Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Occupancy of the Uncanny in the Lives of Karla and Helen

Throughout history women have been portrayed as gentle, forgiving creatures. Women have been deemed incapable of any real harm to fellow humans or their surroundings by society; they are never posed as a threat. These angelic images seem to muddle the way we think about reality. In turn, these misconceptions about reality make the texts Killing Killers: Women on Death Row in the United States and Machinal much more unsettling. These two texts place female protagonists in the middle of a setting gone askew. Along with their surroundings, the two women, Karla and Helen display characteristics of the uncanny and similarities to each other. It is through the overt use of the uncanny in these texts that allows the reader to discover a new role for female characters, including how they fall into or out of gender stereotypes.

One is prompted to think about what the typical death row inmate looks like when reading Killing Killers. Most would not answer with the description that is Karla Faye Tucker and her true story. Described as a “Bible-reading, angelic looking woman with pink-tinged lips, lightly freckled face and cascading dark curls” (Shipman 2002, 287). These looks depict a nymph rather than a murderer. Though Tucker is just that, she brutally murdered two people with a pickaxe. The uncanny lies in the fact that Tucker, as a woman, took on the normally masculine role of predator. This fact is only magnified by the sadistic comment that Tucker made to her brother; she said “she had an orgasm every time she swung the axe that Killed Jerry Dean” (O’Shea 1999). Tucker lived a destructive life of sex, drugs, and rock and roll at a very young age. This lack of a traditional upbringing continues to build the foundation of Tucker’s uncanny existence. Though it is after she is convicted, Tucker falls back into a common gender role for women. This reversal away from the uncanny brought Tucker back to the American public, “the media focus on the stereotypically beautiful repentant bad woman made the image of Karla at the end of her life undeniably appealing” (O’Shea 80). During her 14 year stint on death row, Tucker turned away from the uncanny gender role she previously took up and begin to go the more traditional route.

On the opposite side of these events the reader will find Helen in the story Machinal. Helen is a conflicted damsel in distress. Life, family, and love weigh her down. No one seems to understand her plight as she walks through the scenes of the play. Like Turner, Helen occupies a gender role, but it is one that the audience has been confronted with time and time again. Helen begins to grow weary of this mundane lifestyle. She eventually murders the man she is married to (Treadwell 59). This comes as a complete shock to the audience, especially when the play was published in 1928. A male dominated society was certainly not ready to see a female protagonist kill off her husband. The character of Helen falls into the uncanny once the act of murder is complete. She seems as though we would have known her character and her path within the play. This action completely throws away any preconceived notions about the character. Helen has completely done away with any gender roles assigned to her by the society reading the play.

The surroundings of the two women also play a part in making the reader uncomfortable. Tucker’s setting is in prison; there she found God and a new view on life. She became thoroughly immersed in the gospel and repented for what she did. There “a murderer who, in the moment of death, chooses life” (O’Shea 80) is a true unfamiliar description of a life. Prison is depicted as a place of low morals and waning hope. There, Tucker was given a new life, including a husband. Tucker falls into a typical gender role in an atypical surrounding. Helen’s surroundings do not necessarily contrast her mood, but perpetuate it until it reaches a breaking point. The opening scene of the play is the office where she works and the interactions with her coworkers. These and other interactions in the novel come off as animatronics and fake. Placing the audience and the main character in the middle of a cold, mechanical world. The reader is familiar with the surroundings but instantly perturbed by the way it interacts with Helen. These surroundings force the characters to continue to convey their uncanny personalities.

It is through eerie images and unsettling role reversals that these two women connect with the audience. The two women meet at a crossroads in their journey. One leaves a life of sin and brutality and the other delving into murder. The uncanny serves as a tool to portray these women and their stories in a certain light; to strip the notions the reader has about a role a woman should have.

26 comments:

  1. I think you create a strong argument for women who act outside of expect gender norms. You make a point in your paragraph about the Machinal that the ending is shocking. I think this is at odds, though, with how the play is packaged. Under plot, Treadwell writes "The Plot is the story of a woman who murders her husband - an ordinary young woman, any woman." So I'm not sure how shocking the ending is meant to be. Possibly audiences knew going in that she was a murderer. It might be useful to back up that claim with more support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah,
    Great post! I really enjoy your depiction of how two women can commit crimes of murder but both fall into or out of the gender stereotypes as "killers". I especially like the point you make in the first sentence of your conclusion and think you should mention it earlier. Also, I think it would be interesting to talk a little more about how these women complicated the typical image of a death row inmate as a brutish male. You have wonderful ideas and your argument really comes through. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've got a great piece! I like how you talk about the uncanny, it might reinforce and strengthen the points you make throughout. I just have some questions you may want to consider: You mention Tucker's early childhood as being destructive. Do you think this may have contributed to her act of murder? How did her being caught lead her to change and become a "sweetheart"? Is her ability to change from delinquent to repentant perhaps unheimlich?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you get off to a good start in identifying these important ideas of conformity/nonconformity within specific environments. I think you could further analyze specific instances in the play and the article that speak to this point, especially in the third and fourth paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comparison of Karla to Helen is rather thought provoking and interesting. An idea you might choose to explore in order to further your arguement might be society's reactions to Karla and Helen. Society tends to ignore or not really listen to Helen whereas society ignored Karla during her upbringing and only paid attention after the murders, and even then, it was tumultuous attention, equally positive and negative whilst being gender-specific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The argument at the center of this piece is interesting and I think you're on the way to having a strong close reading. However it feels like you're relying a little too heavily on the O'Shea article, as if it were a work of fiction when it is not. I think this paper would be more interesting and perhaps stronger if you reorganized your thoughts and focused primarily on the Treadwell play, using the O'Shea article to support your argument as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noah,

    I liked your piece overall. I thought that you could have unpacked the quotes a little bit better and that if you used more specific moments from the text then your argument would be stronger. Overall this is a very good draft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make a lot of strong arguments here. I like how you quote the description of Karla because of its obvious disconnect to what most people would think of as a murderer. By defying this role, the reader is caught off guard. The gender roles in Machinal are also called into question and challenged. You did a great job connecting the two. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only thing your response needs is more Inception.

