Monday, April 9, 2012

The Pure Reluctant Virgin with Honour v. The Marvelous Machine of the Most Delicately Balance Cords and Pulleys



Within Carter’s The Tiger’s Bride, there are many interesting dynamics to be drawn between the relationships of men and women. I believe Carter portrays the character The Beast, to represent the male portion of society that views women as possessions. I believe that Carter’s story of the woman from virgin to “machine” represents the idea that men who want to possess women place them in a catch twenty two situation- they desire the woman who is innocent, a virgin, and pure because they are a challenge, but expect them to “put out” at some point or they are no use to them. At the same time, they appreciate the woman that is the “marvelous machine” because she does what she is told when she is told and is easy to control.  However, once the pure virgin gives in to the males requests, she is no longer seen in an equal light as she was once before, and although she falls into the category of the reliable, faithful and secure “marvelous machine,” she is not desired as she was once before. This vicious cycle of the excitement some men in society get from tainting a virgin, yet wanting to eat their cake too, and come home to the reliable woman that can easily be manipulated/controlled is problematic and much to common in today’s society.

The first issue that needs to be raised is the idea of women as a possession in general within the short story. We are exposed to this possession before we even make it to the first sentence. The title The Tiger’s Bride is possession within itself. We never find out the young woman’s name in the story, we can only identify her as the bride of the tiger. Also, the young woman’s father who claims to love her “lost” his daughter by gambling her off in a game of cards with The Beast. Apparently, the mother had a similar fate as the daughter; she was “bartered for her dowry to such feckless sprig of the Russian nobility that she soon died of his gaming, his whoring, his agonizing repentances.” (52) Clearly the mother was “valued” in a similar manner as her daughter. While her father is playing cards, the young woman (daughter) admits “you must not think my father valued me less than a king’s ransom; but, at no more than a king’s ransom.” (54) The daughter realizes that her father may care for her, but at the end of the day she is still worth a price to him, and in the end he had to ante up his daughter to The Beast’s possession.

When the young woman is put up at The Beast’s large, yet somber, palace. Right from the beginning, it is made clear to the girl that if she would like to escape, she must first show her naked body (of which no other man has seen) to The Beast. Obviously, this trap is not appealing to the young girl, and as she contemplates suicide over being forced into a sexual act, the valet responds, “Oh, no, you will not. You are a woman of honour.” (59) This pure woman of honour is exciting and enticing in a place in which “nothing human lives,” and so, as a gesture to bribe and sway the young woman’s decision to offer herself sexually, The Beast begins offering her gifts as his patience and desire increase with the challenge of the virgin.(59) As the virgin maintains her honour, and denies all gifts from The Beast, the challenge continues. As The Beast grows impatient, on the horseback ride, he pushes the process along, and unclothes himself in front of the girl, in a last itch effort to encourage her to follow along. The young woman feels a distinct transition within herself. She states:

“I certainly meditated on the nature of my own state, how I had been bought and sold, passed from hand to hand. The clockwork girl who powdered my cheeks for me; had I not been allotted only the same kind of imitative life amongst men that the doll-maker had given her?” (63)

The girl begins to realize, that if she is to be with The Beast, there is no middle ground for her. She cannot remain the desired virgin forever. If she does not produce results by offering herself sexually, then the beast will lose interest with a prude. However, if she does offer herself to him, she will become “the most marvelous machine, the most delicately balanced system of chords and pulleys in the world,” she met earlier. (60) And the only reason The Beat enjoys such a “breed” of woman is because he can control the cords and pulleys whatever way he pleases. Either which way, the girl realizes her fate lies within the hands of this man.

After the young girl exposes her naked body to The Beast, Carter then adds “The tiger will never lie down with the lamb; he acknowledges no pact that is reciprocal. The lamb must learn to run with the tigers.” (64) Man will never settle or adjust to the woman, it is woman who must adjust to the wants needs and desires to a man. However with such a broad desires and spectrums of woman that The Beast desires, it seems as though the woman is doomed from the beginning.

