Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Reciprocal Revival of the Fearful Lovers


Over a game of cards in Angela Carter’s, The Tiger’s Bride, a careless and desperately broke father sells his daughter in attempt to win the entirety of his component’s riches. Disgusted by her fathers actions and curious about “The Beast” and “the exact nature of his beastliness,” (55) the girl begins to reflect on a fairy tale about a tiger-man that was told by her nurse, “to scare me into good behavior, for I was a wild wee thing and she could not tame me into submission with a frown or the bribe of a spoonful of jam” (56). The more time the girl spends at The Beast’s palace, the more she ponders her imitative upbringing and the amount of fear that was instilled in her in order to maintain conformity. She also begins to see the true nature of The Beast and compares his sensitivity and loneliness to that of the men he attempts to imitate. Ultimately, she realizes that they both had been leading lives that were not true to their nature. Although becoming comfortable with one’s own individuality is never a simple task, the girl is able to experience a revival by accepting her own animalistic nature, as well as The Beast’s. By battling against her own fears of the past and ridding of conformed societal roles, the girl and The Beast are able to reciprocally become comfortable in their own skins.
             
Although fearful of her situation at first, the girl realizes that the father that abandoned her and the men that objectify her are far worse than The Beast and his desires. While thinking of the “different logic” she held as a person of society, in comparison with The Beast and the beings of his palace, this realization at first gave her, “a certain fearfulness still; but, I would say, not much…I was a young girl, a virgin, and therefore men denied me rationality just as they denied it to all those who were not exactly like themselves…” (63). Since they both are denied by society of being able to think logically, and are instead objectified or seen as uncivilized creatures, the girl begins to empathize with The Beast. She again questions her role in society when she compares herself to the doll that powders her cheeks, “I certainly meditated on the nature of my own state, how I had been bought and sold, passed from hand to hand…had I not been allotted only the same kind of imitative life amongst men…” (63). Not only is the girl becoming less fearful of The Beast, but she also denies her own society and the mindset of many of those within it after being at the palace.
            
With a new sense of self and understanding of her situation, the girl rids of her fears and willingly gives into The Beasts desires, ultimately satisfying herself simultaneously. Although the girl witnessed The Beast fully undressed in his raw, naked form, she was nervous to do the same and fumbles with her dress, “for no man had seen me naked and I was a proud girl. Pride it was, not shame, that thwarted my fingers so” (64). She soon moved past her pride though, and as she followed them through the woods, rid of the clothes that bound her to her old life the girl thought, “I felt I was at liberty for the first time in my life” (64). Whether she felt freed from the outside world she once identified herself with, or simply liberated for exposing her own true form to The Beast who was also exposed as a tiger, is it clear that the girl willingly opened up to The Beast and was no longer feeling threatened.
            
Similar to the girl, The Beast displays his own transformation, which is why their actions are viewed reciprocally. When approaching the palace for the first time, the girl realizes that “The Beast bought solitude, not luxury, with his money” (57). In their first initial encounters, The Beast wears a clothes and a mask that conceal his entirety. He even soaks himself in a “thick, rich, wild scent” (58) to mask his natural odors. She soon realizes that he imitates a man out of fear of not being accepted. He seems ashamed of his beastliness as he hides his figure and face from the girl. Several times, he cries in front of the girl, shedding a single tear. Although it is not explicitly said, I believe the girl begins to understand The Beast and his loneliness. By the time the story reaches its final scene, The Beast is no longer concealing himself through false clothes and odors, and he can no longer smell the fear of the girl. Instead, there is a “sweet thunder” of his purring and in a sort of sexual act, “his tongue ripped off skin after successive skin, all the skins of a life in the world, and left behind a nascent patina of shining hairs” (67). Together, the unlikely pair are able to let their barriers down and instead of hiding their animalistic nature, they let it run wild by ridding their fears of going against society’s expectations, and instead exposing their true selves to each other.
            
 Although the girl willingly lets go of her civilized lifestyle, constrained by gender roles and conformity, where individuals are discouraged to expose their true selves, it is not an easy task. She battles with her nakedness since it is not accustomed to the society she knows, and feels that taking off her clothes “involved a kind of flaying” (66). In the context of The Tiger’s Bride, battling with her nakedness can be a metaphor for overcoming her insecurities and coming into selfhood; becoming comfortable with her individual identity. By battling through it, the girl and The Beast are both able to experience a kind of revival, a new beginning, where they are both comfortable for the first time within their own skin.  

