Monday, April 16, 2012

In Hitlerdom, Feminine Wile is Not in Style

In terms of tropes associated with the female gender, none is more common than the power of a sexually attractive woman. Cleopatra VII, for example, was one of the most intelligent minds of her day, reputedly speaking seven or eight languages and frequently out-smarting her male contemporaries, yet she is renown, first and foremost, for her great physical beauty. Popular culture ascribes the labels “seductress” and “temptress” to her with little regard to her other formidable traits because female sexuality tends to be viewed as the most effective and potentially dangerous form of exerting power of males. This power dynamic is eliminated completely in Katherine Burdekin’s dystopian novel Swastika Night, where females are subjugated into cattle for the sole purpose of reproduction. This is achieved by the removal of all things sexually desirable in women, both physical and societal.


In the post-Hilterian times of the novel, the Nazi regime has morphed women into such repugnant, unattractive beings that men recognize nothing desirable about them. Women are seen as unclean, not even allowed to be seated during the Worship service as “Women’s rumps were even more defiling to holy places than their little feet” (8). Hermann recalls his time sneaking in to watch a Women’s Worship and seeing the mass of females’ “ugly soft bulgy bodies dressed in feminine tight trousers and jackets” with horror, probably a common reaction to the female form (9). It is telling that Hermann is so repulsed by the typically feminine trait of having curves or a “soft” bodily appearance because much emphasis is placed on a female’s physique as a tool for manipulation of men.


The men also put particular importance on physical size. Frequently when the women are described words like “little” and “small” are used. Females are usually of smaller stature than males and daintiness is seen as a very feminine, often desirable, trait. To subvert this, the men worship the ideal individual as physically sizeable beings “of pride, courage, violence, brutality, [and] ruthlessness,” (28) qualities not normally associated with women. Unable to find such ideal standards in women, men are forced to search for this desirable trait within their own gender, which further removes women from the power scheme.


The Nazis also shave the women’s heads, described by Hermann as “small shaven ugly heads” (9). This removal of hair is significant because having beautiful hair is largely seen as a feminine trait, and yet can be found within the society, albeit in other men. Specifically, Hermann’s reaction to the young choirboy’s “long fair silky hair” (1) is one that would normally be directed toward a girl. Interestingly, later in the novel he comes upon the chorister attempting to rape a young Christian girl and expresses how he “loathed the boy for being even interested in girls—with his lovely face, his unmasculine immaturity—Hermann was physically jealous” (33). Hermann’s attitude that he finds “unmasculine” features appealing as well as the chorister’s interest in raping a girl seem to indicate that despite the men’s apparent homosexual tendencies, they still subconsciously value feminine traits and desire women on a basic, physical level. Indeed, they do use women sexually, but under the guise that it is purely for sexual satisfaction and reproduction. Naturally, the women are not allowed to refuse these advances past a certain age, which takes away the female’s ability to use their sexuality as leverage over males. The Nazis solved this inequality in power by conditioning the men to find the female form distasteful and undesirable, causing them to prefer males.


On a more holistic level, through their oppressive practices and societal exclusion, the men have managed to strip away the women’s humanity. They are treated as animals, being referred to as “poor cattle” (11) by the Knight. Hermann describes their weeping in the Women’s Worship as wailing “like puppies, like kittens, with thin shrill cries and sobs. Nothing human” (9). The Nazis have dehumanized the women to the point that Hermann truly believes that “women have no souls and therefore are not humans,” (9). They are not taught to read or get an education and are taught that their sole purpose in life is to bear "men-children". Playing up their animalistic qualities as soulless livestock stop the men from viewing the women as people, which is the ultimate form of degradation. They are revolted by the women and find nothing sexually appealing about a group they deem subhuman and so the female's power is eradicated.


The apparatuses of oppression present in this novel are interesting because they speak volumes about the aspects of male and female sexuality that weigh in on gender power dynamics. In terms of stereotypes, men are strong and masculine, often relying on their physical strength to clinch the upper hand. Women, on the other hand, use their desirability, their “feminine wiles”, to gain power. By stripping the women of their classically desirable traits and considering them disgusting or transferring them to other men the Nazis were able to significantly sway the balance in power between the genders. Burdekin uses this as an allegorical example of the constant challenges and power struggles women face today in striving for gender equality, particularly in the realm of female sexuality.

