The film Dirty Pretty Things is a story of
moral integrity and a continual fight for survival of illegal immigrants living
in London. Both main characters, Okwe
and Senay, must constantly avoid being recognized as the “others” that they are
just to work another day to support their unconventional lives. As illegal immigrants they learn to be silent
and discrete to not warrant unwanted attention.
The silence of these characters to not expose themselves creates tension;
however, their silence has an inverse effect when it ultimately reveals more
about their surroundings and themselves as the “other”.
Okwe
is an obedient cab driver by day and hotel receptionist by night. When the hotel’s usual prostitute warns him
of a plumbing problem in one of the rooms his obedience leads him to discover a
human heart as the source of the clog.
Tension arises quickly the following day when Okwe approaches Sneaky,
the hotel manager, to tell him of his discovery. Okwe’s status as an illegal immigrant causes
his inability to contact the police and leads him to silence. However, his silence and unconquerable
curiosity also lead him to reveal the hotels secret business of selling organs
on the black market. Okwe’s situation as
an illegal immigrant forces him to be silent, creating mounting tension, and unintentionally
revealing the moral dilemma which haunts him for the remainder of the
film.
We
see this pattern repeat itself within Okwe later in the film when Sneaky
uncovers his past as a Nigerian doctor.
Whenever Okwe is questioned about his origin or personal life he gives
himself a sense of otherness by not responding and directing the conversation
elsewhere. His silence about his
personal history creates tension between the men early in the film. Unintentionally, Okwe’s silence is also the
motive for Sneaky to reveal his past resulting in the establishment of a moral
conflict between them. Once his secret
is uncovered Okwe is offered the opportunity to become a partner in this black
market business offering his surgical skills to make the current butchering of
patients more humane. The exchange of a
kidney for a false passport for illegal immigrants seems nothing short of
logical for Sneaky, and an accepted fate by many of his clients. The mounting tension Senay feels as a result
of her silencing her true identity is a direct example of the helplessness the
illegal’s feel drawing them to this possibility of a better life. At her breaking point she says that even being
dead would allow her more freedom than she has now. This leads her to become a victim of Sneaky’s
morally corrupt system.
Throughout
the film, Senay is the only character to also experience sexual tension as a
result of her silence. Senay as a virgin
symbolizes the purity and beginnings of a young woman’s life. This image becomes tainted when she is forced
to deliver sexual favors to a boss who is in turn keeping her employment hidden
in his sweat shop. She must remain
silent in order to avoid legal actions which results in the obvious sexual
tension that occur. She experiences this
with Sneaky as well when he takes advantage of her before her butchering is to
take place. By the end of the film Senay
trades her innocence and purity instead of a kidney for freedom. However, this still leaves viewers wondering,
is this a fair trade?
The
moral dilemmas in the film Dirty Pretty Things are brought to light as a
result of the silenced and cautious illegal immigrants who fear for their
lives. Okwe and Senay both partake in
this seemingly endless pattern of silence to protect themselves, leading to
mounting tension and eventual exposure of larger societal issues. They are both legally labeled as the “other”
while simultaneously identifying with that themselves as they learn to be
silent in their fight for survival.
I thought that you had a really good focus, but I did feel that you switched views towards the end from silence of illegal immigrants and then to morality of Senay doing a sexual favor with Sneaky for freedom. I think that if you keep the focus on the silence of immigrants then it will help to keep your thesis flowing throughout the essay. You did a great job of using the film and critiquing it to show a deeper meaning of the silence of immigrants.
ReplyDeleteI think you definitely have something with the silencing of illegal immigrants. I just think you need a better focus (you kind of switch into a different topic on the second half of your essay) as well as fix some awkward wording that you have throughout parts of your essay. Also, I think it would be great to add what the larger significance is.
ReplyDeleteAs far as "others" go, we talked about in class today how the majority of the cast were considered "others" so it is important to state why it is so important to focus in on Okwe and Senay and what makes them different from the rest, besides that they're illegal immigrants. One of my favorite lines of the movie was in the beginning when the prostitute said, "I'm just a prostitute, I don't exist." She is also a prime example of the "other" and how she is practically invisible to everyone except the staff and the people who hire her. It's kind of off your topic but I think it's very interesting that a majority of them are "others" and silenced when working in the hotel. Sneaky said something like, "people do dirty things in the hotel, we're only here to make it look pretty." The hotel doesn't care about people's circumstances, which is why they have "others" working there.