27 comments:

  1. Andi,
    Great work with your piece! Especially after today's class discussions I can really connect with your main claim that both characters experience an eventual renewal of self and comfort level in their new skin. In your second to last paragraph you mention that the Beast dresses as a man for fear of not being accepted. This explicit statement really struck me and I think should be mentioned sooner in your argument as the initial cause of insecurity. I know you touch on the social implications for both characters to act a certain way but for me having that mentioned in a straight-forward matter really helps the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really great piece and you do a great job incorporating examples from the text to use for both characters. My one recommendation for you is to use less plot summary. I feel that a large part of the beginning of your paper is summary, so if you could analyze the plot instead, it can strengthen your argument a lot more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andi,
    In your introduction, you state that "By battling against her own fears of the past and ridding of conformed societal roles, the girl and The Beast are able to reciprocally become comfortable in their own skins." This is interesting, but I still want to know why it matters: the infamous "so what" factor. I find it interesting that the beast intentionally puts on an "additional skin" but that the girls' covering is really her skin .... it simply covers another layer. Perhaps you might address this idea of layering in your analysis. One suggestion I have is to define what you mean by "comfortable in their own skins." This is somewhat cliche and might require some fleshing out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this close read. You have an interesting argument with great supporting evidence. However, I think that it could be developed more. You have several quotes that your briefly expand on, but if you were to push them further, the piece would be really strong. Also, I think including the walls crumbling down during the woman's "rebirth" scene could also be beneficial to your argument to show both her and the beast creating further detachments from society. Great work though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andi, this is so good! I followed you the whole way. What you have is already a really strong piece. I'd enjoy seeing you just keep going! In the end, you touch a lot on coming into "selfhood" and the "rebirth" going on; if you expand there more, I think you'd have a clearly defined start for a So What.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your close reading has some really strong points, but they could benefit from some further analysis. I think one interesting thing to look at is that the girl does not shed her own skin, the beast does it for her and this forces her into a passive role. Although she feels liberated, what are the costs of being forced into (both by his initial request to see her naked and then licking off her skin) this rebirth?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a pretty good close reading, but I think the most interesting part is their (Belle and the Beast) eventual denial of a society which has denied them. Especially considering your thesis which focuses on socially-imposed roles, I think it would be interesting to rework this whole paper into a discussion of the way Belle and the Beast come to realize that they cannot fit into a society which does not grant them intellect or souls - so they then stop trying to fit in and embrace their "true animal nature."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job Andi; you're off to a solid start. I think in order to further develop the post, you could write more about the fact that the girl's "true identity" is a wild animal; that in "overcoming her insecurities and coming into selfhood," she literally becomes a tiger. How does this specifically affect her interaction with the (tame/domesticated/trained) society she eventually rejects?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andi,
    I really liked your close reading and how you made sure to detail the process and difficulty involved with the renewal the characters (the girl, in particular) go through. I really don't see any weak points in your paper as-is, but here are some suggestions regarding changing the scope or focus: I think perhaps trimming down the plot summary at the beginning might give you some more room to explore the meaning of the girl's "true" identity being that same of the Tiger's (her skin is licked away to reveal fur). I think setting up the Beast and the Girl in opposition to one another could yield interesting results--what does it mean that the one who covers up his true identity in order to fit in is that one who strips away the Girl's mask/cover?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andi, You have a strong beginning here and a lot of great material to work with. I think that your thesis - "By battling against her own fears of the past and ridding of conformed societal roles, the girl and The Beast are able to reciprocally become comfortable in their own skins" - is generally strong, but could be built upon and complicated a bit more. For example - was this "ridding of conformed societal roles" done willingly on the part of Belle and the Beast? Or was it forced upon them since, as Dane said in his post, they could fit into a society which does not grant them intellect or souls? Additionally, what exactly do you mean by "comfortable in their own skins"? You make it seem like the transformation is an entirely positive one, and although I'm not arguing that its not, I think that you should think about the fact that its not that they're exactly "comfortable in their own skins", its more that they reject a society that rejects them, and in doing so, transform. Overall you have a very strong piece and I don't think you have much work to do, so great job. Keep up the good work - this piece has the potential to be very very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One danger with tackling 'socially imposed roles,' however you want to phrase that, is how easy it is to say, "Well, it's OBVIOUS what those roles are so I won't bother explaining." However, you largely avoid that trap, by explaining what exactly you mean by a socially imposed role in each situation. It's more of an organizational thing, but I would make what roles/situations you're discussing more apparent earlier on in the response, I would just go through with a fine-toothed comb and make sure that you are being clear with what you mean by such roles/pressures, because it's hard to show their opposition if we don't know what they're in opposition to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, I think the actual argument of this paper is solid. I can see how the pieces that I originally read as plot summary are actually not simply summary, but additional ways of supporting your argument. You just need to make that a lot clearer. My initial read through felt like summary for a while then a great argument. My second read connected a lot of the things that I first thought was just a recap of the story. Also, when you say something along the lines of "Although it is not explicitly stated, I believe the girl begins to understand the beast's loneliness," I was totally taken out of what you were trying to do. Make sure you make bold, argumentative claims and back them up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great start. I wasn't entirely sure what you were arguing until the last bit of your piece, however. I think if you touch up your thesis a bit, and really get at the core of your argument a bit sooner, and maybe tease out the evidence you bring in, this could be a fantastic piece. Overall, I'm really impressed. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andi,

