***To save your time on reading this extremely long free-write, I thought I would just ask you guys to address these points in the comments. I want to write about victimization, and how women in the story are cast as victims (passive, defective, burdened)--does this seem like an arguable point? I plan on using the passage about the heart shaped cookie cutters, the flowers being watered by tears, the no nose and the Catholic woman are examples--do you think some work better than others?***
Miss Lonelyhearts, like many of his female readers, is not in a position to make drastic changes in his life. Working in a guaranteed job during the Great Depression, Miss Lonelyhearts is battling a severe case of depression due to the content of his readers’ letters and the impact they have had on his life. Miss Lonelyhearts, writing an advice column that appeals to mostly women, suffers a nervous breakdown due to being oppressed by being forced to stay in a position that causes him emotional distress. By examining his interactions with the letters he receives, one notices that he tries to temporarily align himself with the powerful male gender role, but his efforts are for naught, since he cannot escape his oppression.
Miss Lonelyhearts, like many of his female readers, is not in a position to make drastic changes in his life. Working in a guaranteed job during the Great Depression, Miss Lonelyhearts is battling a severe case of depression due to the content of his readers’ letters and the impact they have had on his life. Miss Lonelyhearts, writing an advice column that appeals to mostly women, suffers a nervous breakdown due to being oppressed by being forced to stay in a position that causes him emotional distress. By examining his interactions with the letters he receives, one notices that he tries to temporarily align himself with the powerful male gender role, but his efforts are for naught, since he cannot escape his oppression.
From the
very beginning of the novel, gender roles are submerged in irony, with the
advice column of “Miss Lonelyhearts” being penned by a man, “no one could fail
to recognize [as a] New England Puritan” (3). Not only is Miss Lonelyhearts a
man, he is a man with a strict and faith-based heritage that is plagued by these
“profoundly humble pleas for moral and spiritual advice, that they are
inarticulate expressions of genuine suffering” (32). Even if quitting were an
option for Miss Lonelyhearts, he “wouldn’t be able to forget the letters, no matter
what [he] did”, because the letters have forced Miss Lonelyhearts to reevaluate
his moral and religious code (32).
Instead
of trying to help his readership in productive ways, Miss Lonelyhearts reacts
to his letters in ways that reveal his resistance against a feminine gender
role. After reading a letter from a 16-year-old girl without a nose whose
father speculates that the reason behind her physical deformity is due to
something she did, “in the other world before I was born, or that maybe I was
being punished for his sins”
(2-3). Miss Lonelyhearts, having lit a cigarette before reading the
letter, found that the, “cigarette was imperfect and refused to draw. Miss
Lonelyhearts took it out o his mouth and stared at it furiously. He fought
himself quiet, then lit another one” (3). With each letter, Miss Lonelyhearts
lights a cigarette and the way he interacts with this one in particular reveals
his dissatisfaction with his job and life. Like “Desperate”, the author of the
letter, the cigarette is “imperfect” and “refused to draw” (3). Without a nose,
drawing air through the sinus cavity would be nearly impossible, and thus the
nose has lost a primary function—that is, providing an alternate way of
breathing. The cigarette, “refusing to draw”, is also failing at its capacity to
provide a person with the nicotine it seeks and has also lost its primary
function (3).
In response to this failure, Miss
Lonelyhearts, “stared at it
furiously” much like the girl’s mother “crys terrible” when she looks at her daughter
and similar to how her father tries to offer a reason behind her deformity (2).
By staring at his cigarette “furiously”, it appears Miss Lonelyhearts is trying
to place blame upon his self (for some unknown act that caused the cigarette to
not draw) or the cigarette itself (for being manufactured unable to draw). In
this way, Miss Lonelyhearts is trying to remove his self from the feminine
gender role (in which one is passive, and blamed directly and indirectly for
something beyond human control), and place his self within the male gender role
(in which one is aggressive, and has the capacity to place blame).
The desire
to rebel against a feminine gender role is best exemplified when Miss
Lonelyhearts tries to explain why his job makes him so unhappy. He tells his
girlfriend, Betty, that, “For the first time in his life, he is forced to
examine the values by which he lives. This examination shows him that he is the
victim of a joke and not its perpetrator” (32). Like his female readers, Miss
Lonelyhearts is not in a position of power, and therefore cannot be the
“perpetrator” joke. Rather, his position is one of a “victim”, someone who is
powerless to change the punch line or render the joke powerless by laughing—he
must simply endure and stay in his
position.
