Monday, February 13, 2012

Clothing and the Male Gaze

The film Dirty Pretty Things uses costume design to work against the accepted practices of portraying woman in films. Film theorist’s Laura Mulvey writes about the ‘male gaze,’ explaining that woman are often represented in film through a patriarchal lens that encourages the objectification of woman in films for the enjoyment of male viewers (Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema). However, Dirty Pretty Things is a film that uses conservative costume design to prevent its female characters from being seen as sex objects and instead protects the female characters from the objectification and therefore violence created by the male gaze.

There are two main female characters in Dirty Pretty Things, Senay and Juliette. The costume design used for both is far more concealing than the attire worn by women in other modern films. For example, even though Juliette’s character is a prostitute, the outfits she wears throughout the film are hardly scandalously revealing. In fact, the most provocative clothing of her outfits is her bra straps which are always visible (0:06:40). Otherwise, her body remains mostly covered, her shirts do not have plunging necklines nor are her skirts or dresses unimaginably short. By keeping her body at least moderately covered, the film negates the normal expectations of prostitutes as a sexual object for the male gaze. A notable character to juxtapose her with is Vivian Ward from Pretty Woman. In her opening scene Vivian, also a prostitute, is wearing a tube top connected to a mini skirt that exposes much of her midriff, along with thigh high boots (0:05:19). Here the costume design very obviously adheres to the ideology of woman, specifically prostitute, as sexual objects subject to the male gaze.

Furthermore, even in her sex scene with the doorman, Juliette appears mostly dressed. She is seen in her tank top with her bra on, straps showing, her skirt is on (though only shown briefly), and Juliette is even still wearing her shoes (0:32:00). Again the film sets up false expectations by having Juliette explicitly say she is going to have sex with the doorman, but the sex scene is anything but a sexually charged display of female nudity. This false expectation humanizes Juliette in a way that protects her from the objectifying male gaze.

Senay’s costume design is also used to promote her as a person not an object. Throughout the film Senay is portrayed in layers; she wears not only a shirt but also a sweater or a jacket on top of the shirt (0:05:26, 0:18:49, 0:26:19). These layers work as protection against the male gaze; her body is not there to be stared at or sexualized, it is wrapped beneath layers of modest clothing. Additionally, even when there are opportunities for the film to dress Senay more provocatively the director does not. For example in the bathroom scene where Okwe’s use of the kitchen sink prevents her bathtub from filling, Senay is seen in a large white robe which does not expose more of her body than a tee shirt would (0:18:00). The director could have chosen to show Senay in only a towel that barely covered her body; instead, the robe is used leaving her far more covered than exposed. Each of these instances presents Senay a woman, not an object, who seeks to be protected from the male gaze.

In fact, when Senay is forced to perform oral sex on her boss at the clothing factory, she is surrounded by hundreds of clothes (0:48:00). The set is literally enclosed with clothing, emphasizing the completely de-sensualized atmosphere of this sexual abuse. Senay bites her boss the next time he tries to force her to perform oral sex and afterwards steals some of the clothes that are hanging (0:59:16). She steals a coat that covers her up entirely; the coat is an attempt to shield her body from other assaults, both from the viewers through the male gaze and from the characters within the film.

However Senay is again sexually assaulted, yet she continues to seek to protect her body from the male gaze. In the scene with Sneaky, Senay is once more shown in a full body covering robe. She tells Sneaky, “You do not see me, you just do; take it or leave it” (1:11:53). The importance here is placed on Senay negating from the very start that the viewers will see an explicit sex scene. Senay is protecting her body from Sneaky’s gaze and also the male gaze that Mulvey argues films seek to gratify. Here, not only conservative clothing but also Senay’s words work to protect her from the male gaze and the violence it causes by objectifying woman.

The film’s use of costume design that strives to be concealing instead of revealing makes it hard for the woman in the film to be viewed as sexual objects. By doing so, the male gaze, as constructed by Laura Mulvey, is rejected by the film as its characters seek protection from the violence the male gaze can cause. The male gaze is dangerous because it prompts the objectification of women by mass audiences for the gratification of male desires. Dirty Pretty Things is aware of these expectations and thereby works against them even though this is a film that deals with sexual violence against women.