27 comments:

  1. Alyce,
    Great work with your piece so far. I like that you highlight the internal struggle to remain a virgin or be with the Beast that our main character deals with. For me though, the piece kind of covered two different topics simultaneously. Your thesis suggests that this idea of control will be explained through the Beast or any man's point of view, but your title and supporting paragraphs talk about the struggle within the virgin's pov to make her decision. I think it would help strengthen your piece if you focus on one or the other to make your ideas and support more precise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job with this, but I feel that you are working with too much. Each character has a lot that can be talked about for a paper, and it would be best if you could focus just on one character. It seems that what you have written is focused on the tiger's bride and you can choose to adjust your thesis to that. If you focus on one character it will make your argument more clear and also strengthen it. Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyce,
    In your argument you try to tackle quite a bit: the "vicious cycle of the excitement some men in society get from tainting a virgin, yet wanting to eat their cake too" and men who want to "come home to the reliable woman that can easily be manipulated/controlled". I feel like this is too much to tackle in such a short piece and would suggest confining your focus to the virgin women component. Also, is cycle really the right word?
    One other thought, you state that "men who want to possess women place them in a catch twenty two situation- they desire the woman who is innocent, a virgin, and pure because they are a challenge, but expect them to 'put out'". Does this only apply to men who want to possess women?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like others have said, this piece simply covers too much. It is hard to follow your argument when your thesis and body paragraphs contradict themselves. You also mention a new idea in your conclusion, about how men essentially control a woman's fate and must adjust to the man's wants. I think you need to pick one idea and focus on that. My suggestion would be to focus on the struggle to remain a virgin. This seems to be what you are most interested in and would have a lot of textual evidence for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Essentially, I agree with everyone else. This paper has a lot going on, but your strongest part is about the conflicting notions about remaining a virgin or not. I also think it would be good to say you're tackling stereotypes, or the construction of gender roles, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really sure where you're going with this close reading. I think it's important that you review your claims because there seems to be a lot of complications with each of them. You say that she's an innocent and pure woman, but she offers the beast sex in order to ensure that he keeps interest? I think you need to slow down with each of your paragraphs and clarify your claims. Other than that, be watchful not to say things such as "I believe" or "we see that" because it weakens your argument. I think with some review your close reading can work through some really interesting things, they're just not very accessible yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like you don't really know what you want to focus on for this paper - so when you revise this, first you should decide what point you are trying to argue (and then make it extremely clear what that point is). I think there's something interesting in the conflict between the requirement for women to be chaste and the desire for women to submit sexually to "their men." While I don't think that's the kind of situation the Beast is presenting, I think you can still work with it. It seemed to me that Belle misunderstood the Beast's request and that she was the one who brought it into the realm of sexuality. Perhaps there is something interesting in the way that Belle (operating from the human side) imposes this sexual dichotomy on herself while the Beast (operating from the animal side) does not. What would this say about humanity?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alyce, you've got a few ideas that work pretty well with the story, but sort of like Nicole wrote, I'd be careful not to over-apply an idea to the text. I think in a lot of ways, the Beast does not match the archetypal societal man who cares only about sex with pure women. The end of the story seems, to me, to represent a mutual rejection of the roles society wishes the Beast and the woman to conform to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Glen Cocoa,
    I think you have a lot of promising leads for a fantastic close read. For me, the most compelling argument was in your conclusion: "Man will never settle or adjust to the woman, it is woman who must adjust to the wants needs and desires to a man". I think your analysis of the text in relation to the Tiger Bride being unnamed would suit that argument really well, in addition to the quote about lions and lambs that you already mention. Also, you could use the ending scene as a way to support this argument that women are constantly adapting to the patriarchal structure: even though the Tiger is purring and causing the house to crumble, it is still only through him that the Tiger Bride is able to reveal her "true" identity. This my secret.

    These are my deepest thoughts, protect them with your life.
    -Jessica Dawn Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Overall, I thought that you tried to cover too much in your close read, which produced a slightly generalized discussion of what were, in my opinion, extremely interesting topics. I would like it better if you focused in on a much more specific thesis and argued for it in detail. One aspect of your argument that I found really interesting was the one about women having to fit into the patriarchal structure of a male dominated society. Be careful with this, though, because in your close read you seem to clump the beast in with the rest of society when it is made very clear in the short story that the beast and society mutually reject one another. That does not, however, mean that the beast does not have his own patriarchal set of rules for Belle to follow - or even that, perhaps, even though the beast is rejected by society and rejects society himself, he is still not capable of operating outside of these confines.. I think that you can use a lot of the evidence that you already provide in your close reading to prove that. Overall, good start. You have a lot to work with here, so just narrow in a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bit of a nitpick, but I would remove the "I believe"s and just strike forth and make a bold claim. It's more argumentative, less easily dismissed when you're claiming that something is rather than that you think it is.

