There is a general sense of foreboding in the beginning of Katherine Mansfield’s short story, “The Woman at the Store.” Two men are introduced at the start of the novel, along with a narrator that is later revealed to be female, and they are travelling through New Zealand’s countryside. New Zealand is a country known for its starkly beautiful landscapes and has even had many movies (including Lord of the Rings) filmed there because of that unique beauty. However, as the narrator describes the land they are travelling across, she uses a dark tone that puts readers on edge. At first the clues are subtle, mostly just harsh verb choices, but then the narrator begins to reveal her own observations of the countryside with similes that are both oppressive and disturbing. Mansfield’s use of language foreshadows a specific act of violence that is not revealed until the end of the story.
The first paragraph of the story begins with a bleak description of New Zealand with the narrator describing how windy it was with a dust that “swirled in our faces, settled and sifted over us and was like a dry-skin itching for growth on our bodies” (pg. 55). She goes on to say how the “horses stumbled along, coughing and chuffing” (pg. 55). This introduction sets the tone for the rest of the story. The following narration is filled with the same oppressive words that reflects what the characters are actually feeling as they travel. Although there is no direct mention of violence between the narrator and Jim, there is a creepy moment where the narrator is sleeping and she wakes up “to find Jim leaning over [her], maliciously smiling” (pg. 57). This description of him is not followed by any abuse, but instead goes on to have the narrator feel relief as she realizes they have arrived at the house that the two men, Jo and Jim, had been discussing earlier.
When the group of weary travellers reaches the home, Jim is surprised to find that the woman he once knew has changed drastically in appearance. He had been bragging to Jo along the journey that she would be beautiful and would be willing to provide certain favors for Jo should he express an interest. As they pull up to her, the narrator writes that the woman screams a greeting at them and that “[l]ooking at her, you felt that there was nothing but sticks and wires under that pinafore—her front teeth were knocked out, she had red pulpy hands, and she wore on her feet a pair of dirty Bluchers” (pg. 58). The woman also had a daughter that was described as a “mean, undersized brat, with whitish hair, and weak eyes” (pg. 64). By describing the woman as screaming when she greeted them, the narrator portrays to the reader that this is an unusual encounter and strengthens that with the hideous description of the woman who had once been beautiful and her ugly child. When asked where her husband was, the woman “blinked rapidly, screwing up her face” and told them he was away shearing his sheep (pg. 58). Her unusual reaction to that question also foreshadows the violence later in the story.
The strange, sickly daughter had a love for drawing that she told the travellers about. Later that night, after everyone had been drinking she showed her drawings to the narrator and Jim. They “were extraordinary and repulsively vulgar. The creations of a lunatic with a lunatic’s cleverness. There was no doubt about it, the kid’s mind was diseased” (pg. 68). This dark imagery is a reflection of what the child has bottled inside of her. She later announces that she is going to draw what her mom has told her to never draw and gets smacked for it. After the mother makes her daughter sleep in the store with Jim and the narrator because she wants to hook up with Jo, the daughter draws the picture anyway to spite her. “The kid had drawn the picture of the woman shooting at a man with a rook rifle and then digging a hole to bury him in” (pg. 71). All the harsh verbs and violent undertones in the narrator’s speech foreshadowed this event. Since the woman had revealed that her husband had neglected her and was the reason that her appearance was ruined, Jim and the narrator concluded that she had killed him and left Jo in the dust as they made their escape.
Marie,
ReplyDeleteYour close reading is really interesting! I agree with your point that the language Mansfield uses definitely foreshadows the dark actions that are later to occur. My only suggestion to strengthen your piece would be to try using a strong claim to start each paragraph. Also, you make some great points that support your argument but not until the end of some paragraphs. If you mentioned some of these points earlier with less plot summary the piece would be even better! Great work!
I definitely agree that word choice plays a role in foreshadowing the end of the story. I agree with Constance that less plot summary and more concert statements would help strengthen your piece.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great job of making observations in a text and seeing WHY they're there. I think your piece could use a little more structural work (think more obvious topic sentences and a more defined conclusion) but I'd also like to see what this means. We see how the language foreshadows future revealed violence - what effect does that have? Why did the author do this? Just some thoughts, love this piece!!
ReplyDeleteMansfield definitely has a foreboding tone through word choice throughout her short story, and I think it's something worth commenting on. We've been asking "So what?" in class a lot, so I might suggest considering how her tone and word choice affects the overall story by making us wary readers as opposed to shocking us at the end. I think for your argument, looking at the discussion on pages 66 and 67 might be really useful stuff! Overall this is great!
ReplyDeleteThere are a few points in this paper where your argument is lost a little in generalities which are unsupported or unexplained. In the first paragraph, make sure you specify exactly what the "specific act of violence" is that is being foreshadowed. Also, when you claim that something foreshadows something else, make sure you explain why and how. You often say things like "this foreshadows the end" and move on without explaining how that foreshadowing is accomplished. Is it the words themselves? The tone created by those words? Something else? Be as explicit as possible.
ReplyDeleteI really like that you have chosen foreshadowing for your close-reading because it is such an important focus of this particular piece. However, if we are prepared for something horrible because of this foreshadowing, do you think this underplays the murder of the husband for the reader? Does this connect to society's disbelief in the possibility of Karla Fay Tucker being a horrible malicious muderer?
ReplyDeleteWord choice is a great thing to analyze, and you get off to a good start here. I think it'd be a good idea to take some of the quotes you included and inspect individual words to explain why they are foreshadowing the revelation of murder at the end. You could also extend the quote from p. 58 where the woman's asked about her husband; after answering awkwardly, she immediately suggest the travelers move on instead of sticking around.