31 comments:

  1. I think your close reading is really rather spectacular. In your first paragraph you clearly outline how women's sexuality is their utmost domineering feature, even foreshadowing intelligence at times. You then go on to describe how this is stripped away from women in Swastika Night. You clearly answer the "so what?" question in your final paragraph. So I guess I just have a few questions for you. Why might the dehumanization of women in this novel be seen as necessary? If feminine characteristics automatically stereotype women as subordinate to male masculinity, why did they further need to be lowered in status? What is the author trying to say by making this move? Keep in mind that this novel was written during the Holocaust, when the attacks were on a race of humans, not on gender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really well thought out piece. The idea that the elimination of female sexuality in the Nazi society of Swastika Nights is interesting and worth delving into. I only have a few suggestions for you. One would be to focus more on the emphasis they seem to place on the belief that women have no souls. Another would be to maybe differentiate how Nazi women and Christian women are treated in the novel. Is this important? Also, I would expand on your conclusion a bit more, it really ties the whole piece together. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a really interesting topic for your piece and you do a great job supporting it. The further you read into the book, the more emphasis is placed on the ideas that you are bringing up. My only comment is that instead of directly focusing on the Nazis, I think it's important to acknowledge that it is men, not just the political party, that has placed women in this degraded role. All the men in the novel view women this way, not just the Nazis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,
    Great close reading! You have a very clear topic that is explained and well supported throughout your piece. You touch briefly on how the men only have sex with the women for pleasure or for reproduction which to me is problematic. Maybe you could talk more about this and other ways their dehumanization of the woman is problematic considering there is still a need for them in terms of reproduction. Just a thought, but good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post - your thesis is pretty clear and you use lots of evidence to support it. I do think, though, that the most interesting aspect (and maybe the "so what" factor") is the very last sentence about how Burdekin uses this novel as an allegory for the constant struggle between the genders. Definitely bring this idea up earlier - it will help refine your argument and give us another level at which we can think about the evidence presented in the rest of the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily,

    Great Job. You argument was pretty basic but, it was well supported with great evidence. I also with Dane that you are lacking a "so what". It could be interesting to not only talk about the striping of gender from the women, but also why they have done so. Stripping the women of their beauty allows the men to not be controlled or influenced by their beauty. I think you have a great start, I think it just needs to be a bit deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily,