    As for the multitude of angles that you address in your response, I would push back on the notion that women are in an "equal light," and then fall from grace when they acquiesce to men's desires. If this is the case, how do you know that women are considered equal, seeing as how that's not a dynamic that you introduce in the beginning of the paragraph - you do the opposite, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alyce,

    I think you point to a lot of interesting moments in the text, and you definitely have good ideas behind them. To echo my peers, I do think you're covering too much, and should focus on the aspect/moments that specifically interest you the most. This will allow you to create a strong focused thesis and carry it throughout your paper, and go into deeper analysis with your quotes. Your writing style seems much too colloquial as well... I would definitely omit any first-person opinions and phrases such as "eat his cake too." Also, I think a lot of the sweeping claims you make about today's society should be accompanied with evidence if you want to use them strongly. Once you polish this up and hone in on one topic, I think you could have a really strong piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wholeheartedly agree with Logan here. Any time you say "I believe," you can cut it out and just state your case. As long as you do a good job with supporting it, it will work much better. It's clear that our class discussion will center on which part of this paper you want to pick out and develop, and I honestly think that I'd have to hear more of your thoughts on a couple of these things. However, if I had to pick out one thing right now I'd say this:
    "Man will never settle or adjust to the woman, it is woman who must adjust to the wants needs and desires to a man"
    The major connection for me is the whole thing we talked about with the lions not lying down with the lamb, but the lamb running with the lion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As nearly everyone else has stated, you have a lot going on here. Choosing to focus more on one thing will really help you to tease out some of the greater underlying issues presented in the piece. I think you have a very strong conclusion, and would like to see more of that analysis in the earlier paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alyce,

    As the rest of the class is saying, you really need to focus and refine your argument. The first paragraph itself is loaded with thoughts, ideas, and information. Focus this down to a more specific idea and your paper will focus itself as well. Also, avoid generalizations when writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the topic you have picked and I do see where your are going with it, but I feel like there is too much plot summary and not enough analysis. You need to go deeper into your argument. Also in the intro paragraph you talk about the woman being a "machine," I think you should explain this into more detail and also if this is a main point in your argument it needs to be brought up again through out your close reading. There is also some rewording that needs to be done, which will strengthen your overall argument and paper. Good start!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very interesting piece. I think the strength of your close reading is in the details you present. You do an excellent job supporting your claim and analyzing those supports. I also think that your paper is clear and well formatted. The only thing I would suggest would be to make your thesis clear and concise. I didn't know exactly what your argument was until I had read your whole paper, so I think that would really help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You present a number of interesting ideas in this piece, but like many others have mentioned, it would make your paper stronger if you find one central argument to focus your discussion on. If you do decide to focus on the desire of men to have a woman who is virginal and innocent I think you also have to consider what aspects of this story complicate this issue for the beast and the girl. At one point the girl seeks to shame the beast for what she believes he desires of her instead of only passively rejecting him by denying his gifts. This could possibly be something to consider the implications of if you decide to go further with your discussion of women’s innocence being something that’s desired.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tend to agree with the prior posts. The argument is not necessarily clear. In particular, I am thrown off by your final sentence. It is a bit word and long-winded. Possibly refining this area will help set your response up better for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with everyone that you're a little over ambitious with the amount of material you try to cover. However, I was intrigued by your first paragraph. I think if you stick to your thesis you could cover why this "vicious cycle" is "problematic and much to common in today’s society". I think you could use your arguments about virginity and male expectations to discuss themes we've covered in class about gender roles, what it means to be feminine, dehumanization (of women), etc. If you choose one topic and stick to it, I think you will have a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As others have said, you have many interesting ideas within your paper but focusing on one would make your argument stronger. You have great evidence and analysis behind your evidence, however, it is a little difficult to follow where you are going. You have a great start, it just needs a little tweaking so you are able to elaborate on one central, strong argument.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alyce,

    You had some really great ideas. Instead of stating "I believe" it would make your argument stronger if you cut that out. I am also struggling to understand what you mean my "machine", i think you should define that for the intro. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're off to a decent start here, but I have a few suggestions. It is a little broad, so you'll need to do some narrowing. Also, statements like "I believe" make your argument less convincing, so that's got to go. Keep pressing through!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good start but I think you need to clean up some stylistic issues. I would personally avoid using first person in your first paragraph because it takes away from your argument. Also, you should try to avoid using sayings like "wanting to eat their cake too" for it takes away from your professional writing. I felt like there was a lot of summary in your paper in which you may wish to revise in order to give way to more analysis. Overall, it is an interesting topic and I think you can do a lot with it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good start. I agree doing away with the first person will help the reliability of your argument. I also think the introduction is a bit too wordy. Finding which of the two topics or perspectives your would like to take will make it easier to tackle the work and allow you to dig deeper otherwise there will be too much to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alyce, good start and interesting angle here. I think what you want to do is to try and focus your argument a little bit more. You really try to cover a lot in here and it's well supported in your piece. I would suggest either looking solely at the relationship the woman has with her father and the idea of possession and value or stick to your idea of the sentiment of remaining a virgin because you've set yourself up to go far with either one of those ideas. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.