ReplyDeleteI think you do a great job with creating an argument, but I did not feel that you followed through with the argument throughout the essay. I thought that you had a lot of plot summary and I was not quite sure at where the argument was present. I think that you need to dig deeper into the examples you used and explain more of their importance rather than stating what the quote is doing as far as plot summary. You are on the right track you just need to dig deeper into the text to make the argument stronger.
ReplyDeleteI like that you decided to focus on the foreshadowing that takes place in this story. It is such an important aspect of story telling that seems to be commonly overlooked. You have a lot of good examples where the author used negative terms to describe situations or characters. I think you could separate your last paragraph because you are still introducing new evidence into your conclusion. I think it would be better if you still made those arguments, but then started a new and more concise conclusion paragraph.
ReplyDeleteMarie,
ReplyDeleteI liked your general arguments that were brought up in your paper. However, I think that you could unpack the quotes a little bit more and spend a little less time summarizing the text. Assume that the audience has read the text, and therefore we need minimal explanation of the plot. These quotes are good, so work with them more!
As always, I'm going to repeat the sentiments of other people: I get that foreshadowing is occurring, you do a good job of explaining that. But why does it matter, in the grand scheme of things? I don't even mean to say that you need to find cosmic significance in the story, but what does the foreshadowing do thematically for the story? Because, after all, HOW someone chooses to tell a story is as important as what story they're choosing to tell.
ReplyDeleteI think examining instances of foreshadowing is a good topic for a close read, and I think you have a lot of great evidence already written up. I think that maybe, in a couple of instances, you could really analyze the quotes and dissect them (word-by-word) to fully explore your argument that language cues the reader to expect an act of violence.
ReplyDeleteYou have a great start here. I can't help feeling, however, that this piece was more narrative and less analytic. I would suggest making more of a point to make a claim when you provide evidence so that it becomes apparent what it is that you are arguing.
ReplyDeleteGreat start! I think the topic is very interesting, just work on what the importance of the foreshadowing. What does it tell the reader? I think that'll help strengthen your argument.
ReplyDeleteYou've done a good job creating an argument that concentrates on a salient aspect of "The Woman at the Store" being, foreshadowing. In your next draft you should consider avoiding as much plot summary and instead focus more on your analysis of the foreshadowing that occurs within the story and the implications it has for the characters and the greater message that the story is speaking to.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your piece. There are a lot of interesting things. I think there is too much in your intro, and you stray toward things that don't matter to your argument. I think a strong conclusion that explains a so what would be great here. Other than that, I followed it well. My last suggestion would be to push at every quote and point.
ReplyDeleteYou propose an interesting topic. I think you could add more analysis of your quotes in your paper and also develop the "so what" aspect a little more. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading your work!
ReplyDeleteI had a hard time following what you were trying to argue, I think because your argument isn't exactly clear. You began with a description of the landscape but then your paper took a different direction. For your revision I would make an introduction that more clearly relates to the rest of your argument, and then in the subsequent paragraphs begin with strong topic sentences to make your argument stand out and easy to follow.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I really think you have something to go with here, I would take out a lot of the summary you provide. I understand why you think it might be beneficial to get to where you want to explain, but I think it actually takes away from your argument and distracts the reader more than it clarifies.
ReplyDeleteI think you are off to a good start yet I feel you need to develop a stronger thesis. You are missing the so what factor within your opening. How the oppression affect the reader? What are we meant to learn through the foreshadowing instead of an overt telling.
ReplyDeleteInteresting paper! You bring up a lot of great ideas.
ReplyDeleteI suggest working with your quotes more. For example, you use quotes back-to-back in one of your paragraphs. Explain the significance of those quotes and apply that to the rest of your paper. Without the explanations, the quotes lose their power for your argument.
Marie,
ReplyDeleteI think you're off to a good start, but you need to be more specific with your analysis to make your argument stronger. You have quite a bit of summary, both quotes and paraphrasing, that detracts from your argument. Assume the reader has read this article and make sure every quote you use serves a specific analytic purpose. Also, your paragraph organization is unclear: a topic sentence that clearly lays out what each paragraph about will help. Make sure you're only tackling one specific subject in each paragraph and tie it back to your thesis. I think that you're strongest argument is that the language is used as foreshadowing- make that more obvious throughout your paper instead of just at the end and the beginning. This is a good draft with good ideas, you just need to be a bit more specific in conveying your ideas.
I read your title and I immediately thought, "Well what about the foreshadowing?" You give one sentence in your first paragraph that hints at it with how the language foreshadows specific acts of violence but that's it. I think you need to be more specific in your introduction and throughout your essay. What is so important about this foreshadowing? We've all read this so I'm sure we've all picked up on it but what is your take on it? Why do you think it's so important to write a paper on it? Like mentioned many times in class, it all goes back to the "so what?" I think once you figure that out your paper will work itself out better.
ReplyDeleteGood start, but there were a few things I'd like to see to make your paper stronger. I think your paper definitely needs some tweaking in the summary department, there was too much of it. The thesis was a bit vague, but I understood what you were going for. I liked your ideas though, so tighten these up and you'll have a much better argument.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a very interesting idea for your reading. You had a lot of good analysis as well. I would maybe suggest tweaking your thesis to position it as more argumentative. Also perhaps you could push for why this choice by the author is an important one. Why did she choose to build the tension with the tone these words create?
ReplyDelete