    This is an amazing close read! I think you need to expand your conclusion to explain more concretely what Burdekin's allegory points out about gender and power struggles. Other than that, I think this piece is ready to go. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really great, thought out close read. Your conclusion sentence brings up an interesting point that I think you could focus on more throughout your paper. I would bring that to the top and make sure that you mention that throughout. It is an interesting point, and it should be noted earlier. Otherwise, I think you did a great job with including examples from the text and making sure you analyze each quote. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a clear thesis about the stripping of desirable attributes, and you have a ton of evidence to support your claim. I am however seeing a lot of summary, and I think you would strengthen your claims by explaining why they are important on a larger scale. Lots of good stuff here though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job, i agree with everyone above me. Even though you argument is basic and not that argumentative, you do give good evidence and you so what factor is very clear in your conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah the mention of the allegory at the end is really interesting. It makes me wonder about an alternative scenario where women's abilities to leverage their sexuality are removed, not forcefully to make women powerless, but because they have power/equality with men and the ability is no longer necessary. Is that a possible scenario? I'm not sure how much it relates to your paper, but it could be a possible way to further explore the allegory... Otherwise, you really did a great job with this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emily,
    I really liked your argument that "This power dynamic is eliminated completely in Katherine Burdekin’s dystopian novel Swastika Night, where females are subjugated into cattle for the sole purpose of reproduction. This is achieved by the removal of all things sexually desirable in women, both physical and societal." You use evidence to support throughout and you ideas are well thought out. However, I think you might still be missing a little bit of the "so what" factor. You begin to touch on this in your last sentence when you say, "Burdekin uses this as an allegorical example of the constant challenges and power struggles women face today in striving for gender equality, particularly in the realm of female sexuality", but you need to keep pushing further. Two other small things: 1.) you might want to include in your introduction somewhere that this is based on heterosexual norms 2.) you talk about a balance in power in your last paragraph: "By stripping the women of their classically desirable traits and considering them disgusting or transferring them to other men the Nazis were able to significantly sway the balance in power between the genders." But is "balance" really the right word?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really strong piece. You do a wonderful job of outlining the ways that women are dehumanized and made unfeminine. I think if you focused a little bit more on the why it is significant that the men are trained to find the masculine form more attractive, you would really have something. What is it about the female body that is so repulsive? Or is it that if men were to find women attractive, they would be unable to put them down as soulless and inhuman, therefore changing the power dynamic of the religion?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a good close reading, and you do a good job providing evidence for your claims. However, I think you should further consider your "women's sexuality is their power" claim, and the complications with this. I keep thinking of how woman are often objectified because of their sexuality, rather than strengthened by it. Consider the expression, "I'm not just a piece of meat." I think there's a weird power dynamic that arises from sexualizing women... On one hand, yes, they can use this to their advantage, but on the other hand, are men not often blinded by women's sexuality? You affirm this in your intro about Cleopatra... her intelligence took the back seat to her looks. In this way, wouldn't removing woman's sexuality be somewhat of a good thing? I think this is something you should consider to further complicate your argument and achieve your "so-what." Other than that, great start.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You gesture towards it very briefly, and while it may be too much to pursue in this short space, I think the homosexual tendencies/nature of this society are worth pursuing. The men need SOMEWHERE to expend their sexual energies, so they transfer sexual desire onto other men.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have written a really interesting post here. I love how you discuss the stripping the women of their beauty and their physically attractive qualities in order to make them completely undesirable to the men, and how that relates to your conclusion. I think you have sufficient evidence here, but for your revision I think you should elaborate a little bit more on your quotes. I think that would add more substance to your argument and give your paper more support over all. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great close reading! The only thing I suggest is to make sure you weave in what you say in the conclusion through the entire paper to strengthen your argument. And some of your quotes could use some more developing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really impressed with the cohesiveness and organization of this piece. I think you've done a good job of selecting your quotes and explaining how they support your thesis. You have now made me, and it looks like several other classmates interested in the emerging homosexual tendencies as men still gravitate towards femininity, so i think you could explore that more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! You have a clear focus with ample evidence and strong points. The only thing I think you could do is to delve deeper in to your 'so what' argument that you bring out in your conclusion paragraph. Otherwise, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your post. As others have stated, your thesis is clear and focused. I, too, enjoyed the final sentence of this essay because it summed up the importance of your claims. Overall, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a very well-thought out close read with a clear thesis statement and "so-what" factor. It is clear you really put a lot of time looking for the right pieces of evidence. I feel as though your conclusion really brings the paper around full-circle. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post was really good and definitely ended on a strong sentence. I think that information in the last sentence would be even better if you brought it up earlier in your argument--it seemed like it was your "so what" and it would make more of an impact if the reader were thinking about it throughout your argument instead of just at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your close reading is really well written and easy to follow, but I think you can push your thoughts further to develop a really interesting argument. Right now, it seems to be more of a series of observations, all of which are very interesting, but don't yet prove anything. You should think about the implications for these observations, why they seem significant and what it means in the greater scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you are off to a great start. Your thesis is developed and clearly runs throughout the essay tying it all together neatly. I do agree with other though that maybe digging a little deeper with help to identify a clear and quite informative "so what" factor.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You’ve done a great job with this piece and have carefully dissected a crucial aspect of Swastika Night. When reading your piece it made me think of the “male gaze” which is often discussed in relation to the way films, television, and even ads are created as if solely for the viewing purposes or pleasures of (heterosexual) men. By portraying women in objectifying and at times even hypersexual manners it speaks to the idea that women have no value other than their looks. Your discussion of how even that stereotypical presumed value of women is taken away from the women in Swastika Night and they aren’t allowed to think for themselves the women have absolutely no agency. It also stuck out to me that women in the novel and characteristics about them were often described as “little” and “small” and I was glad to see you explore this in your close reading.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've nailed the format and the clarity. So now I think you just have to make your argument more complicated and dig deeper while staying true to this great structure. A bold, argumentative claim would strengthen this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Also, you totally killed it with this title. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this is a very good close reading. I liked your thesis and felt it was clear all the way through. Loved the title. I think maybe just pushing your ideas a smidgen more! Well done though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Overall you have a really good argument, I just think it could be pushed a bit more. I think if you cut some of the summary and develop the "so what" factor, this will be a very strong piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My first suggestion is of the upmost importance, you do not reference Cleopatra's role in the 1990's smash hit "She's So High" by Tal Bachman and I think it must be done. Secondly, I think you need to revise your thesis a bit to help bring in the paragraph about dehumanization. It is important to talk about, especially with taking away something so human as sex, but seems out of place where it's at.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really liked your perspective with this piece. I do think that, if possible, it would be interesting to examine how men/women express homosexual desires, but it would also be important to make sure that the essay does not lose focus as a result. Overall this was very quality writing, however.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.