In Tennessee William’s play, A Streetcar Named Desire, the colors white and blue are used to reflect the sincerity of a situation. Blanche consistently clothes herself in the color white in a frantic attempt to make herself look and feel pure, even though her purity has long been absent; this associates the color white with deception and fantasy. Conversely, Stanley is associated with the color blue, which is used throughout the play when harsh truth is exposed. Stanley forces a cruel reality upon Blanche’s deceitful fantasies; as Blanche battles between the colors of white and blue, she cannot maintain her purely white image and ultimately succumbs to the struggle.
Blanche often veils herself in the color white in order to convince others of her sexual purity, while simultaneously attempting to convince herself of this lie. When Blanche first appears, she is described as dressing in a white suit with a white hat (5). A bit later, while scrutinizing her sister Stella’s appearance, she tells her, “You messy child, you, you’ve spilt something on that pretty white lace collar!” (15). Blanche is immediately drawn to the white in Stella’s collar, and scolds her for allowing dirt to ruin the purity of its color; this exposes her infatuation with the color white and her obsession with the purifying powers she believes it to have.
Stanley, with his harsh candor, is often associated with the color blue; he constantly tries to expose Blanche’s lies by replacing her fake whiteness with his own blue truth. In the opening scene, Stanley is “roughly dressed in blue denim work clothes” (4). Although Stanley is regularly cruel, he is depicted as consistently honest. Furthermore, the “blue piano” often starts playing during his scenes, and is occasionally sparked by his presence (29, 44, 84). Stanley’s blue clothing, as well as his correlation to the blue piano, establishes an association between his harsh truthfulness and the color blue. Furthermore, Stanley often tries to eliminate the color white in an attempt to expose the truth. During the card party scene, Stanley “crosses to the small white radio and snatches it off the table. With a shouted oath, he tosses the instrument out the window” (62). Stanley cannot stand the thought of the deceptive noise from the white radio blocking out the sound of the truth. He also exposes Blanche’s “white” act as a lie, when he exposes her dirty history and says, “But sister Blanche is no lily!” (119). By saying this in relation to a lily, Stanley ignites the imagery of whiteness; Stanley is stripping the false “white” image from Blanche in order to expose the harsh reality she cannot bear to face.
Blanche perpetually struggles with the competing colors of white and blue, as she attempts to cover up the dirty truth and replace it with fantasy. When the truth is thrown in her face, the color blue overwhelms her to the point of panic. In the scene where Mitch tells Blanche he will not marry her, Blanche “rushes to the big window with its pale blue square of the soft summer light and cries wildly” (150). In the same moment, the stage direction says that “The distant piano is slow and blue” (150). Because Mitch has exposed her lies, the truth prevails; despite her attempts to avoid reality, Blanche cannot escape the blue.
Blanch ultimately cannot maintain her pure white image, and willingly acknowledges the inevitable exposure of the truth. In the last scene where her mounting insanity is uncovered and punished, Blanche clothes herself in a blue dress; this prepares her to face the reality of an insane asylum in which she can no longer carry on her fantasies. She tells Stella, “I’ll be buried at sea sewn up in a clean white sack and dropped overboard—at noon—in the blaze of summer—and into an ocean as blue as my first lover’s eyes!” (170). Blanche recognizes her struggle between truth and deception in this moment; she knows that even in death, she will not be able to escape her struggle to balance the two, as she’ll be buried in a white sack in the blue sea and the colors will forever be at odds.
This is a great argument and I think that you have done a great job with using examples to support it. The only thing I would add is the "so what" factor to make sure the readers know why this is so important for them to know.
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteI think this has to be my favorite piece this semester. Your argument of blue versus white throughout the play is spot on and supported by adequate evidence. I was captivated by your claims and think you have done a great job. I honestly don't have any suggestions. Good work!
This is a really well written piece with a great thesis. The aspect of white and blue in this play is not very apparent, but your piece really helps to bring its underlying meanings to the surface. The only suggestion I have is to add more analysis to the quote in the last paragraph from page 170. I think this is really significant and could really add more to your piece with more development. Great piece though!
ReplyDeleteGreat work! You have a strong thesis with well thought out evidence and analysis to support your argument. Your paper was intriguing and interesting to read. I don't think I have any suggestions. I enjoyed reading, good work!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a very intriguing argument. I like how you attached the colors of white and blue to both the characters and the values of purity and a harsh truth. For your revision, I agree with Leanne and I think if you further analyze your last quote, you can add more detail about the significance of these colors being at odds and what that means for Blanche's sanity and when she "ultimately succumbs to the struggle". Great work!
ReplyDeleteThis thesis and argument are really well done. I honestly don't have any suggestions for improvement, I was convinced by what you argued and didn't have any questions throughout the piece. I guess you could analyze the last quote more, but I don't see how it detracts from your piece with the analysis you have for it right now.
ReplyDeleteI think you are really on to something here with the colors white and blue as representations of truth and disception. However, I read the white and blue as representations of social hierarchy as in "white collar" vs. "blue collar". That would mean that Blanche (french feminine for white) has experienced a fall in social standing due to the loss of their plantation, the loss of her husband, etc. She is critiquing her sister getting dirt on her white collar because Stella has also fallen in social class standing but is comfortable with this. Therefore, Stanley wearing blue is a representation of his "blue collar" life and the radio is white because it is a "white collar" commodity. To tie this into your argument, you could say that the other characters are comfortable with their social class standing and are honest in where they stand in this hierarchy, whereas Blanche is uncomfortable with her fall in social stature is thus clothing herself in white to pretend to be "white collar".
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kelli; she has some really good thoughts that can be worked into your argument.
