. It flowed very well, Good Job!
Like others, I agree that there needs to be a little more of a clear thesis statement. You have good evidence, but I don't see you relating it to the poem, a thesis, or any arguments in general. I think with some rewording and additions to the analysis, this will be a nice paper.
ReplyDeleteI really liked this analysis. you do a great job with the textual evidence. You do a good job analyzing it, and it definitely supports your argument. Great job!
ReplyDeleteNice job, Andrea. Your post helped clear up a small part of this poem for me, so that is good. And it is cool that you brought emphasis to the fact that abuse can exist outside of physical violence. Just an idea you could consider or completely ignore: there is a strong connection between physical and mental abuse, and I think this part of the poem does speak to that: especially in that Lil is sort of physically abused in that her mental abuse influences her eventual damage to her body.
ReplyDeleteI thought you did a really great job analyzing this poem in your close reading. One problem I noticed was that I had a hard time figuring out your thesis statement. It almost seems that your argument is presented at the end. I think your argument would be more coherent if you presented your thesis clearly in the introduction. Other than that, great job!
ReplyDeleteI liked what other students have said about bringing in the role of the title, and the nature of a game of chess or a game in general, into your analysis. If it's a game, who is playing? Who is winning? How do we know?
ReplyDeleteI understand that that's not exactly what you're tackling in your analysis so far, but I think it's worth highlighting how exactly this back-and-forth plays out, and to what end.
This was a great analysis of the poem -- I know you helped me understand it more. You have good evidence and a thoughtful argument. I do think that thinking about the title would be really interesting, and I also noticed just a few typos in some of your sentences. I'd go back through and read it closer to check your syntax!
ReplyDeleteGreat analysis. I agree with Sarah in that I think the argument could be stated more clearly and earlier in the paper. In general I think the close reading is strong and the smaller points you make are all solid. It's just that broader thesis that would really pull it together.
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job analyzing a pretty confusing text. You did a really good job using evidence from the text and then explaining it. Something that might improve your paper is defining the phrase "mental frustration" because I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it.
ReplyDeleteGood analysis, this really helped me to understand more of the poem. Like others above me I would like to see you incorporate why the title is a game of chess. This could come in the introduction. Also it was hard for me to find a clear argument until the end. If you had a concrete thesis is would really help your argument. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the evidence you gave of the mental games that are being played by the lovers. I agree with the comments of working in the reader's interpretation of the title and its role in reading the poem as a whole. Does the woman seem to have any power in the poem or in this section? Be it mental or physical?
ReplyDeleteI really like that you point out that no matter what class women are, they are mentally abused by their husbands. You also do a good job making a distinction between the two in your essay. As others have said, I enjoy your "Game of Chess" title, so maybe delving a little bit more into that could strengthen your argument.
ReplyDeleteYou did a good job working with and interpreting the quotes. However you don't really explain how you arrive at those interpretations. It's always best to explain where exactly in the quotation you're pulling out your conclusions from.
ReplyDeleteI think that actually discussing the "Game of Chess" would push your argument to a new level. I think that in general, your discussion was thorough and you do a good job of both providing and unpacking evidence.
ReplyDeleteYour argument is well focused, and comes together well. I would like to see more evidence and analysis though, as opposed to diving right into telling me what you think. I do think you've done a good job.
ReplyDeleteLove the title! And I think it's great how echoes of the title and thesis run through out. Great unpacking of both female struggles this truly provided a backbone for your thought that this game of chess includes all women.
ReplyDeleteI liked the way you chose to focus on the existence of women within “The Wasteland” and their worth (or lack thereof) and roles they have. What your piece further causes me to wonder is what did Elliot seek to convey about women in general by choosing to define all of the women within this piece as “constantly being suppressed due to man’s control” as you stated at the end of your close reading.
ReplyDeleteThis essay really helped to clear up some confusion I had over this part of The Wasteland, so good job. The only thing I would suggest would be to make your thesis more focused and detailed. The whole intro was good, but a more direct thesis would have helped me as a reader to feel more focused in what your argument was.
ReplyDeleteI thought you did a very good job. You had a clear argument, good evidence, and you unpacked the quotes nicely.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I wasn't totally clear on what your thesis was. Your wording in the first paragraph was a bit confusing, which didn't help. I liked that you used a lot of textual support. I think if you worked on making your thesis clearer you'd have a really interesting essay.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a great thesis and definitely stick to it throughout your argument. Focus on your wording and syntax, i think some clarification there will really strengthen your points and make your argument that much more convincing.
ReplyDeleteAndrea,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your close reading. It's well organized, well-supported, and relevant. I think the only thing you could work on is perfecting some awkward wording... perhaps omit some of the "one can ____ if one does ____." Or, instead of saying, "described to live in such luxury," say, "described as living in luxury." Overall though, your argument is solid and your ideas are great. If you polish it up a bit, you'll do awesome!
Overall, a really great piece. You had an interesting argument that helped me understand the poem in a different way. Like Rachel's comment, I would try to avoid of the statements such as "gets a sense of" and "is able to get a clear distinction of." I noticed a few of these phrasings throughout the close reading, but I think if you went through a just tightened up some of the wording, you'd have a really strong piece on your hands.
ReplyDelete