Perhaps you can write about the scene toward the end in where they decide to no longer be silent and take matters into their own hands when they perform the surgery on Sneaky. The person who received the organ asked them why he's never seen them before and Okwe speaks out in which case he is no longer being silenced. I don't know, I'm ranting now but I hope it helps somehow!
I find your post very interesting, especially the way you consider the silences of both of the main characters and how that impacts their lives. Like Justina said though, I too thought that you sort of switched gears toward the end of your paper. I think if you change your topic sentence for the second to last paragraph about Senay and her sexual abuses would help you stay focused on her silence and how that impacts her instead of how her morality or her purity is impacted.
ReplyDeleteConstance,
ReplyDeleteI agree with those above me that you need to define "other" for the purpose of this essay. Once you define that I think it will be easier for the reader to follow your argument. I think it is very interesting that you chose to examine their silence. Are they really silent though? Okwe goes to his hotel manger because he found the heart. If he was silent he would have said nothing.
This is a very detailed post and you've done a good job writing about something that you can't really quote for literary analysis. I do think that this is a little too much summary, though, and not enough "so what?" - the silence creates tension, of course, but what do we do with that tension? Can we see the ending as a refusal to be silent, and if so what does that mean for their status as "others"?
ReplyDeleteI think you have a very interesting focus for your close read. I agree with those above me who believe you should define what you mean by "others" within this context and what it means to the viewers watching the film. Also, I think a little less summary and a little more explanation of your points would help strengthen your argument and make it a little easier to read. So far, good work!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for taking on a film, Constance! I like your focus on silence and think there's a lot of potential there. I do think that you shift focus too much by trying to address nearly the entire story. Maybe it would help to pick a few instances, even one character, and go more in depth. Why do they stay silent? What about the turnaround act at the end -- is that still seen as silence? Do they ever become free, since ultimately they become someone else from their new identities? Just some thoughts. Great start!
ReplyDeleteThis post is intriguing. You obviously have a grasp of the smaller intricacies of the film.
ReplyDeleteI agree with some of the prior posts about there being a lot of summary in your response. This can be difficult to avoid because it is hard to write down entire quotes from movies when you view them one time. One aspect I find interesting, and maybe worth pursuing, is the idea of a "fair trade" you mention. What is the overall significance of the fact individuals are willing to give bodily organs to travel to a land of more "opportunity?"
My favorite part of this post is the last line of the second-to-last paragraph about whether or not the trade was a "fair trade". I think there is much more to argue there, and if you took more of a stance on that, there would be more of an argument than there is right now.
ReplyDeleteYep, I agree with what most everyone before me's said. I like the idea of silence working throughout the film, but your response could use a bit clearer purpose in writing about it. I like Andrea's idea to incorporate the endish scene--their "unsilencing"--; doing could help strengthen the relevance of the silence as it persists through the beginning of the movie.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYour idea about silence works well. I think that to improve this essay you need less plot summary and more analysis of your examples. Also I agree with everyone who mentioned that the focus shifted towards the end so perhaps focus just on Okwe and go more in depth.
ReplyDeleteConstance,
ReplyDeleteThis close reading brings up a lot of good points, and you've clearly mastered how to make an argument. I like your ideas and the amount of support you use to analyze them. However, your wording and organization is occasionally confusing. Specifically, I think you need to work on making your sentences active rather than passive, and make sure you're using parallelism. For example, your sentence, "Okwe’s situation as an illegal immigrant forces him to be silent, creating mounting tension, and unintentionally revealing the moral dilemma which haunts him for the remainder of the film" would be much more clear if you rephrased it along the lines of this: "Okwe's situation as an illegal immigrant ensures his silence and forces him to unintentionally reveal the moral dilemma that haunts him for the remainder of the film." I'm really sorry if this comes off as super nit-picky, I just found myself getting confused and tripped up within some of your complex sentences. Simple and concise, although it sounds less fancy, is usually the most clear.
Also, your organization: Your last paragraph about Senay seems to stray from your main focus (silence), so if you think the heart of the issue is really about silence, I think you need to make that more apparent and why. Also, you start off your second paragraph all about Okwe, and end with a random sentence about Senay. I would suggest either starting a new paragraph about Senay, or omitting it altogether and stick with Okwe there.
As you can see, my only critiques for you are syntactical/organizational.... so once again, great ideas! Overall, this is a very solid post. If you clarify some things a bit more, you'll do fantastic.