29 comments:

  1. I thought this was a great topic to focus in on in Dirty Pretty Things. One does not always look at the costumes of characters and what it represents critically. I thought that by comparing the prostitute of Dirty Pretty Things and Pretty Woman was a great use of how costume can create a deeper significance of what is wanted to be portrayed through the film. You did a great job focusing on one part of the film and looking closely into that one particular thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that pointing out the way that the costumes are utilized to humanize the women in the film Dirty Pretty Things is very interesting. You do a great job of supporting your argument with moments in the film. I also think that the way that you extract deeper meaning from the costume design is interesting and provides for a good argument. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your paper. I thought it was interesting how you compared Juliette with Vivian from Pretty Woman, because you are right, she isn't scantily dressed at all. Even though the women are covered up though, Senay is still sexually abused. Maybe in your revision you could try to cover why the attempts to protect her still failed? I know you cover how it was her decision to leave the lights off and allow it to happen; however, maybe you could analyze a little on the power dynamics of men over women or even immigrants versus corruptible citizens like the hotel boss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a very interesting essay. You could relate this essay to Temple and her rain coat as well if you wish. Senay, like Temple, uses a coat to shield her body from the outside world. I think the connection between the two texts could be very interesting. I agree with Madeline that you could also discuss how she failed in trying to protect herself. I really enjoyed your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Your topic was extremely interesting and very clear. I thought you had great examples and your analysis was really good. I especially like your last paragraph where you discuss why the male gaze is problematic. Perhaps you could expand upon the importance of this and the problematic nature of sexualizing women with costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fascinating post - you had my attention from the very first sentence. I think your discussion here is thorough and nicely structured. The only thing I might suggest is that you briefly touch on religion as a counter-argument for Senay's conservative wardrobe. I certainly think your work here is convincing enough, but an inclusion (and subsequent disqualification) of counter-arguments usually makes a paper even better than it already is. It's like saying, "Well, sure, you could say that - but here's why you'd be wrong if you did!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very nicely written. It's an original argument and you did a great job outlining it. I think by making them dress more conservatively, it allows the audience to sympathize with the women more. It's like in the beginning of class when we talked about how some people might blame the woman for getting raped just because she was wearing a scandalous outfit. By Juliette not dressing as a sex object, viewers are able to look past the idea that she is a prostitute and see her as a human being who is working to get by. Senay symbolizes the image of innocence so it makes sense that she would dress conservatively. I get that the way they dress helps protect them from the male gaze but it still doesn't take away the fact that they are still being used for sex by most of the male characters in the hotel, except for Okwe. Perhaps you'd like to look more into that. Yet, I know you pay attention to the male gaze of the viewers so I'd like to touch on that too. Even though the women have a conservative costume design, it does not take away the fact that they are still being abused. The viewers are still able to use their imaginations in what is going on in the scene and the women are still being objectified. So yeah like Madeline, perhaps investigate the power dynamics more and see if it is fitting for your paper. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This paper definitely held my attention. I think you have a lot of strong evidence, and you prove your point that the movie avoids the male gaze, thus humanizing women. I would love to see you expand on your last sentence -- why is this movie still about sexual violence against women, even without clothing (thus victim blaming) being a motivation? What does this mean to the message of the movie as a whole, and thus to the audience? I really enjoy this topic. I wish I could see your final draft!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool topic. This response opened my eyes to the finer points of the film. You also do a great job of describing and supporting your claims without a lot of summary.

    I think it would help you to discuss further why despite their conservative costumes, the women are still sought after and eventually abused either mentally or physically. In a sense, they are still sex objects at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make a great and unique argument, and you forced me to think about the film in a new light. Other than the fact that it is a tiny bit long, I have nothing negative to say about this paper. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! Your close read was very easy to follow with your use of examples and descriptions of clothing throughout the film. I like that you connected it to Pretty Woman and thought you did a nice job of getting out what you wanted to say. A counter argument could strengthen your point, if you wanted to add it, but otherwise, great job! I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in agreement with everyone else; I'm not used to reading about wardrobe analysis, so it was really fascinating to read. And you provided so much evidence to support your claim. I do wonder, though: there is still the fact that the women are objectified in the sex acts they are forced to do. So, what does the relationship between the objectifying actions and the humanizing clothing communicate?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle,

    Your post is interesting, well-supported, well-written, and well-organized. As a whole, you nailed it. I enjoyed reading your interpretation (which is definitely not something most people would pick up up) and I thought you argued your point extremely well.

    My only question for you echoes what some of the other commenters are bringing up: What about the counter argument? I see how modest clothes desexualize the women (clearly your point), and I definitely see this hold up for Senay. However, do you think that clothes really desexualize Juliette? Her profession (by choice, I'm sure to an extent) is to willingly have sex with random men for money. Her clothes may help to distract from this dirty truth, but it's not being covered. Juliette sexualizes herself by choice... how much does her clothing really matter in the big picture? Just some food for though.