Miss
Lonelyhearts, working at a job that blurs gender roles, suffers a nervous
breakdown due to the fact that he, like his female readers, must be oppressed
and be the “victim” of life’s big joke. Had Miss Lonelyhearts been assigned to
write the sports column, he surely never would have had to re-evaluate his
moral and spiritual values and thus would not have been relegated to being in
the position of a “victim”—someone who is powerless to change the terms under
which they live and are judged. Although he tries to refute this “victim
status” by aligning his actions with those of the males within the letters
(i.e., blaming the cigarette), he nevertheless must continually return to a hated
job that drains him completely. For
Miss Lonelyhearts and his faithful readers, there is no escaping the fact that
they are the punch line of a cruel joke.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteGreat start! I think you are onto something with the idea of Miss Lonelyhearts trying to align himself with the typical male gender role. However, I am a little confused as to what you are actually arguing? I think if you gave the piece more of a focus your ideas will really shine through. One suggestion for doing this would be to eliminate some of the quotes you use. Yes, they are beneficial to include as support but I found myself being so confused with where they fit in and trying to keep track of what sentence I was on. Overall, good work!
I think that you have a really great idea for an argument that Miss. Lonelyhearts is trying to align himself with the male gender role to gain control in his life. However, I think that the body of your close reading doesn't support this argument in the best way. There is a lot of superfluous plot summary in the body of your close reading and some examples that are confusing and don't clearly support your argument. Perhaps find specific moments in the novel that point to Miss. Lonelyhearts attempts to align himself in a male gender role. Perhaps the moments where he is interacting with women like Mary Shrike and Betty.
ReplyDeleteI am slightly confused with what you are trying to argue and thus confused with how the cigarette scene ties into it? Also, I think that you use a few too many quotations and not enough analysis of the ones that you do use. I think that an argument showing the way that Miss Lonelyhearts rebels against his female "name" would be interesting, so I think you're on to something, I would just work on your execution.
ReplyDeleteI like your idea of Miss Lonelyhearts being placed in the opposite gender role, but i didn't really see that followed through. I wasn't exactly sure where your focus was heading as I finished the paper. you spent a lot of time talking about his cigarette and its relation to the letters. i would draw your ideas out of the parentheses to give them more strength.
ReplyDeleteJessica, that cigarette/nose connection is genius. Nice. I like what you're arguing, and all of your evidence helps a lot, but for some reason, I just have a feeling that you could use a bit more evidence to really buttress your thesis. Maybe one more example from the text. Maybe... the last scene with Mrs. Doyle? She takes on the male gender expectation by forcing herself on him, and then he tries to take it back by beating her, but then it's re-removed from him when he is oppressed by Mrs. Doyle's lying to her husband, who seeks revenge on him. I think that works well with what you're arguing.
ReplyDeleteI like that you made it clear what you want to focus on, but I think you're trying to tackle too much for a close reading. I think if you need more than a thesis statement to point out what you're focusing on, you're focusing on too much.
ReplyDeleteJess,
ReplyDeleteI really like your essay. Your argument is great and I think it is something that really deserves a lot of attention. This text is from a male perspective so it is very interesting to look at the women who are burdened from the men in their lives. You have great textual evidence and a well formulated argument.
LYLASS
So I want to comment on what you asked us to comment on and not your close reading. I think you could argue that women are cast as victims even though it seems a bit obvious. But Mrs. Doyle seems as if she is not a victim, but that she bullies her husband, the cripple. I did read your close reading though and like the topic and the cigarette connection. I like your close reading and I think you should use that topic.
ReplyDeleteThis is a good start to a close reading, but I think you tried to work with too much of the text, and as a result you lost your argument a little bit. Your strongest moments are your conclusions about the nose and your second-to-last paragraph. However, I'm struggling to see how the argument about the nose ties in with the overall argument of this paper. Is it the failure that makes them victims? If so, how? If not, what is it?
ReplyDeleteI'm going to parrot everyone else and say that you're tackling too much. In particular, you talk about gender roles/break gender roles, though you apparently want to talk about the victimization of the women characters. The two are related, but now that you've decided on your focus you need to trim the fat.
ReplyDeleteI think you have something really interesting here, but I had a difficult time following your argument. If you're arguing that Miss Lonelyhearts is a victim like the women, then your argument doesn't really start until the third paragraph. Just make sure your introducing the argument in the introduction and then develop that through the paper.
ReplyDeleteI think your quote works really well to align Miss Lonelyhearts with his reader, and therefore make him a victim. However, it was really confusing and I had to reread those two paragraphs many times over. If you introduced the quotes a little more, they might be more easy to follow.
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteYou clearly have good ideas and you're working a lot to get more out of the text- that's great. However, for the purpose of this assignment, I think you need to REALLY cut down on how much you're talking about and focus in on one specific thing pretty tightly. Focusing on victimization is very broad, and it doesn't translate very well throughout your close reading. You spend a good deal of time honing in on the nose letter/cigarette... I would say run with that, and tighten it up. Also, you have quite a bit of summary/quotations without analysis. Make sure every quote you add has a specific purpose for your argument. I like where you're going, just tease out the specifics!
