Monday, February 20, 2012

Miss Lonelyhearts, the Female Parallel, and Christ as the Answer


Throughout the story, the main character is referred to as “Miss Lonelyhearts”, despite being a man.  The reader is never presented with Miss Lonelyhearts real name, and is instead left only with an image of a depressed man seeking a way out of his lonely life.  The fact that he is given the title of “Miss” is significant in that it parallels Miss Lonelyhearts with the females who write the letters of despair through the mutual lack of Christ in both parties lives.

By referring to him with a female title, West uses irony to describe Miss Lonelyhearts’ inability to help the women who to write him by showcasing his connection and understanding of their feelings. Miss Lonelyhearts describes how “the letters were no longer funny” and that they had all been “ stamped from the dough of suffering with a heart-shaped cookie knife” (1).  Here we see a metaphor not only for the letters themselves, but also to Lonelyhearts’ connection to the female sphere.  West connects the letters to baking, seen as primarily a female activity (especially in that time period), and emphasizes how Miss Lonelyhearts can understand the pain in them, claiming that what he once thought funny no longer is.  The fact that he once found the suffering of women as humorous can bee seen as a reference to when he was more of a “man”, before the persona of “Miss” overtook him. 

As “Miss Lonelyhearts”, Lonelyhearts is left with a need to help the women who write him. He explains to Betty how he “can’t quit…even if [he] were able to quit, it wouldn’t make a difference. [He] wouldn’t be able to forget the letters” (32).  Despite this desire to help the women, he finds himself unable to.  The monotony of the suffering that filtered through to his desk everyday had left him numb and cold.  He knew that “Christ was the answer, but, if he did not want to get sick, he had to stay away from the Christ business” (3).   This idea that he knows that the best way to help these women is by leading them to Christ, yet it is the one thing he is unable to make himself do.  He himself is unable to find Christ, despite his awareness for his need, and this inability to find Christ not only causes him physical illness, but also makes him miserable.  He connects so deeply to the women who write him through his title as “Miss Lonelyhearts” that he begins to feel their pain himself.  Physically sick with their pain, Miss Lonelyhearts is trapped in a cycle that never ends, and reflects how “Shrike accelerated his sickness by teaching him to handle his one escape, Christ, with a think glove of words” (33).  Here we see how Miss Lonelyhearts understands that finding Christ will save him, but is prevented to find Christ himself because he is prevented from helping his readers to find Him. As long as the women in the story are deprived of this escape, so will Miss Lonelyhearts be, so long as he is Miss Lonelyhearts.

Although he is in all actuality a man, Miss Lonelyhearts still feels the pain and suffering of the women, unable to use Christ as his escape as long as the readers cannot. The significance of Miss Lonelyhearts as the only male character to truly feel despair and hatred comes with his title as “Miss Lonelyhearts”.  Not only do his readers view him as a woman, but also his actual job as an advice columnist is the very thing that connects him with the suffering of the writers. Because he is the only male who has to directly read the letters and is the only male who has the power to help give the women Christ as the answer, he is the only man in the story who can be paralleled with them, and therefore the only one to feel as they feel.  It is this unique ability that gives his title as “Miss” importance, and is the reason that he cannot simply quit, as Betty wishes him to. His only escape from his title and his pain is to deliver the answer to the women, so both parties may be saved. 

29 comments:

  1. First of all, I think this is a very well written response with a clear focus. I really like the connection and irony you point out of the term "Miss" being the title for our main character. I think it is important to consider how he and his female writers parallel each other and have their mutual lack of belief in Christ. The only argument that you make that I disagree with is at the end of your second to last paragraph when you use the quote to say this is where Lonelyhearts understands Christ will save him. Maybe revisit when this moment shifts in the text again. Overall, great response!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is definitely a good start and you have a lot of great ideas here. I'm glad that you chose to tackle the issue of the main male figure of the book being referred to as "Miss" throughout the text. I would like to see you push your reading a little bit further and maybe talk about how the fact that he is referred to as "Miss" and thus, as you argue, able to connect with his female readers so readily complicated by the fact that Miss Lonelhearts sleeps with them? Other than that, great start; good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great and very clear focus here. I really like your mentions of irony, and I think it would be interesting if you could reference it more throughout your paper. I would have liked more evidence/support for your claims, especially in the second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you have here. This is the thought path I went through after reading your post regarding the Miss L/Christ parallel; maybe you can use it to add some stuff:

    Christ is: God who willingly becomes Man and offers himself as a sacrifice to save Man.
    Miss L. is: Man who inadvertently becomes Woman (Miss) and tries to offer Christ as the means to save Woman (and himself?)

