Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ritual Washing Leads to Complacency


Washing is an act featured prominently in Christianity. Baptism – which, though varied greatly in form today, involves some degree of washing – is considered a fundamental requirement for salvation. This concept of washing is utilized by Delia in Zora Neale Hurston’s “Sweat” as a self-cleansing ritual to eliminate sinful emotions like hatred and anger. Having thus cleansed herself of these emotions, Delia manages to survive an abusive marriage from day to day without jeopardizing her salvation. Yet this method of coping presents a highly problematic relationship model in which the abused wife can only wait for an intervening force to save her from her violent husband – she cannot actually take action to save herself.

Delia’s weekly schedule is entirely constructed around washing clothes. She “collected the soiled clothes on Saturday when she returned the clean things. Sunday night after church, she sorted them and put the white things to soak” (73). Although she receives the dirty clothes on Saturday, she does not start washing them until after church on Sunday. The act of washing clothes is an extension of worship, a week-long religious ritual which she uses to purge herself of the sinful emotions she struggles with daily as a result of her abusive marriage. Delia tells Sykes, “Ah hates you tuh de same degree dat Ah useter love yuh” (81). Such hatred is something which Delia must live with every day, so it is important that her washing ritual occur every day as well to cleanse her soul of that hatred.

Delia’s soul-cleansing washing ritual is what allows her to survive the day-to-day torment of her marriage to Sykes, a fact she calls to attention when she exclaims, “Ah been married to you fur fifteen years, and Ah been takin’ in washin’ fur fifteen years” (75). Using this ritualistic washing as a coping method, Delia is able to act with “triumphant indifference” to her husband’s threats (76).  While she occasionally responds directly to Sykes’ threats, like when she “seized the iron skillet from the stove and struck a defensive pose,” it is always in a “defensive” and noncommittal way (75). Her primary mode of defense is that “triumphant indifference” which relies on a “what goes around, comes around” model of supernatural justice.

However, this model of supernatural justice is modified in “Sweat.” Rather than referencing God in her desire for justice, Delia references the Devil – she reassures herself that “whatever goes over the Devil’s back, is got to come under his belly” (76). While this could be taken to mean that the Devil will get what’s coming to him, it is complicated by Delia’s address to the snake as “ol’ satan,” referencing Satan’s snake disguise in the Biblical story of Adam and Eve (82). In this revised model, the “Devil” who receives his comeuppance is Sykes, yet the punishment he receives is at the hands of “ol’ satan,” the snake. This dependence on a satanic figure to punish a different satanic figure is problematic for a woman whose day-to-day life is built upon a ritualistic, religious cleansing through washing.

In the process of creating a character who relies on ritualistic cleansing and supernatural justice, Hurston is presenting a fundamentally problematic relationship model based on submission and complacency. By developing a system which allows for “triumphant indifference” to the violence she experiences, Delia displays a great deal of complacency towards and acceptance of her abusive marriage. Although she frequently berates Sykes for his abuse, Delia ultimately does not choose to actively change her situation. She even acknowledges her complacency when she says to Sykes, “You done starved me an’ Ah put up widcher, you done beat me an Ah took dat” (81). The townspeople, too, acknowledge that Delia has taken beatings “’nough tuh kill three women” (77).  Still, she continues to act with general indifference, waiting for the supernatural justice she believes is coming for Sykes.

25 comments:

  1. This is a great close read and I think that you have an interesting claim. I liked how you made an argument about the washing, but also pointed out how it is problematic, making your argument stronger. Your thesis follows through the entire piece and you use great supporting evidence from the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dane, you have an well thought-out piece here! I followed you the whole way. I would like to see you keep writing though -- you finish with her "waiting for the supernatural justice she believes is coming for Sykes," and it does come in the story. Maybe you could add that into your close read; it might be significant that what she wants is what she gets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A key component of baptism is that one is submerged with the aid of someone who is entrusted within the Christian faith...i.e., a a fellow Christian must baptize someone who is accepting Christ as his/her savior. I think using this in conjunction with your argument (that Delia, although she can wash away her own conflicting emotions, cannot wash away her life). Baptism represents your acceptance of a new life--you become "born again"--and this is what Delia is seeking and cannot accomplish on her own. By including this, i think it will help your argument (hopefully you are able to better articulate this thought, though...sorry, i'm tired).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dane,