Focusing on gender roles and victimization sounds like a great direction to go in from here. As you already stated, you realized you were tackling quite a lot of issues at first, so it is good that you ALREADY decided to narrow them down. I would pick one of the scenes you mention and run with it. You already have analysis on the girl with no nose that seems to be going somewhere, so I would continue with that.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a great analysis of the girl with no nose! The way you picked up on the comparisons between what the letter mentions and how Miss Lonelyhearts reacts to the cigarette is great! I was really intrigued by this and would love to see you develop the importance of this in fuller depth.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy your parallels between the girl sans nose and Miss lonelyhearts. I like the examination between the two scenes and characters and how each action has a similar one in the other. I think delving into this more and revealing the different emotions and sides to miss lonelyhearts would be extremely interesting. Your start is good but you say that the letters are depressing him, I don't think this is entirely true. I believe that he is perturbed or annoyed by them but not entirely saddened by them, at least not at first.
ReplyDeleteThis was a really fun start, and you made some really creative observations. I think, like others have said, you'll need to more explicitly prove the points of your arguments: Miss Lonelyhearts tries to align himself with male power, but he ultimately remains victim. And then, maybe, tell us why this happened and why it's important.
ReplyDeleteI really loved the nose/cigarette comparison. It was very clever. However, I think that you need to articulate your argument better. As you can see, several people (myself included) have said they found it confusing. If you can make your argument clear and tie in the nose/cigarette scenario, this will be a great close read.
ReplyDeleteThis is a good start. You have a lot to work with, probably too much.
ReplyDeleteOne thing in particular I would suggest is how you introduce your quotes. Rather than including some all in one sentence, which can be confusing, introduce the quote through 1-2 sentences and then deliver it. Doing so will allow your paper to be read more easily.
The point you have chosen to argue, of women being victimized, is of course arguable, however, it is not that simple. If I were you, I would work through your argument to simply it, otherwise there are too many claims you are making. For instance; you could say, women are objectified as being advisable. In which case, you could support this by explaining why the man has chosen to be known as, "Miss Lonelyhearts", etc.
ReplyDeleteLIke everyone else, I think your analysis of the girl with no nose and the cigarette is a great example of what you're trying to argue. If you just focused on that and went more in depth with your reasoning behind your quotations and evidence, I believe you would have a very strong paper! Great job so far!
ReplyDeleteIn response to your comment at the beginning of your post, I think you should focus on what you feel is your strongest argument. You try to cover too many topics in this short post and your argument kind of gets lost in the middle. I had trouble following what you were trying to accomplish in this close reading. A lot of people agree that your cigarette/nose angle is your strongest point. I suggest for your revision, frame a thesis around that topic and just focus on that. Narrowing your focus will make your paper easier to follow and will you help you pose one strong argument.
ReplyDeleteJess,
ReplyDeleteI like your concept as Miss Lonelyhearts as the victim, but I think you could address the idea of ML being a Christ-like figure as well. Yes he is a victim, but he also has the ability to help others, if he chooses. I think that if you somehow used this counterpoint to strengthen your argument then your paper will make a stronger case for itself.
I like the way you want to discuss how women in the story are portrayed as victims, especially in terms of their passivity. I think that you have somewhat begun to do this so far in your close reading, especially with your close analysis of “Desperate’s” letter and how she can be viewed as defective and the way Miss Lonelyhearts reacts to her letter. Another area of your close reading that I found to be very strong is how in the last paragraph you mention that if Miss Lonelyhearts would have been writing the sports column he wouldn’t have had to re-evaluate so many things about himself. I think you could go further with that point by discussing how it has gendered implications.
ReplyDeleteI am trying to see how you would make an argument of the women being victimized and it can be done. However, I don't think it's an original argument so you are really going to have to dig deep and figure out the "so what?" of the women being victimized. Once you do, I think you can totally make it work!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for helping us focus our read. You have some great ideas to work with. My question for you about how women are cast a victims. Miss Lonelyhearts receives letters from both men and women: does this complicate your argument? Or is it that a specific type of person is victimized not just women?
ReplyDeleteTackling a smaller chunk will allow you to dig deeper and present a stronger argument. Great start!
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteI think the ideas you express in the "pre" close reading section of your post are arguable, but I'm not sure I really see these ideas clearly portrayed in your actual close reading -- but I understand that you were really trying to use this as a free write. That being said, I might try to develop some of your arguments a bit more and more centrally focus them on the quotations.
Nice work Jessica! I really like your focus and you definitely have a lot to work with - maybe too much - which makes it difficult to either provide as much evidence from the text as possible, or to hone on one specific scenario from the text. I agree with jazmin, who wrote that you could focus more on how he had to reevaluate his own self from reading about these other selfs. And you say this in so many words, but it's a strong idea in itself (too many 'selfs' going on here). Also, it might be beneficial for you to reread the scene in the bar where his friends are openly talking about women needing to be raped. I think this is a very telling scene in the shift of Miss Lonelyhearts character, and you could include that, and how his personality begins to shift in the real world, outside the letters.
ReplyDeleteGood job Jess! I really liked all the detail you put into your response, and I think your thesis is really strong. I would say maybe you want to skim it down a bit and find a more definitive focus. I feel like you're covering way too much and your argument gets lost in there. If you do that I bet the rest of your paper will fall right into place.
ReplyDelete