The confrontation between the DuBois sisters after Stanley and Stella’s
fight reveals a harsh truth that the female characters must contend with. Women
who choose to accept their husband’s nature and make do with their situations
are left to stay in the domestic environment. Yet women like Blanche, who
confront their husband’s untoward tendencies, are left to deal with the guilt
of having failed as a woman.
After reconciling with Stanley, Stella defends her actions and declares
that, “I am not in anything that I have a desire to get out of” (74). When
further pressed by Blanche about not giving in to her situation, Stella turns
to, “picking up the broom, twirls it in
her hands” (74). In this scene, the broom functions as a symbol of domesticity
and submission—Stella is picking up an item to clean a mess that she did not
make and, furthermore, a mess that lead her to bodily harm. By picking up the
broom, Stella sends a clear message to Blanche: she has no intention of leaving
Stanley or holding him responsible for his actions. After all, Stanley will not
have to sweep the broken parts or clean up his own mess since Stella intends on
doing it for him. Stella is literally and metaphorically prepared to sweep the
whole incident under the rug.
Stella’s acceptance of her situation angers Blanche, who demands to know
if her sister is, “deliberately shaking that thing in my face” (75). The broom,
as a symbol of domesticity and submission, seems to taunt Blanche, who is a
widow. Blanche had married a “boy” and discovered that he was a homosexual by,
“coming suddenly into a room that I thought was empty—which wasn’t empty, but
had two people in it…the boy I had married and an older man who had been his
friend for years” (114). The shock of finding her husband with another man, and
someone older, understandably stunned the superficial Blanche. Although she
tried to ignore what she had seen, Blanche, unlike Stella, could not ignore her
husband’s inherent nature and confronted him saying, “I saw! I know! You
disgust me…”(115). This confrontation leads to her husband’s suicide, which
sends Blanche into a world of depression, delusion and guilt. By confronting an injustice, Blanche is made to suffer.
The broom reinforces an
underlying notion that women who aim to rectify a wrong are somehow punished
for it in the end. Blanche, after confronting her husband for cheating and
deceiving her about his sexuality, is left to grapple with the guilt from his
subsequent suicide, as well as her own mental breakdown. Stella, by choosing to
accept Stanley’s wrong doing, is able to retain her lifestyle and promise of a
family.
You make an interesting point here, but I feel that you are focusing more on the broom as a symbol. Maybe instead of choosing your argument of acceptance you can make it about the broom and its function as a symbol, which is present in your essay now. You use many examples to support your argument and your last paragraph is very strong.
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteYou are off to a great start with your close reading. I can easily follow the contrast you draw between the two sisters and the consequences for both, but I am left wondering if this is argumentative enough? You have some great ideas and textual moments to point to I just think the piece needs to be pushed one step further. I agree with Justina's comment that your last paragraph has a lot of strength and supports what you are saying well. Maybe consider using some of those ideas sooner. Overall, good job!
This is an interesting perspective on the female characters in Williams play. However, I do think that it can be developed further. For instance, taking on both Stella's and Blanche's marital problems may be too much for such a short piece. I suggest choosing one character to focus on and really develop your ideas. That way you can either focus on the broom as a symbol or Blanche's ex- husband's suicide and give either one the attention it needs to be fully developed. Hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteGood work! You have an interesting topic for your paper and provide a clear contrast between the sisters. However, I think you could dig a little deeper and make your thesis more argumentative. Your analysis of the broom is very strong and I think that could work well as the focus of your paper as you already have good evidence supporting the brooms significance. Good job so far!
ReplyDeleteGood start! I liked that you compared Blanche and Stella as women in two different kinds of worlds. I think that you definitely need more support for your argument. What do you do with the Stanley/Blanche rape scene? I also think that if you are going to discuss the significance of the broom throughout your paper you should potentially introduce it in your thesis or introduction.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting argument. However, I felt like you presented the options left to women as only be those two things. Confront your husbands abuse and fail, or accept your husband's abuse and fail. I didn't agree with that. But I also didn't feel like this was your thesis, even though it seemed like it would be. Your argument surrounding the broom seemed to be the real argument here and I would suggest developing that more for your second draft instead of the failing as a woman idea.
ReplyDeleteYou have a great arguement, a clear thesis and strong evidence to support your claims. All that's left is to tell the reader why you think this is important. To me, I think that this might be an argument on how women who are victims of rape or domestic violence go to society for help but often have to return to their husbands due to delays in court, reluctance on society to become involved or financial difficulties and often have to face severe punishments for attempting to shine a light on their domestic circumstances. On the other hand, women who put up with it are still stuck in their situations and have to make due with their circumstances. Domestic violence is a no-win situation for women victims. But that is just what I have taken from the reading.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a good start here, but I'm not sure what your argument is. It seems more like you're demonstrating two things rather than trying to support one specific claim. If this is really supposed to be about the role of acceptance in marriages, try to come up with a strong, clear statement of what it is about acceptance that you're trying to say is represented in the text.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like your connection of the broom with the idea of sweeping things under the rug, but aside from the connection of females with domesticity, I don't really see an argument in your post. Also, I think it would be more beneficial to focus on just one of the sisters. While reading this, I thought you really had something going with Stella's acceptance, but your argument was kind of lost on me when you got to analyzing Blanche.