I really like your post, it is a well-formed argument that is really interesting. I also think you did a good job of taking really specific things out of the movie and creating a larger issue within them, most notably the idea of silence. I think your response has a little too much summary in it (as some others have mentioned). I also think you shouldn't leave your last sentence on a rhetorical question. If you're going to focus on one point/argument, it's difficult to bring in a whole other (but very valid) point of this idea of trade and not develop that more. Other than that, very good response. I really enjoyed reading it.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that your paper would be strengthened if you could unite the two halves of your paper. however, i love silence/tension as your focus, it reminds me of "hills like white elephants" by hemingway. it would be interesting if you could look at their silences as a means of communicating something.
ReplyDeleteYour argument is valid. Their silence is truly perturbing throughout the film. It allows the tension to build while the surroundings penetrate the viewers' reading of the film. I would like to have seen an argument of how the people that hold some power over the immigrants are not as silent? Or how do they use silence against the others?
ReplyDeleteI feel like this could be a really good paper but I was thrown off a little with the term "silence" because I was expecting you to talk about something like "awkward silences." I'm not sure if there's a better word to use, or just a better way to explain it. Also, I think you could more explicitly explain what's significant about this tension. Other than that, great job!
ReplyDeleteI really like how you talk about the pressure to be silenced when you are an illegal immigrant. As others have mentioned, try to steer away from some of your summary, and take that opportunity to utilize direct quotes as support from the movie.
ReplyDeleteI really like your topic, it is interesting and something I had not thought about. I would like to see less summary and more analysis of why the point in the film that your cite as evidence is important more in depth.
ReplyDeleteYour close analysis of the film is spot on and I don't think you really need to change much at the moment. The only thing that is left to do is to tell the reader why this matters. What are the implications of the silencing of "the other"?
ReplyDeleteI'm going to echo what a lot of other people have said: defining the concept of "the other" that you're working with would be very helpful to you.
ReplyDeleteBeyond that, when talking about why the characters are silent and in what contexts they are silent, I would go beyond the tension that is created between the characters and look at how their struggles are tied into the fabric of the society they inhabit - how does society "other" them, and why?
I think that by choosing to examine the intersection of the otherness of the characters within the film with their silence is a great, but like others have mentioned you should consider reducing the amount of plot summary you do. Also, although the argument that you make towards the end of your close reading about Senay is strong, it doesn’t coincide with the main topic that you’re arguing throughout the rest of your close reading.
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job zoning in on an argument and then providing conceptual examples, especially without having any text readily available for analyzing. My only critique for the moment is about your organization of ideas; at the end of the paragraph about Okwe, you seem to jump into talking about Senay too quickly and leave the reader with some loose ends. I think it would be helpful to come up with final thought on Okwe to end that paragraph and then use the part about Senay as an introduction to the next paragraph.
ReplyDeleteI agree that with a little more clarification on what "the other" is, your paper would be stronger. Over all though, you have a nice start. The idea that their silence facilitates the tension and, ultimately, their identity as the other is very interesting. Also, another place to consider revision is in the 3rd paragraph. You jump from Sneaky to Senay in the same paragraph without any transition, which is a little confusing. Good start though!
ReplyDeleteI like your idea about silence in the movie. I think though that you may be trying to tackle too much by covering all the characters. It could be more effective to focus more on one character and use some examples from the other characters as support.
ReplyDeleteI think you make some interesting points in your close reading, however, I would try to define your terms a little more. For instance, what do you mean by "silence" and the "other"? What kind of tension is created? In doing this, I think you will either strengthen your argument and help connect a few of the dots for your reader, or you may find you're tackling a bit too much here. Either way, I think paying special attention to defining your terms will help improve the strength of your argument.
ReplyDeleteI think you use the piece to support the piece too much. You need more unpacking of things and more of an argument I guess.
ReplyDeleteI think focusing on how illegal immigrants have to remain, or be, silenced is an interesting argument. Examining how Okwe and Senay's silence is constructed differently might help develop the "so what" aspect of your paper--Okwe is silent of his past and about outside things that could get him in trouble, whereas Senay has to be silent about violations endured at the hands of men. How does that reinforce stereotypes in a film that aims to expose a harsh reality?
ReplyDeleteToo much summary, otherwise a great analysis with impressive claims. I love the Focus on silence.
ReplyDelete