    Which is to say, you need to go deeper.

    Which is to say, I've been recycling jokes from 2010 all week.

    But honestly, you make strong arguments and have an interesting perspective on the texts you're working with, but you need to dig deeper into each text. You give the reader a smattering of small quotes within very large paragraphs, where you could be further supporting your ideas with even more textual evidence. What you're saying is fine, you just need to bolster your evidence somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! Your argument became really interesting when you explored how Helen and Karla functioned within their environments. I think focusing deeper on this aspect of gender stereotypes would make for a stronger close read of both of the texts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed reading this piece and thought that you made a lot of great claims. One thing that I would do is focus in on the play more than the article, but use the article as a means of supporting your argument. I liked that you brought in the uncanny to create your argument and thought you did a great job in interpreting these texts. I thought that your argument carried through the entire piece and you had a strong thesis. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a lot of good ideas in this piece. I like how you state that Karla goes from being an atypical woman and murderer to a more standard type woman, whereas Helen begins as a standard type woman and becomes an atypical woman and murderer. I would ask though, what does that say about gender roles as a whole? What is the significance that Karla became a typical woman? Does that make her out to be better than Helen at the end of each respective story? I think this piece has a lot of potential. Don't be afraid to delve a little deeper into your argument though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everyone that you can do more with your evidence to help strengthen your argument. And I was also a little confused at the beginning because you state that the two women are similar, but from what you're saying they seem different (but I might have been missing something.) Other than that, great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love the topic you've chosen, and your writing is very convincing. I know other people have said it, but just keep going deeper and further nuancing your argument. Also, I'd maybe go back and check for a few typos if I were you!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hullo, Noah. I'm going to echo what everyone else has said and tell you to delve deeper into what you already have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you have a really interesting start here. My suggestion would be to dig deeper. I feel like the third paragraph is your best work. I think the beginning has a few generalizations that weaken the piece. For example: Women have been deemed incapable of any real harm to fellow humans or their surroundings by society; they are never posed as a threat and Most would not answer with the description that is Karla Faye Tucker and her true story. I think you can make these claims, but I think they have to be made through the text, or in a less generalized way. They are vital to your argument, but the come off as personal opinions to me.
    I understand your use of uncanny, and I like it, but I would try to unpack that word a little bit more.
    Overall, I like your argument, and I think you have made a really good start.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You’re argument and focus of your close reading grabbed my attention right from the introductory paragraph. I also find it interesting that by comparing the Treadwell play and the O’shea article you’re calling attention to the fact that social expectations of what a murderer looks like, especially in regards to gender, is an expectation that extends to fictional depictions as well as to true life incidents. My only suggestion would be to go further with the idea of Helen completing doing away with any gender roles assigned to her by society by considering why it was important to Helen to finally do away with those assigned gender roles and the effects they’d had on her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this was a very interesting and well thought out piece. The usage of the uncanny is great in that society sets these roles yet as women step outside of them society still is questioned with the way of confronting the issue. I agree with what others have stated before unpacking more and presenting multiple examples would help strengthen this piece. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed your close read. Way to look at the two pieces and focus on both equally as well. I think some minor re-organization of sentences and such would be just about the only suggestion I have for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you have an interesting focus for you paper. Like everyone else said, expanding upon your ideas could help strengthen your argument even more. Overall, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like your post and your use of the word uncanny was interesting. I think in your fourth paragraph you get into some significant material, and like everyone else is saying, I think that would be a good place for you to expand on your points and take your argument a bit further.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Noah,

    I think you're off to a great start, but you need some clarification. I think it would be a good idea to clearly define how you're using the term "the uncanny," because this term could mean many different things. There's also points in your argument where you make generalizations about society (such as "A male dominated society was certainly not ready to see a female protagonist kill off her husband") and that can be really risky. I would only make claims you can back up with evidence. I also think the generalizations about women you make at the introduction of your paragraph could be cut down or eliminated.

    For me, the most interesting part of your argument was about how their environment was "uncanny," rather than just their actions. I would focus more on this!

    Other than that, great draft!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Intriguing read. You bring up interesting claims and support them.

    I do have a question about your intro. When you say "throughout history," whose history are you implying? That sentence threw me off a bit. Perhaps you could clarify your statement more so the reader has an idea of the part of history you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First I would get rid of your generalized statement of "Throughout history..." because it goes along with what we talked about in class with being specific even when it comes to saying "society" or any other generalized term. Haha whoa...I just read Mike's post above me and that we said pretty much the same thing! But yeah just be careful with that. Also, I found your last paragraph most interesting. I know that is what you tried to convey throughout your essay but I don't think it came off as strong as you would have liked. I think if you have a stronger focus or just explain your paper better it would greatly improve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You picked a solid topic about gender stereotypes, but introduced the uncanny, which was a cool idea. I felt you could have made your intro paragraph a bit cleaner, but overall I found the paper cohesive and put together well. Be careful about generalizations without evidence, I made the same mistake and had to write around that a lot in my second draft. Other than that good job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you have a really interesting argument and I liked that you incorporated both of the texts together. I think that you could potentially compare and contrast the women in cleaner more cohesive ways but for a first draft this is really good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.