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteI like your idea, but I think it needs more focus on Blanche. How exactly is her guilt related to her "failure," and how does this come back to her refusing the normal feminine domestic role?
I'm with Dane - I think you're tackling two different topics, but trying to link them with the broom. I think you're stretching a bit to use that one object/symbol to make these claims, and like Dane said, you're doing so to the detriment of being able to delve into one topic in depth.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a really strong start. The piece, as it is, makes a lot of sense; I like the broom as a connecting symbol between the two women's lifestyles. I think you can nuance your claims though, especially taking it further by asking which one is right or healthier... Does Stella really win by ignoring her problems? Is there really domestic tranquility in her abusive relationship? Was Blanche still right to confront her husband? I'm curious as to whose side the play is on. Just a few thoughts of mine! Great work!
ReplyDeleteThis is good. It's easy to read the play with the perspective that Blanche is the wrongdoer because of her dishonesty, but you've got solid evidence to support that, maybe she's also the victim. I don't quite agree with Dane and Logan about your seeming to cover two separate topics. This is the claim that I'm seeing: women are in a lose-lose situation by either staying in submission to a bummer of a husband, or suffering for acting against him, and Stella and Blanche are contrasting examples to support that.
ReplyDeleteAlso, "untoward"; great word.
Jess,
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I think your intro could use a bit of tuning up. The body of the closed read is so strong! Maybe fine tuning the thesis or tweeking the wording,what do you mean by domestic environment? I think expanding on that would help make the intro as strong as the body. Over all, it was awesome!
ttyl,
Melissa
This is very interesting, and I think you have done a great job outlining the differences between the two women's acceptance--or lack thereof. I think if you dug a little deeper into the why portion--why Stella accepts Stanley's abuse, or why Blanche rejected her husband--you could have an even stronger piece. I very much like the use of the broom as a symbol of domesticity and acceptance, and I feel that your comparison of the two women makes your argument very strong. I would just like to see you dig a little deeper and flesh out this contrast a little more to really make this a great reading. Also, I think it would be interesting to consider Blanche's desire to get her sister to reject her husband. If she herself is lost in delusion, guilt and depression, why would she want her sister to share her fate? Is there a greater reasoning at work her (perhaps woman's independence?) or perhaps Blanche is acting selfishly, not wanting to be alone in her grief? This essay has a lot of promise. Good start!
ReplyDeletePersonally, I think you have great analysis of the quotes use choose, but I do not believe they help your argument. Why not focus on one of the two characters and parse through some of the important aspects. I think that will help your paper greatly.
ReplyDeleteI think the most interesting part of your close reading lies between the sister's relationship. At this moment, Stella shaking the broom in Blanche's face (knowing Blanche did not "accept" her husband's nature like Stella does) is more of a slap in the face to Blanche than a gesture of passivity to her husband.
ReplyDeleteI think a good way to push your argument further would be to talk about why the sisters have this tension regarding their relations to their husbands and what this tension does for their sisterly relationship.
Furthermore, the broom is definitely a tool here, but I'm not really following your claim that "the broom reinforces an underlying notion that women who aim to rectify a wrong are somehow punished for it in the end." How does the broom do this? Stella uses the broom to show that she is NOT rectifying her husband's actions, she is going along with them.
I think you have so much potential with this idea, I'm really interested to see where you can go with it!!
Jessica Lee-
ReplyDeleteI really like that you decided to take on the contrast between Stella and Blanche. Excellent start! I felt as though your rephrase of your thesis in the conclusion was stronger than in the intro paragraph so you might want to flip flop the two. As I mentioned you are on to something, but keep pushing this analysis. I think there is more there than you presented.
You Go Glenn Coco,
Alice
This is a great close analysis on the relationships between sister and sister as well as husband and wife. It all definitely flows very well and your ideas are clear. I would just have liked to see more analysis from Blanche's side.
ReplyDeletewhile i like your ideas, they don't seem to flow or connect exceptionally well yet. your title, introduction, thesis, paper body and conclusion all relate, but they need to be tied together better. i like the use of broom as a symbol, maybe explore other symbols throughout the text and how they signify the characters true intents?
ReplyDeleteI agree, I think that your use of the broom as a symbol seems to be a bit stretched at times. I think the first half of the comparison is solid and can be polished but the stretch lies in the second half and the message towards blanche.
ReplyDeleteI think you're trying to do too much in such a short piece. Maybe just focusing on one character would be a good way to keep the piece from being too general and would help you to further develop a "why" portion of the argument.
ReplyDeleteYour paper has potential but it seems like you had more ideas than a paper of this length would allow you to fully develop. I would narrow your thesis, perhaps to focus on Blanche as she seems the most complex and relevant to your argument, and explore the idea of a woman being a failure if she doesn't "succeed" in living the perfect domestic life. You could make those expectations explicit and find evidence of Blanche not meeting them, like you did with the broom.
ReplyDeleteI really like this response, and I especially like the quotes you use in it. I would be careful, though, to not make over generalizations about women, especially in your opening statement. It's clear what you're trying to point to (that in this case, we see two manifestations of the paths women can take in these two women) but to say that all women are so black or white I think overstates what you're trying to show.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post, but I found that I was saw a lot of strong points mainly at the end of your piece. Is there anyway you could introduce these a little earlier in the close read? Overall, great job. Just keep pushing this!
ReplyDelete