After
living a life dedicated to becoming successful, George H. Jones has the desire
to “wash up” in order to signify a turning point in his life in which he will
begin to live for pleasure. At this moment, George invites his wife Helen to
join him, but she refuses because she knows she will inevitably continue to
live a dissatisfying life until she fulfills her personal quest for freedom.
Arriving
to the hotel bedroom as newlyweds, George explains to Helen that he is ready to
start living for pleasure and invites her to join him. George dominates the
conversation with his enthusiasm, which starkly contrasts Helen’s reluctance to
join:
HUSBAND:
I’m going to enjoy life from now on—I haven’t had such an easy time of it. I
got where I am by hard work and self denial—now I’m going to enjoy life—I’m
going to make up for all I missed—aren’t you about ready?
YOUNG WOMAN: Not yet (376).
YOUNG WOMAN: Not yet (376).
In the context, when George asks if Helen is ready, he is
referring to her being dressed. However, this can also be read that he is
asking her if she is ready to live for pleasure alongside him. Helen’s
straightforward answer reflects her certainty that she is not ready to live for
pleasure yet because she has not fulfilled her own requirement, which is being
“free.”
Helen
truly defines being “free” when she first meets her lover, Richard Roe, and he
tells the story of killing two men in Mexico; when she asks him why he did it,
he replies with, “...I had to get free, didn’t I? Sure I had to get free,
didn’t I?” (384). She follows up with again, asking him why again and he
responds both audibly and physically staying, “You know why” while he puts his
hand on hers (384). The touch of Richard’s hand causes Helen to positively
react; she even states, “When you put your hand over mine! When you just touch
me!” (384). This suggests that Helen feels what she presumes love feels like,
as she previously describes it to her mother in Episode Two. After experiencing
this feeling, Helen realizes that Richard’s freedom from the men in Mexico was
necessary for finding what she believes to be true love. At this moment, Helen
establishes real love as her definition of freedom and prerequisite for living
a life of pleasure.
George’s
qualification for being ready to live for pleasure is that he put in the hard
work necessary to be a successful businessman. George’s decision to “wash up”
signifies the point in his life where he begins to live for pleasure; the act
of washing himself symbolizes his new outlook on life as he will now be clean
from his previous lifestyle. George is clearly satisfied with his decision, and
the stage directions reflect this as they describe his actions while he
announces his decision:
HUSBAND:
...(Goes toward bathroom) I’m going to wash up. (Stops at door) Don’t you want
to wash up? (Young Woman shakes head “No”) I do! It was a long trip! I want to
wash up! (Goes off—closes door. Sings in bathroom. Young Woman goes to window—raises
shade—sees the dancers going round and round in couples...) (375).
George’s series of exclamations reflect his enthusiasm in
his decision to cleanse himself of his former lifestyle. Similarly, the
description of George’s singing while he washes up highlights his excitement. Helen’s
actions at this moment greatly contrast from George’s. While George is washing
up and symbolically investing in his new life of pleasure, Helen is looking out
the window suggesting that she is not content within the confines of the
bedroom; she is looking at something outside of the room, highlighting her
desire for something other than George’s love.
It
is not until Helen kills her husband that she is free and ready to begin a life
of pleasure. During the trial, in Episode Eight, the Lawyer for Prosecution
reveals Helen’s secret: that she washed her husband’s blood out of her
nightgown before calling the police (396). This suggests that after killing her
husband, Helen fulfills her prerequisite of being free and is ready to “wash”
herself and begin living a fulfilling life of pleasure. Until this moment,
Helen was unable to completely be free, preventing herself from fully enjoying
her life, despite her attempts. Helen’s moment of freedom is confirmed when she
is awaiting her execution and speaks to the Priest about the man in the
airplane. Helen notes, “He has wings—but he isn’t free! I’ve been free Father!
For one moment—down here on earth—I have been free! When I did what I did I was
free! Free and not afraid!” (401). Helen’s excitement at this moment, which is
captured by the excessive exclamations, reflects George’s enthusiasm when he
became free of his duties to work and began to live for pleasure. At this
moment, she has fulfilled her prerequisite for freedom and is able to
experience a moment of living for pleasure.
