Monday, April 2, 2012

Whiskey and Image On the Rocks

Tennessee Williams presents Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire as a dainty woman who appears “incongruous” in the poor New Orleans neighborhood that her sister, Stella, lives in (5). She appears in a suit fit for a party and is very shocked by the quality of the neighborhood, which makes Blanche appear as a sophisticated woman who is superior to these surroundings. Throughout the play Blanche consciously acts superior to the people around her to keep a positive image. For example, she wants to appear like she rarely drinks so that she opposes Stella’s husband Stanley and his lowly friends who often get drunk: “Stanley: Have a shot? Blanche: No, I—rarely touch it” (26). However, Blanche is actually a heavy drinker. She is not fully able to uphold this image because Stanley is suspicious of her drinking habits despite her attempts to hide them. The course of Blanche’s drinking habits—specifically the first encounter with alcohol—suggests the ultimate exposure of Blanche’s original sophisticated and superior image that she is presented with.

Blanche explicitly vocalizes that she drinks infrequently unlike the other characters. Before Blanche has met Stanley and his friends they are heard talking about where they should play poker, when the location is decided Stanley assigns Mitch to “bring the beer” which suggests that they often drink alcohol during their gatherings (24). Shortly after, Blanche declines a shot of whiskey from Stanley because she claims she rarely ever drinks (26). In refusing a shot she is appearing to be able to resist the temptation of alcohol unlike Stanley and his friends. This is obviously a lie in order seem superior because before Stanley arrived Blanche had consumed that very liquor two different times—once before Stella arrived and then again with Stella (10-4). The manner in which she drank the whiskey suggests further that she is lying when she claims to rarely drink. Her first drink is a half of glass of whiskey in which she “tosses it down” (10). And her second drink is again straight and she drinks it quickly (11-4). Both of these drinks suggests that she is a frequent drinker because she has become custom to the taste of straight liquor and drinks a large amount at once. Blanche’s words do not reflect her actions furthering the idea that she is attempting to portray this image that she is first presented with.

After Blanche refuses a shot from Stanley, he suggests that she is lying, which suggests that her original image will eventually be destroyed. Blanche says responds to Stanley’s offer with, “No, I—rarely touch it” to which he explains, “Some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often” (26). He is proposing that a person—Blanche—may claim they do not drink often, but in reality they are greatly affected by alcohol. This is Stanley’s first suspicion of Blanche, which leads to further doubting and causes the destruction of her image as a whole.

Stanley later accuses Blanche of being associated with a promiscuous hotel despite the sophisticated image she continues to uphold. She seems nervous but argues that she would never been seen in that “sort of establishment” (89-90). Blanche is appearing as though she sophisticated and superior, but like her image of a non-drinker it is not true. Stanley is not fooled by Blanche and eventually learns that she indeed did spend time at promiscuous places and got “mixed-up” with an underage year old by (122). Because Stanley sees through Blanche’s attempt to appear as a non-drinker despite her true drinking habits, her original appearance of a sophisticated and superior woman is ultimately destroyed.

25 comments:

  1. You have an interesting argument here, but I don't see that until the end of your paper. You have a lot of plot summary in the beginning, instead of making claims for your argument. For your revision you should bring your last paragraph up and then continue from there with your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,
    This is a really interesting piece. I like the way you associate Blanche's pseudo-sobriety with her fake overall lifestyle. However, I don't think it becomes truly argumentative until your last paragraph, specifically your last sentence. I see a really great potential introduction and thesis at the end that should be brought up sooner. I would tie in more about how Stanley's ability to see through her drinking habits ultimately destroys her self-image as a classy woman. Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blanche's contradicting lifestyle is an interesting aspect of the play. Your piece offer some insight on how this is problematic for her and other characters in the play. However, I think it would be beneficial for you to develop this one step further, specifically in in the body paragraphs. Instead of long plot summary, I suggest investigating how Stanley's ability to "see through" Blanche ultimately reveals her true self and the implications of this for Blanche and for the play as a whole. Right now your argument is missing this "so what" factor, but with the addition of some of these ideas, it will be a lot stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You provide an interesting topic but I feel that your paper is a lot of plot summary. Your introduction is lengthy and takes a while to get to what you are trying to say and I think your argument comes out mostly in the end of your paper. I think focusing on Stanley's view of Blanche could be interesting as well as more 'so what' points. Good start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good start, but needs a lot more analysis in your second revision. Your thesis seems a little confusing, I think you forgot to add the last half of it--something involving what type of image Blanche is hiding behind her sophistication. Also, you depend a lot on the scene from page 26, but I think in order to make your argument stronger you need to find other examples. Good work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really seeing the connection between paragraphs at this time. Your thesis is there and I know what your arguing but it isn't explicitly stated. I'm also unsure as to why you chose to focus on her lying about her ability to drink and what this means for the play as a whole. I think what you have chosen to focus on is very interesting but needs to be teased out a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really notice an argumentative thesis here. You kind of hint at an argument about a link between exposure and drinking, but I don't really know what that link is. I think you just need to figure out what it is that you're trying to say - and then make sure you explicitly state it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like other people are mentioning, your argument isn't really noticeable until the last paragraph or so. For your revision maybe focus on those paragraphs and their strengths to formulate a new thesis to make your paper stronger from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I think part of this confusion is based upon this confusingly worded sentence in your intro: "The course of Blanche’s drinking habits—specifically the first encounter with alcohol—suggests the ultimate exposure of Blanche’s original sophisticated and superior image that she is presented with."