    I think the key differences here (willing vs. inadvertent, Christ sacrificing self vs. Miss L sacrificing Christ) might point to the reasons for Miss Lonelyhearts's failure. Just something to consider incorporating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a really good start so far. I especially liked your discussion of the irony that Miss. Loneyhearts is a male and how this persona has overtaken him. I think you could expand upon this idea to push your close reading further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I see where you're going with this, but I just don't see enough evidence to be convinced. You have a good introductory paragraph, but I think there should be another sentence before the thesis to set it up a little more. It seems to me that the thesis doesn't connect well with the rest of the introduction

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good start. I see your connection between Miss Lonelyhearts and the women who write to him, but I think there should be more evidence. Also I think you should explain more of the lack of Christ in the intro when you introduce it. Your first couple of words should be changed to "Throughout Miss Lonely Hearts" instead of "Throughout this story" just so your reader is clear which story your referring to. The last paragraph also you comment that Miss Lonelyhearts is the only one who feels hatred. I would disagree with this because Mr. Doyle feels hatred towards him at the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you need more introduction to lack of Christ within the characters lives. Is his acknowledgement of Christ the only reason he is able to sympathize with the women? Other than that, I really like this essay. You bring up so very interesting topics as well as some great support for your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really good start to a close reading. Your argument is clear and you stick with it fairly well throughout the paper. I am curious, though, how you would interpret the ending of the story to fit your argument. Keep that in mind when you get around to editing this paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may just be bad at reading, but even at the end of your response I'll still confused about the connection between Miss Lonelyhearts' "gender bending" (if you will) and finding Christ. I simply don't understand the connection (which I'll admit, might be my own fault).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Logan, I'm not sure how these two topics are connected. If you explain it better and make it a part of your argument your paper will read better. But if you're not able to do that you might have to just focus on one topic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you have two important ideas in this paper, but that together, they might be too much to try and cover in one paper. For the Miss Lonelyhearts as "gender bending" I think it is really important to keep in mind that it is not Miss Lonelyhearts who chooses this title; it's the narrator and his coworkers. How does that effect gender bending? Additionally, with Christ, how does gender play into an understanding of Christ? There might be a connection here between the fact that Miss Lonelyhearts is a man and Christ is a man, I'm not sure, but just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your argument is very interesting and most clear at the end of your close reading. I think it's interesting to note that the reason Miss Lonelyhearts has such a hard time offering the solution is because he is unwillingly thrown into the roll of the advice giver--he does not want to help these people, but he feels obligated to now. Analyzing this might help you to delve into the "why" aspect of your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed reading your argument because you bring up a lot of interesting points. However, your two main points (Miss Lonelyhearts identifying as a woman and Miss Lonelyheart's conflict with Christ) do not seem clearly related until your conclusion. You mention it in your thesis, but I would develop this thought more clearly and echo it throughout the essay. Overall, this is a great piece- I think you just need to make your main argument more present throughout the entirety of the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This paper is set up really well, and I could tell you spent a lot of time writing it. However, I think you should explain the connection between the women and christ more. I somewhat understand where you are getting at, but I think pushing it a little further will make your argument a lot clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the ideas you're uncovering; you've made an excellent start. I was wondering, though, about the "females who write the letters" because they're not all female. Does that complicate your argument?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was an extremely clear and concise argument. I think the parallels drawn between the writers and Miss lonelyhearts are well thought out and to the point. I think that using Christ as the catalyst for the struggle in the story is an interesting and poignant. I like that you connected these separate characters in the story with one unifying theme, God.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was very interesting how you connected the male character's female persona and the lack of Christ. However, I think you need to add more analysis to the lack of Christ points. For instance, the quote on page 3 regarding Miss Lonelyhearts staying away from the "Christ business" could use a little more analysis to connect it to your thesis. Other than that, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you see Christ as a reliever of femininity?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good start. I like your argument and your presentation of it in your intro. In addition, it is clear and concise. Nice job. Overall, you appear to be headed in the right direction with your response.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good job. I think you provide a strong, clear argument and do a good job of supporting your points throughout. I also thought it would be interesting to see if/how the men who write letters means anything in terms of your argument? Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with a lot of the other comments, this is a great response. I don't really have much critique because I wasn't confused by your argument and felt that it was supported well. But I do wonder if men writing letters to Miss Lonelyhearts complicates your argument?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this paper is very well written. I loved your statement "The fact that he once found the suffering of women as humorous can be seen as a reference to when he was more of a "man", before the persona of a "miss" over took him". That to me was very interesting. However, you kind of lost me with your third paragraph. I'm still kind of confused about how he is unable to find Christ and how that prevents him from helping the women. For your revision I would work on making this connection clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Overall I enjoyed reading your essay. I think, however, that your essay would have been a bit more focused and made a better argument if your thesis was a little more argumentative. I think that if you refine your thesis then the body paragraphs of your paper will become clearer, and lead to a higher-quality paper overall.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job addressing the fact in your intro paragraph that the entire story refers to the main character as Miss Lonelyhearts and never reveals to us his actual name, because this leads very well into your analysis of the implications this has within the story. Something you brought to my attention which I’d never considered is that perhaps the reason why Miss Lonelyhearts no longer sees the “joke” as funny is because since the persona of Miss Lonelyhearts overtook him, he no longer sees the suffering of women as humorous. Good job making those connections and bringing that idea to light.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think diving more into the usage of Christ as religion pertains to the women and the lack of gender asserted to Miss Lonelyhearts could help strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like your paper topic! I think you did a great job explaining your argument throughout your paper. With a few touch ups and your revision, I think it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed reading this response. You have a clear writing style and your ideas are well thought out. My one suggestion would be to take the note others have given about better connecting gender and Miss Lonelyhearts as Christ. I felt like I was missing some of the connections you might have made in your head when I was reading the actual post. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really liked your paper, but I think you might want to develop this idea of Miss Lonelyheart's gender identity and Christ. I feel like you need to explain this more because I feel like that is a lot there. If you decide not to do that, I don't know that it's connected enough within your response. Maybe take it out?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.