    I think you're off to a good start, and you make a good claim that's well-supported by lots of moments in the text. However, I think you're trying to incorporate way too many of these moments... cut down your quotes/summary by a lot - this will provide you with an opportunity to do more of a close read and examine each quote closely instead of just saying, "look, here's my quotes and they're relevant." I also think you have a lot of large themes included in your piece... your paragraphs don't seem specifically related to one another enough to merit a tight focus. I would try to tighten the focus and make sure your thesis translates clearly at times. This is a good start though, keep pushing your thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job! You have great evidence that flows nicely with your claim. I would cut down on the plot summary though, which is incorporated with some of your quotes. The connection between the two is great and touched on a lot of what we talked about in class. I would like to see a bigger so what factor here, it seems like you were getting deeper in the last few lines of your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andi,

    This is a great start, but I'd like to see you continue this argument further. I felt like you stayed a bit too much to the surface. Explore deeper! You have good stuff here, so don't be afraid to go a bit further with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you’re off to a good start with your thesis and the ideas you raise in this piece contribute well to the discussion we had in class on Tuesday. I particularly liked your discussion in the first paragraph of the girl experiencing a revival, which you also mention in your title, but I don’t see this carried much throughout the rest of your close reading. Perhaps that is something you can focus more on in your final draft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! I thought this was a very interesting close read! One suggestion I would have is to cut out some plot summary. Your first paragraph is especially plot-heavy and took away from your thesis. I think that your supports are very good and perhaps a bit more analysis would be helpful. I also really like your conclusion paragraph about the struggle between the characters true selves and societal constraints. Perhaps you could expand upon those ideas further. Otherwise, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! I thought your argument was intriguing and easy to follow. I think you could eliminate some plot summary and add some more analysis to expand the "so what" factor of your argument. Overall, you have a great start and digging deeper in to some of your ideas could help strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Overall, you appear to be on a great path.

    Possibly explore your ideas a little bit further by eliminating some fluff material. For example, the first paragraph has a noticeable amount of plot summary. Try replacing some of it with more critical approaches to your argument and your essay will be even better than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andy,

    There is a lot of summary going on in the beginning, but over all i found it to be very interesting. A lot of the quotes served as plot summary as well, perhaps dive into the meaning of those quotes rather than just summarizing them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like your post. You use plenty of evidence to support your claims. The only thing that I would suggest for your revision is to maybe exclude some of the summary from your paper. Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like what you have here, and I don't have really anything too negative to say about your close read. I would recommend to get rid of some of the plot synopsis and focus on your argument more, but you seem to be off to a pretty solid start.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed reading your paper! It was well thought out and your guide the reader nicely. The only suggestion I have is that perhaps you want to make your writing a but more concise? I feel that you explain a lot which can sometimes lose your reader. By making it more concise you will grab the reader and they'll really appreciate what you have to say. Overall, great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Start! As others have stated I think letting go of some of the plot summary and focusing on digging deeper into exploring implications can help strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this mostly because I think you captured what I saw as the most interesting part -- the idea that the beast transforms as well! I would say drop some of your summary and really dig deeper into the idea of transformation. Awesome start definitely love this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! One thing that I suggest is developing this quote: “His tongue ripped off skin after successive skin, all the skins of a life in the world, and left behind a nascent patina of shining hairs” (67). I think it is really central to your argument, since by ripping off her skin her true self seems to be exposed, but you kinda skim over it. Other than that, great start!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.