    What this sentence says is that Blanche's drinking habits suggest that her superior image will eventually be revealed. I'm sure that's not what you mean, since the rest of your post posits an opposite view: namely, that Blanche puts on a display of superiority and sophistication that is eventually revealed to be masking immoral actions.

    Also, if you did want to focus specifically on alcohol, then your last paragraph seems a bit irrelevant to the rest of the post. So, either expand the thesis to talk about Blanche's general attempts to hide her past, or stay specific and delete stuff that doesn't pertain to alcohol. I think the former would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brittany,

    Your thesis is good, but it could still use some improvement. It should focus more on the "so what?" aspect of the exposure of Blanche's true image.

    Also, your introduction is rather long-winded. I think it would help if you were able to save the quote for the body paragraphs, rather than using it in the first couple of lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems to me like you're making essentially the same claim over and over, without doing too much in the way of analysis. You have a decent start, but you don't really follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see a lot of good discussion about the text, but I think your piece could use more structuring -- namely, a distinct intro and conclusion, as well as transitions. Also, as others have said, this could be more argumentative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brittany,

    I had a really hard time finding an actual thesis. I was able to follow what you were saying and grasp your argument, but not the thesis. I think it would help if you had an intro before you introduce the supporting evidence. You have a lot of great ideas, you just need to lay out your argument more clearly for the reader

    ReplyDelete
  14. This paper has a lot of potential. You point to a lot of interesting points in the play, and analyze them very well. Yet I'm not entirely certain what you are arguing here. I think if you worked a little bit on your thesis and your organization, you would have a much stronger piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good start! I definitely think you have an argument that works in your paper about Blanche's performance of behavior so she seems superior however, I think that you need to illustrate the significance of this performance. I also think it would be helpful if you had a more distinct introduction for your paper instead of jumping into the evidence so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like this title.

    A moment of distraction when reading your essay was the introduction. I feel like you can make it more concise while introducing quotes and analysis in the following body paragraphs. Just something to chew on I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you've found something that interests you, Blanche trying to hide her immorality/less attractive habits behind a smug superiority. i agree that this is something to work with! now that you have that, look for an argument that has a "so what?" angle and run with it! bring in more direct evidence with analysis, and a stronger introduction and you'll be golden!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you're right in suggesting that Blanche's performance of being a non-drinker is a means by which she can be exposed. I also think your argument would be stronger if you talked about how drinking exposes other characters or what else exposes Blanche. Right now, your close reading seems to focus on summary, but I think if you gave yourself a little more to work with you would be able to spend your time analyzing rather than setting up your observations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed this close reading, well done. One thing I would suggest, which I think you are talking about, but just don't say it explicitly is the "class distinction" associated with heavy drinking. I don't think you should delve into class so much so that you lose your original argument, but mentioning that Blanche is attempting to maintain a certain class status I believe would strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Initially, I was confused with your intro because it felt a lot like a body paragraph and was a lot of summary - as was the rest of the paper which I think was the reason that I had a little bit of trouble figuring out what you were arguing. Beyond that, though, good paper. Just push it a bit further. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you could use better wording for your thesis because I feel "...suggests the ultimate exposure of Blanche’s original sophisticated and superior image that she is presented with" is not a strong enough sentence and somewhat vague. It is definitely missing a "so what?" Perhaps that is not your thesis and I just got lost in your introduction. Making it more concise would definitely help with the organization.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you have a start to a really compelling argument. I think that you can continue to chip away at the flaws of Blanche's made up sophisticated character and how Stanley may be in a more sophisticated state than Blanche with the way he tries and discovers he lies.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This could be a really great argument if you revise a few things in your second draft. I would reduce the amount of summary you give and focus more on explaining your quotes. Also I think you should make sure your thesis is presented at the beginning and then continues throughout the paper, because in my initial reading I didn't really catch it until the end. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like how you are hyperfocused on the idea of drinking -- it's a really neat concept and I think you're definitely delving into the topic. But I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue. As some others have said, you summarize a lot and point out all of the significant instances of drinking but my question is what does that do for us? How does Blanches exposed drinking problem affect the way that we see her, and how does dramatic irony play into how we already see Blanche (because we know the whole time she's drinking up a storm.) Just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brittany, I felt like I was missing a bit of the so what factor here. Is there anyway you could push this piece a little bit further? I was really interested in the phrase you used in the middle of your piece: "In refusing a shot she is appearing to be able to resist temptation". Perhaps you could push this idea of resisting temptation a little more?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.