    I agree with Jess. I think you have a great argument in the making, I just think it needs a little flushing out. I had to reread your introduction a few times to full grasp your argument, maybe compose a sentence that incorporates both aspects of your argument rather then splitting it into 2 different sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Melissa, once I got read through the introduction twice I was able to fully understand what you were trying to argue. I think your focus on baptism is really cool and I think you've taken a very unique approach to this close read, but I wonder if there's anyway to de-clutter your introduction and make your thesis a little more clear?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Katie, and by that I mean I just wanted to continue the "I agree" train that's going on. What I was really wondering is why you chose to bring up a couple of ideas as problematic, and then just leave them labeled that way without explaining why or investigating the implications of these problems. E.g., what does Delia's dependence upon Snake-Satan to punish Sykes-Satan say about her faith? Maybe her beliefs are foundationally inspired by Christianity, but made more personally practical to fit her own needs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty much like the other people are saying, this is a great start with a little flushing out left to go. I would think about getting rid of some (or all) of the hyphenated sentences here because it makes it hard to follow and seems a little scatter-brained. Use commas or semicolons (where applicable) to signify a pause or sentence break if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like others, I agree that this is well thought out piece. However, I also agree that is could use some more development. Rob makes a great point that you simply state your ideas and do not really analyze them to their full extent. One idea I suggest extra focus on is the end of the short story. You claim that Delia is waiting for Sykes to get what is coming to him, but do not actually delve into what happens when he actually does. I think this is important in bringing your argument full circle. Over all though, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you present a really interesting complication of religion in the story, but you need to explain why this complication is important. I honestly had a hard time following the idea that her washing was her baptism. For me, it was her sweat that was her continual baptism, her way of surviving Sykes. Sweat is referenced in particular multiple times through the story and is also the title. But, that's just my reading of what is cleansing her soul. Sticking with the washing theme, it might be interesting to also incorporate the fact that Delia references the washing tubs at the end of the story and that the song she is singing is about the water rising in the Jordan river to cleanse her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Initially I had some trouble understanding what your thesis statement is for this paper. I think you could use your final paragraph to re-work your introduction to make it easier to understand your argument from the beginning of your paper. Also, I think you could incorporate what Sykes says to Delia about being a hypocrite for washing the white's clothes after she attends church on Sunday. (page 74) I think you could use this contradictory argument to support and really show why her ritual is so important to her; she has to rely on this ritual because of the judgment she receives from Sykes. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your close reading is very well thought out--I would question something and then you would answer it right away!! I think and interesting thing to note is that Delia's washing seems to only be a temporary fix; she has to do it every day, and yet she still feels hatred. I think another way to improve your close reading is to focus more on the question of whether a "triumphant indifference" is really triumphant or not--you get into this more towards the end, but I think it would be an interesting place to put more focus on; the phrase itself even seems non-triumphant, despite its claim that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like that you took some outside information to form this close read--always keeps us readers interested/on our toes. I felt as though your close read just ended quickly. Maybe a quick wrap up would improve the argument and bring it to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job Dane! Your argument is very interesting and easy to follow throughout your piece. I think you did a great job analyzing your supporting details and organizing your piece. I agree with Alyce that your conclusion seemed slightly abrupt. Perhaps you could conclude with an general over view of your argument. Otherwise, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great close read and developed well. I do see a so what, but your introduction was a little but confusing. Overall you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your argument is well thought out and holds up throughout the paper. I think that a more concise thesis would allow the rest of the paragraphs that follow to fit even better into the argument as a whole

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great argument. I love your claims here and I think you have a lot of great thought behind the thesis. The thesis can definitely be made a little bit of cleaning up, but the body of it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder how your argument might change if you considered Sykes not necessarily as representative as Satan, but perhaps as Adam in this, as Adam is attacked by the snake, essentially through his wife. Biblically, it is Eve who first tastes the forbidden fruit, thusly taken adam down with her as they were both under God’s contract. Yet the snake first attacks Delia, who could be seen as eve. This complicates things as it is Sykes himself who throws the snake (who we see as Satan)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dane,
    This is a fantastic close reading. I was able to follow your argument throughout your paper, and I thought your thesis and introduction were pretty clear. I think it would be interesting for you to incorporate the moment where Delia finds the snake in the laundry basket. This moments ties in with several of the claims you've got going on--her own cleansing and the Satanic snake--so I think you could work with this scene. I'll have to chew on it more to come up with any specific ideas how to incorporate it, but I'll let you know if I have any :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel that you present a fairly challenging argument here which complicates issues of religion and questions how Christianity can be posited as positive when it contributes to Delia’s reluctance to leave her abusive marriage. Also, a term you use multiple times within your piece which I found to be interesting was “supernatural justice” and I think it could benefit your paper if you expound more upon this idea in your next draft.

    ReplyDelete
  20. GREAT START! You present a clear thesis and expand on your claims throughout. There is the presentation of the "so what" as well. Possibly re-wording the introduction can help create a bit more clarity for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like your piece. You have an interesting argument and your piece reads well -- you have a clear style of writing and I think you did a good job developing your argument. I did have a little bit of trouble with the introduction, though. In revising, maybe take another look at that paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  22. At first it was difficult to understand your writing but overall it was a well thought out piece and you give a lot of support. It would be interesting to look into the significance of having the snake appear in the laundry basket.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought this was well written and insightful. I had a couple questions that I felt needed to be answered-- This dependence on a satanic figure to punish a different satanic figure is problematic for a woman whose day-to-day life is built upon a ritualistic, religious cleansing through washing. Why?
    Also this last sentence "Still, she continues to act with general indifference, waiting for the supernatural justice she believes is coming for Sykes." Doesn't she get her supernatural justice in the end? How is this problematic, doesn't it seem like her "washing ritual" worked out for her? Is that the problem, that this story suggests not taking action because you're waiting for a supernatural justice is ok?

    ReplyDelete
  24. The only major problem I had was with the second-to-last paragraph, and not even with the paragraph's content, but with the fact that you didn't give me enough. I think it's certainly germane to your argument, but I'd like to see the significance of why this particularly form of supernatural justice is problematic fleshed out a little bit more.

    Actually, in re-reading, I kind of have the same problem with the third-to-last paragraph as well. You acknowledge the facets of Delia's self defense (or lack thereof) that are problematic, but I feel like I need just a little bit more, more information other than the basic fact that these things are problematic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed your close read. I think that though I had to reread the intro but only because it's a complex argument. Great job and interesting argument

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.