ReplyDeleteI also would try to expand upon this last quote you include about being thrown into the ocean. Has she really recognized her struggle? She still says that the sack she'll be placed in is a "clean white" one, and that she'll be sewn up in it, which to me sort of suggests that the ocean won't be able to infiltrate through the sack to her body. So maybe she still thinks she can successfully protect herself from the "blue truth", even in her death.
I really like your argument. It's very well thought out and you stick very strongly to the claim you make in your thesis. I think it's interesting that Blanche's former husband's eyes were blue (the eyes being an inherent body part, unable to be removed like clothing), yet the little we know about him is his deceit. The quote on 170 implies blue covering up white: the color blue can easily mask the color white; conversely, white cannot cover up a dark color like blue. Can we think of this kind of masking relationship in terms of Allan's suicide? If so, what might this suggest about truth/blueness and deception/whiteness?
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteI think that your thesis needs to be brushed up a bit. It has good material, but it is a bit wordy and not exactly easy to follow. A clearer thesis would offer your paper more direction, and would be easier for the reader to follow.
Excellent close reading! I didn't even notice the ways that color was used in the play. I find it interesting that "white" is often associated with purity and honesty, yet it represents the exact opposite with Blanche. Do you think the play is trying to say that, if we're truly honest, there is no purity in us? Just a thought. Great work!
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I never thought about the color used in the play, I didn't pay much attention to the colors being presented in the stage directions. You had a great argument and I followed it throughout your piece. You have great textual evidence as well. I really enjoyed it
I think this has the potential to be a good close reading, but I'm missing the "so what" factor - what are the implications of the author's use of these colors? What impact does this have on the reader? Push the piece a bit further and it will be great.
ReplyDeleteYou have a good focus (particularly in light of the fact that Streetcar is a play, a very visual medium) and follow through with it well, and while I don't want to say "You need the 'so what' factor" and beat that into the ground, I really do think you need to go that extra step to make your response exceptional.
ReplyDeleteThis was a fantastic close reading. I was captivated by it. I do think it would interesting to consider, however, the times when Stanley himself is not wearing blue, namely after he abuses Stella and is calling her outside the window. He is described as "half dressed", and later when Blanche and Stella are discussing him, he comes in wearing an "undershirt and grease stained seersucker pants". Not only is he not described as wearing blue in these scenes where his integrity is being called into question, I personally imagined him in a white undershirt. I wonder how this could be added into your play, perhaps calling into question Stanley's undying honesty, but still perpetuating the idea of white covering up the truth? Just something to consider. But overall, this is a very interesting piece!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting close reading! I thought it was very impressive the way you picked up on the colors of white and blue during the play. I think your strength in this piece is in the details and analysis that you use to back up your argument. I think that your argument needs to be a little more clear but other than that, great job!
ReplyDeleteYour response is eye-opening...
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting response. You do a great job explaining your argument and supporting it with evidence and analysis.
One thing I kept asking myself when reading this was "why is this important?" Perhaps you can elaborate more on the ending and set me straight.
I love this! i think the whole class is seriously impressed! so great work! I agree with others that a "so what?" could take your paper to the next level. you have great examples, and so i think if you delved into what they implied in the grand scheme of things, you'd have something exceptional. i like Kelli and Dane's suggestions too
ReplyDeleteI really like your focus on the colors; you picked up on some really interesting connections. In your introduction, you say white symbolizes "deception" and "fantasy" but I think those are two different things and not interchangeable.
ReplyDeleteIn your second paragraph, about Blanche and her fascination with white, you talk about her liking white, but not how she personally uses it. I think you could pull a quote that shows her relying on white to show deception, or even unpack your first quote about her arrival to prove that she's using as a tool, not just that she is drawn to it.
Similarly for Stanley, I think you should acknowledge a moment that he is advocating truth that directly associates him with the color blue; when the piano plays while he talks is a good one, so I think if you rearranged that in your paragraph you could use it as a set up rather than an example.
Finally, I think your argument would be a lot stronger if you payed more attention to each quote; instead of just explaining them, I think if you pulled terms directly from the passages you quote and talked about their implications for the idea you're conveying, your quotes would be a lot more effective.
I really liked this close read of focusing on colors, very insightful! Great use of evidence, you really made sure you found pieces that fit with your argument. However, I was left a bit confused because you state that white represents Blanches attempt to remain "pure," and then blue is made to represent "honesty or truthfulness." Since these seem like similar contexts I would suggest maybe more explicitly defining these terms for the reader.
ReplyDeleteThe symbolism of the colors and the characters they are attached to is a really strong argument. I think some more evidence will allow this argument to soar. How do these colors play into their economic standing? Or at least where they THINK they stand?
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job! Perhaps you could add more analysis to some of your quotes for I felt like you could've done more with them. Also, I think you could be a bit more concise of what you mean by struggle in your last sentence of the first paragraph. It could be her inner-self fighting to keep up these illusions, her fighting back with Stanley to uphold her identity, etc.
ReplyDeleteI really like the direction you took this! It was a unique argument. Definitely play up the details with more evidence, that will make your argument that much stronger. I can't really think of much else to add besides great job, I can tell you put effort into your reading!
ReplyDeleteI like this response. I think you could even look at the traditional colors of white and blue in terms of class -- Blanche is the white collar, high class lady while Stanley is definitely the more blue collar worker. Play with that a little bit, I think it could really play into your argument.
ReplyDeleteI really like the this close reading. You did such a nice job identifying the use of colors in the play and them demonstrated their usage well throughout your piece. The only advice I can really offer would be to extend the so what factor you've established just a little further. You talk about what this means for Blanche, but what about for the reader? Can you take this any further?
ReplyDeleteNice work! I thought your close reading was well done and your evidence was supported thoroughly. Like others, I would just strive to further the meaning behind the colors and develop an answer to the "so what?" question.
ReplyDelete