Helen
is initially unable to accept her husband’s request for living a life of
pleasure with him because she knows she will continue to live a dissatisfying
life until she finds a sense of freedom. Without her, George Jones commits to a
life of pleasure and symbolically washes away his past lifestyle. It is not
until Helen kills her husband that she is able to participate in a similar
washing away of the past, and at this moment, she is able to experience a
moment of freedom and consequently living for pleasure.
I think this is a really great argument. You posit a solid claim and support it really well throughout the reading. I would just suggest possibly re-order your paragraphs; specifically Helen's paragraph on qualifying freedom seems like it would be better suited to be positioned near the paragraph where you talk about her achieving freedom.
ReplyDeleteNicole,
ReplyDeleteYou have written a really interesting post. I think your argument of how George's eagerness to wash up and start a new life paralleled with Helen's desire to do the exact opposite works nicely with the evidence you have selected to back it up. My main suggestion would be to maybe re-visit the word "pleasure". For me, I thought you initially meant a sexual pleasure. Also, maybe you could include something about Helen's desire to wash and care for her hands as a way of symbolically washing up since she only continues to do so after her husband is dead. Just a thought, but overall great work!
This was very well thought out. I especially thought your paragraph that began "George’s series of exclamations reflect his enthusiasm in his decision ..." was especially good. I agree with Constance that the word "pleasure" initially has sexual connotations. I think you've done a good job of having a well supported argument.
ReplyDeleteI really like your thinking here, and you give some solid evidence to support this claim. The opening paragraph did leave me feeling a little unsure with what exactly you were trying to communicate, and so maybe describing in a bit more detail your thesis and what in the text brings you to it. Obviously, a lot of that is supposed to (and does) happen as the paper progresses, but just a bit more initial context would be good.
ReplyDeleteYour close-reading is really interesting; I hadn't noticed the deep meaning behind "washing up" before but now it is clear. I don't really have anything to add except maybe asking yourself the "so what?" test. Why is it important that we "wash up" when transforming our lives or to begin anew?
ReplyDeleteThis is a great argument - well thought out and supported with evidence. The one thing that I feel needs the most improvement is your use of block quotations. It's fine how it is now, but the block quotations do interrupt the flow of your paper a little bit. Maybe try using smaller pieces of the quotations specifically when you need them to keep the flow of your paper uninterrupted.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a great argument here and I have never looked at the significant meaning behind "washing up" before. I thought you used your examples to the fullest to bring out the main points of your argument and you also made many great claims. One thing I would say needs a little improvement is your first paragraph. It took me a little bit to find what you were going to argue at first, but as the rest of the essay went on I noticed what your main focus was.
ReplyDeleteI really liked your argument and your evidence here. However, your first paragraph really threw me off. There was very little introduction to the essay, and reading it felt as if I was walking into a conversation that was already just underway. A little explanation of where you are coming from would help tremendously!
ReplyDeleteYou make an excellent argument here by connecting George washing himself clean and Helen achieving her "freedom" by killing him. Your evidence shows example after example of George being excited but Helen being sad because she feels controlled. Once she finally committed the murder she was able to then view herself as free from her former life, just like George felt before.
ReplyDeleteI would tweak your opening a bit. That's not to say that it's a bad opening - I quite liked reading it, in fact - but I don't really grasp the point you're trying to make until about the end of the second paragraph.
ReplyDeleteI think you make an awesome correlation between "washing up" and "freedom" in reference to George and Helen, and think your argument could be strengthened by re-examining your first few paragraphs. You mention George's desire to start living for pleasure--is this his idea of freedom (as opposed to Helen's notion of freedom)? Dealing with that aspect more explicitly will help support your argument in the long run.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great piece. I really enjoyed reading this post, and I think you have a very strong argument going here. The only thing I would suggest is maybe gearing your opening paragraphs towards more of what you talk about later--how Helen's eventual killing of her husband to achieve freedom and a life of pleasure is reflective of George's desire to live a life of pleasure.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great piece - I'm convinced! You helped me see the text much closer. I wonder if there's something to be said about Helen discussing freedom while in jail, about to be executed. A little strange, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteReally great topic! The only thing I would change is the first paragraph since it does not talk specifically about washing. Either eliminate it and focus on the two examples in greater detail or move it around because it definitely threw me off after the great introduction. Great start!