    Overall, this was a fantastic post. Truly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very interesting topic you bring up, and something i didn't consider. i like it! the only thing is, i'm 99% sure senay is muslim, which to me would explain her conservative dress. perhaps you could find a way to incorporate that?
    it's very apparent to me that you have done a through job with your research and i think that pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really interesting topic! Firstly, I felt that your thesis was worded a little weird because I had to re-read it to understand what you were trying to say. And like the person before me said, Senay is Muslim so I think you should look into that and see if it has any affect on her wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very fun and unique piece to analyze. As everyone else has mentioned, it kept my interest the entire way through. Also, as others have mentioned I would acknowledge the background of these two women as far as beliefs/religion. Senay might dress differently because of this, and if you mention that it could refute potential counter-arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great topic and argument. I love how you talk about the male gaze and use how it is usually portrayed in films and then how Dirty Pretty Things goes against this. I also love your comparison with Pretty women. All I would like to see is what effect does this have on the audience then that the women are covered up? Does it allow the audience to focus on other, more important themes in the film? Great job, I really like your close reading and evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was an awesome response! I really liked the way you wrote it, I thought it was clear and thoughtful, as well as extremely well organized and original. I don't have any critique that hasn't already been given yet — maybe just your comparison of Vivienne from Pretty Woman could probably be an entirely different response in and of itself. You touch on it briefly, but I wonder if we could compare the story of Juliette to other notable prostitutes and compare her behavior/dress to theirs. That could be a really interesting take.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your close-reading was exceptionally well done and really honed in on an idea that I hadn't really noticed. It reminds me of advice I received from my professor about traveling in France; basically, she told us that American women should keep in mind that modest clothing (long skirts, no plunging necklines, no short shorts, etc.) is better in France because the French women wear modest clothing and the French men are not used to seeing these things. "It makes them go crazy", according to my French professor. It might be worthwhile to check out whether this is a typical Londoner style of dress or if this really was a pertinent part of the film. I don't even know what time period the film was made or if it is an American film, but these things are worth looking into in order to further your argument. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The focus on costume design is extremely interesting. I am confused by some things in your closing argument. You say the women are desexualized and it is hard for them to be viewed as sexual objects. Yet these woman are subject to sexual abuse by men. They are still being objectified regardless of their clothing. If there is no "male gaze" why are the characters trying to escape/hide from it? These are just a few things I noticed that slowed your argument and possibly contradicted it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really liked your argument, but I would agree with Noah to an extent (with a modification): the fact that Juliette and Senay are made into sexual objects does somewhat contradict your point. Do you mean that the male gaze is thwarted for the film's viewer/audience, rather than for the other characters? The notion of rejecting the male gaze is still complicated by the fact that they are made into sexual objects, regardless of whether you're referring to the audience or to the other characters.

    Other than that, your response had me thinking about how the film hides or chooses not to show things in general - much of the violence of the movie is just offscreen, we never actually see any surgeries occuring, etc. That's not something I think you need to include in your response, just a train of thought that you sparked.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that you did a great job of addressing the issue of women in films being objectified through the male gaze and examining how Dirty Pretty Things seems to go against the grain and not portray its key female characters in this way. Although you thoroughly explained this phenomena within films and analyzed the way in which it seemingly doesn’t happen in this film, I still feel that your close reading is missing a “so what?” factor. Although Juliette and Senay’s bodies are not visually objectified within the film for the male gaze, their bodies are still defiled by men and at some points throughout the film even their dignity. I think that this alternate way in which the women in the film are objectified is something that also deserves attention and possibly you could discuss this as well within your close reading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your argument is very clear and well supported. You did a great job doing a close reading on the movie (i especially liked what you brought to Senay's factory scene), even without having any text readily available. I think it's important to note that even though these women are covered by clothing, they are still objectified by other characters. what does this say about the expectations for the characters within the movie and the audience watching?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed this close reading. The use of a secondary source was really beneficial to the argument. I think that you used a sufficient amount of analysis and evidence that was relevant to the argument. The only thing you may want to consider revising is the closing paragraph. I noticed many thought you contradicted your argument here. With a little more clarification, this can be avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought this was a very unique take on the movie. I really liked that you noticed the costume design and was able to make that connection to the objectification of women. I would have never thought of that. Your example with Pretty Woman was also really effective and strengthened your argument a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoyed your close reading. I particularly found it interesting when you talked about Senay stealing clothes from the sweatshop as an additional way to shield herself (I thought this made your argument more believable). While you start to address the "so what" factor at the end of your piece, I think you could take it a step further. As Jazmen stated in her comment, the women's bodies are still defiled by men. What do you make of this?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked this. I liked the way you looked at clothing as a way to make an object. I feel like you made a solid argument and it is supported.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really liked this paper because i could argue against it, and i appreciate how you used a film studies approach to the film (vs using it like a written text). Like others, i think the weakness in your paper is due to your failure to address the issue of women still being victims of male gaze/violence even though they are not "on display".

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great topic with a lot of analysis that I really enjoyed. Like others, I am also thrown by the claim that the women are deaexualized despite their sexual abuse. Other than that I thought this was great.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.