Monday, April 23, 2012

Light and Darkness in "Sweat"


                In Zora Neale Hurston’s “Sweat” the use of light throughout the story helps illuminate Delia’s journey. Darkness and night coincide with fear, especially the fear of Delia. Light and matches and the lamp indicate a proactive change, and a switch in the power dynamics between Delia and Sykes.
                The story opens with “It was eleven o’clock of a Spring night in Florida” (73). Delia is working, preparing herself for the week of laundry work. Hurston opening “Sweat” in the night correlates with Delia being trapped in her unhappy marriage with Sykes. Delia is in a dark and hopeless place, with little hope for peace.   Sykes demonstrates his enjoyment in causing Delia frustration and sorrow, by scaring her with his whip (73). The whip, used by Sykes to mimic a snake, causes Delia great fright. While it may be reminiscent of a snake, the whip also likely instills fear in Delia because it is a tool used on people for punishment and beatings. Sykes also clearly enjoys making life even more difficult for Delia as he disrupts her piles of clothes, even grinding his boots into them (74). This display by Sykes shows that he recognizes and is uncomfortable with Delia being the breadwinner. In complicating her work load, Sykes attempts to assert his dominance, and tries to show Delia that he has control.
                Delia had had enough, and the presence of light signifies and strengthens her character. Sykes “struck a match against his breeches,” and commenced to tell Delia that he would not have her white people’s washing in “mah house” (74, 75). After threatening a beating, Sykes watches as “Delia’s habitual meekness seemed to slip from her shoulders like a blown scarf… bravely defying the strapping hulk before her” (75). Delia’s stance against Sykes with a iron skillet, surprises Sykes and the reader. Sykes is astonished that humble, skinny Delia is standing up to him and claiming the house as her own. His astonishment and his departure signal his waning control over Delia. In leaving the house, Sykes subconsciously surrenders control of the house to Delia and represents to the reader the shift in power dynamics.
                In the ending of “Sweat,” it is, again, night. Delia, returning home from church feels empowered (82). Delia, setting about to do her work, looks for matches, but finds “There was only one” for Sykes had “done toted off nigh on tuh haff uh box uh matches” (83). Sykes taking the matches is symbolic of him trying to take Delia’s newfound power from her by bringing in the snake. The removal of matches is his attempt to remove and further power gains by Delia, and mirrors his attempt to terrorize her with the rattler. In taking her ability to make light or fire, Sykes is trying to take her ability to bring in wash.  Yet, Delia finds the lone remaining match, and thus finds the courage to free the snake.
                The story ends at daybreak. Sykes has returned from his night endeavor with Brenda. Delia is outside, terrified of the snake in her bed. As Delia hears Sykes’ screams as he meets his demise with the snake, she “waits in the growing heat,” (85). The ending at daybreak signifies that at last Sykes has relinquished all control of Delia and she is finally free. She finally holds the power. 

25 comments:

  1. You have an interesting argument here, but I don't think your argument is clear until your third paragraph. I would make your first paragraph strong by incorporating the so what factor in order to show why your argument is important to focus on. You use great supporting evidence to support your argument and I think that you have good draft. Just make sure to start your argument off strong and follow through with the rest of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea here, the way light plays in the story. You showed my your argument clearly, but there was a lot of plot summary in the process. I'd suggest going back through and seeing what's necessary, and if it is, accompany it with some analysis. Overall, great work! Just do some restructuring, like what Justina was saying too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your response and I think you're onto something with the way light plays into the story. I agree with Laura and Justina, a lot of summary and not a lot of synthesizing. Your last sentence in the first paragraph is more of a statement than an argument: the light and the match represent change but what does that do? Explore how that representation manifests and (more importantly) WHY it manifests. But great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think focusing on light as a way of having and exerting power is where your argument gains traction (your reading of the matches was excellent!). I think your use of the whip did not fit with your paper, and I think your argument as of right now is a little too simplistic--darkness is bad, light is good. You bring up interesting moments where Delia is empowered in darkness--explore those. Like, i said, you end by examining control is terms of having light so your entire paper should examine and support this claim. Using more support like how you analyzed the scene with the matches will make this close read amazing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good; I just have two things for you to consider:
    1. I don't think Delia courageously frees the snake. Hugely important to your argument is the biggest paragraph on p. 83. She runs away fearfully, grabs a lamp (a light source!), and as she's running the wind blows out a light, which adds to her fear. These are super important things you could address to slightly modify, but really strengthen what you're arguing in that 4th paragraph.
    2. I also just think you could further analyze the ideas behind the final scene happening at daybreak. What about talking about the narrator's use of the word "extinguish" in the last sentence, in talking about Sykes dying? There's got to be some serious significance there to your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I really fully understand the argument here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lot of great analysis of light here, and I also agree with what Rob is suggesting. There are other significant moments of light that take place near the end of the story that I think it would be important to incorporate with your argument about light. I also think it would be useful to develop more why the author is using light to portray this power, beyond just telling us that light is portraying power.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an worth while idea, but does need some work. I agree with Rob that Delia is not freeing the snake, rather find it on accident. Also, I think it is important to note during the day Delia is not completely safe from Syke's abuse. For instance, he shows off his mistress to the whole town one afternoon and is happy that Delia can see them while she is working. That may be over thinking your argument, but I think that you could make it stronger so that these types of claims will not be able to weaken it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand what you are trying to argue in your post. I agree with what Rob said though, I think you should definitely include the lamp in your argument. It's even mentioned in your thesis paragraph. I think that you could also include race in your argument a little bit if you wanted. There is a part in the story on page 82 when Delia mentions how she's going to go to the "white folks" for help; this signifies that even light skin tones hold power in this story. That might be a tangent, but just something I thought may help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There seems to be a lot of summary here and it seems to distract from your argument. If you cut some of that out and focus more on supporting what you are trying to argue, I think that could help you focus your close read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have good connections to light and dark and the empowerment of Delia with light, but what is the so what? I also think you should make your analysis stronger, which can come from cutting out summary and developing the argument by going deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Rob. I think its crucial to address her fear. You also need a lot of grammatical tune ups throughout the piece. You do have good evidence except I am unclear on how the bull whip section fits into your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you have an interesting idea about the light and dark, but the first few body paragraphs don't really deal with light and darkness, except for the short sentences about the setting. If you want to maintain your argument about light and dark, you should shift your evidence to make claims about just that, and use the other passages only for support. This might seem a little nit-picky, but in light of the handout Professor Renzi gave us Tuesday, make sure your topic sentences make claims and don't just summarize.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you have a good start and an interesting argument. However, I think you need to bring in more details that pertain to your argument and use less plot summary. Also perhaps you could expand upon your conclusion to discuss why this ending is significant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this argument, how the attitude of delia changes with the time of day. I agree with others that the third paragraph may need some work in order to flow better with the others. I also think that more evidence to prove that there is a power struggle between the two would help solidify such a stance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that you have a good argument and the way it examines the roles light and darkness play within the story and how they juxtapose one another is extremely fascinating. However, I think that you could make your argument even stronger if you complicate things further and discuss the greater implications of light and darkness within the story, beyond the commonly assumed idea that light equates to good and darkness to evil. I think that by doing this it could also help you build upon your “so what” factor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Strong idea behind your argument, but I think you can get more argumentative in your actual paper. There are a lot of different things you can do with your relatively broad idea, so I think you should pick something bold and argumentative. This would also help lead you to that "so what."

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am personally partial to Rob's argument here. I feel like you have done a great bin dealing with light as an aspect of the short story, but I feel like there are elements that you can focus on to make your argument that much stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great start! I like the idea light yet there needs to be more expansion to support your piece and provide for a stringer argument. More evidence should help illuminate the so what through the implications of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm having a really difficult time following your argument... most of your close reading seems to summarize parts of the story that don't even relate to the concepts of light/dark. I think you chose a really interesting topic to work with, but you're not really working with it like you could be. I think it would be interesting for you to incorporate the moment where Delia escapes from the snake into the darkness... in this moment, the dark is a positive thing. Also, you struggle with some really awkward wording that makes it difficult to understand what you're saying... try to be really active and concise in your writing instead of dancing around your thoughts and adding in filler words.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I overall really liked your idea and where you were going with it, but I think you kind of lost your focus. There seemed to be a lot of plot summary in the process of getting your point across. I'd suggesting taking some time when you revise to decide what's really necessary to your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you need to change your introduction to make your argument more clear. I felt a little confused at the beginning with the way it was worded. When you say "especially the fear of Delia" do you mean Delia's fear? or Sykes fear of Delia? Also, I don't think that Delia freed the snake, I think you could change that statement to striking the match gave her the courage to escape unharmed from the snake. This argument also seems to be lacking a so what.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like where your paper is going but it is definitely missing your "so what" in there. Also, I think you can work a little more relating to the light and darkness. I think you wrote on the surface level but you can dig deeper because I saw where you were going but I just felt like you didn't unpack as well as you could of. You still have great ideas here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You mention Delia's "power" and her "power gains" throughout the paper, but how exactly she gains power and what form that power takes is not entirely clear to me. Exploring those concepts, and highlighting exact moments where power is won or lost (outside of the metaphor of the matches/light) will, I think, go a long way in helping you to create a powerful argument and thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your argument confused me. At times it was unclear and without direction. However there are moments that if you focus on would make a much stronger argument. Some of the abbé examples are a good plae to start.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.