ReplyDeleteNicole Roberson, “The significance of Washing” – Very insightful argument and analysis of the role that washing represents within the text for different characters. Your opening paragraph can be stronger though. Find a way to introduce your argument and the discussion of your paper in a more elaborative way.
ReplyDeleteI think that you have a good close reading. There are places I would suggest looking more closely at dialogue to unpack your argument more in places where you summarize a bit. Aside from that, I do agree you need a stronger into, and strong intro and concluding sentences that will strengthen your argument and the flow.
ReplyDeleteYour approach is fresh and interesting. Even the title interested me, so that's definitely your strength. I'd just like to see where you go from here in terms of expanding on what you have.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a good argument. However, I was lost from your opening paragraph and I had to reread it to understand what was going on. I think you have some good points and pieces of evidence to support your argument. Just a little tweaking to your introduction would help! Well done!
ReplyDeleteGreat topic. Like others, I think your first paragraph needs some cleaning up, as well as the paragraph about Richard, since you don't mention anything about "washing". Also, you could work on cleaning up your topic sentences by making them more clear for your reader. Great start!
ReplyDeleteWow, this is a really great piece and a perspective I hadn't taken into consideration. Your support and quotes really do carry your argument through. However, as others have mentioned, maybe re-visit your intro paragraph because initially I was not sure where you were going, but it turned out great!
ReplyDeleteTo go along with what others are saying, you really need to rewrite your introductory paragraph because it is highly confusing. For your revision, I would change that paragraph to introduce your topic, and to include a clearly stated thesis. That way people will understand what you intend to cover, and they won't be confused from the very beginning.
ReplyDeleteNicole,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great essay- your topic is interesting and focuses in on something that may have gone unnoticed.
My suggestions to you would to be to:
a.) Find a different way of phrasing "life for pleasure," such as "enjoy his/her life," or "seek a fulfilling life." This would clarify your point, as well as eliminate some of the repetition
b.) Your first body paragraph talks about "getting ready" and not specifically "washing," which is jarring because it's the first thing you mention and it doesn't tie in seamlessly to your thesis. I would relate it back to "washing" so you start off strong
c.) Re-organize your paragraphs by character: don't switch back and forth between Helen and George, group their paragraphs together for a more linear flow
I think you're off to a great start!
I really like your argument. I think Helen cannot live for pleasure because living with her husband equates he lack of pleasure. Through his murder it seems Helen is able to finally find that pleasure and voice her mechanical life with him deprived her of. I think maintaining the notion of washing is all that is needed. You seems to be the beginning of a really strong piece!
ReplyDeleteI like the direction of your essay. You elaborate the importance of your quotations very well.
ReplyDeleteA point of interest for me is the way you organize the dialogue between the two characters. Is that the correct way to cite those passages? If so, ignore me. If not, I think reorganizing them in a different matter will help with the fluidity of your essay.
love love love your paper! You got a great idea and you ran with it. You did a great job utilizing your quotes and did a great job analyzing them. I think you might have had a typo on the second paragraph but I'm not 100% sure so you might want to read it over. Great analysis Nicole! :)
ReplyDeleteReally unique idea and interesting idea! It's something that everyone does but no one ever thinks about the significance of the act in a conceptual way, and you succeed in doing so. You did a good job with providing evidence. My only suggestion is to make your intro paragraph a bit more clear. Nice job, I really enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteI think you did a really nice job analyzing your close read. The analysis was very clear however I wasn't sure about your argument until your last paragraph. Perhaps you could revise your intro and make your thesis more clear and argumentative. Other than that the essay looks good. I especially liked that you defined Helen's view of freedom. Nice job!
ReplyDelete