Throughout Octavia Butler’s Kindred, there are instances of both tension and compassion between white people and African Americans. These happen across time and space, whether it is in 1976 or 1815. By showing positive approaches to communication between these two separate races, Butler shows how easily friendship and equality could be achieved. On the other hand, Butler points out through tension that African Americans were still somewhat segregated in 1976 similarly to how they had been nearly 200 years earlier.
Two of the main characters in this story, Kevin and Dana, are an interracial married couple that lives in Los Angeles in 1976. Although the two are happily married, they met under poor circumstances. Dana, an African American woman, is the employee of a self-described “slave market” (52). At this labor agency, Dana works right along side low-functioning alcoholics, first-time workers, and “usually a poor crazy old street lady who talked to herself constantly” (52). This is truly the bottom tier of the labor market at the time, which is similar to the slave labor of the early 1800s. While employed at the “slave market”, Dana meets Kevin, and the two begin to date. Even though at this point slavery had been abolished for over 100 years, their new relationship was met with some animosity. Buz, a coworker of Dana comments that the two are making “chocolate and vanilla porn” (56), while another woman tells Dana that her and Kevin are “the weirdest-looking couple she had ever seen” (57). Even Kevin assumed that Dana’s college career had ended due to her flunking out (56). Society’s disapproval of their relationship shows how little had been achieved since the abolition of slavery.
However, Kindred features multiple instances of friendship and love between African Americans and white people. For example, Dana’s reason for time travel is so that she can help Rufus, a white boy. Even though Rufus is raised by a plantation owner, he is luckily not too negatively affected by his upbringing. As a young child he is friends with a free African American girl named Alice who he would later go on to marry, which is yet another instance of an interracial marriage. Additionally, Rufus is friends with an African American boy named Nigel who is one of Rufus’ father’s slaves (59). Rufus’ inability to have prejudices against African Americans was a rare occurrence at the time, but Butler uses it to show how simple it can be for people of all races to coexist happily.
Unfortunately, Rufus’ friendship with these people does not do them any good. Alice’s father, a slave owned by Rufus’ father, is taken from his house in the middle of the night and brutally assaulted by Klan members. Alice’s mother, a free African American woman, was also battered severely by the Klansmen (35-37). Later on, Rufus’ friend Nigel is potentially put in danger because he is sent to the main house to find Rufus’ father. By leaving Rufus alone, Nigel is breaking the rules. Even though Nigel is only going off to find help, his punishment would only be determined on “whether anybody’s made Daddy mad lately” (60). Even as a white male, Rufus is not able to save his friend Nigel or Alice’s parents from the wrath of his father.
The negative outlook on Kevin and Dana’s relationship in 1976 is a reflection of the actions of people like Rufus’ father many years earlier. By showing interracial friendship, marriages and compassion for one another, Butler believes that this negativity is something that could easily be overcome. After all, if a child is able to see passed the color barrier, adults should have no problem doing the same.
Interesting close reading. You do a good job finding supporting details for your claim. However, I think that you could use more analysis. Additionally, I found your last paragraph interesting. Is Butler really trying to claim that racism can be easily overcome? I think it would be interesting to go deeper into this.
ReplyDeleteYou have a great close read here, but I feel that you need to have a more focused thesis. I understand what you want to get across through your essay, but it took me until the second paragraph to realize this. I felt that you used the supporting evidence well, and that you have great organization.
ReplyDeleteI think you need to narrow your thesis a bit. It's a really broad statement. Maybe focus in on friendship because you bring that up a lot. I a also like the point you brought about the slave market, I think you could spend more time on that and develop an argument about it.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great topic to explore and I think you provide interesting sections of the book to analyze. To strengthen your argument, I think it would be useful to also analyze the violence in the novel. How do these acts of violence complicate the messages of interracial compassion shown in the book?
ReplyDeleteI agree that your thesis is too broad, and also that some of your claims are a bit specious. In particular, there are a couple complications with your claim that, "if a child is able to see passed the color barrier, adults should have no problem doing the same," because (1) when Rufus grows up, he isn't so friendly to people of other races, and (2) the fact that slavery is so easily accepted by the characters becomes very problematic. Racism and slavery are accepted incredibly easily, so I think you have to work harder at your argument if you want to prove that it's easy to overcome through friendship.
ReplyDeleteI think maybe to narrow your thesis a bit, you could explain what message is communicated by the fact that, on one hand, racism "is something that could easily be overcome," and on the other, it still exists in 1976 (/today). Does hand #2 make #1 false, or do these two ideas actually work together paradoxically? What does it take for racism to be overcome so easily, and why isn't it happening in 1976 (/today)?
ReplyDeleteGreat job! You have a clear argument and you include the "so what." I think you need more textual evidence to back up your argument though because this could easily be shot down by some other textual evidence (Rufus does not always treat Blacks fairly.) Possibly some dialogue between Rufus and some of the Black characters or evidence of Rufus' actions that supports your argument.
ReplyDeleteI think you need to address a couple things. One, segregation was rampant in the 1970s. Today, the United States is more segregated than it was during the civil rights movement. I think this speaks to your overall theme of progress in your writing. Have we as a country made progress on ground of race/ethnicity? Perhaps focus on why this system of segregation and racism is kept in place between the two time periods of the novel. You focus on some in the beginning, try and build off of those examples. Great start and best of luck.
ReplyDeleteI agree with some of the other comments about narrowing your thesis. Like Melissa, I think if you focus primarily on the "friendships" you can still (and probably would have to) touch on the not-so-friendly aspects of those relationships. That way you would have a more concise and sufficiently nuanced argument.
ReplyDeleteThere was only one part of your post that struck me as problematic. You say that Butler uses Rufus to show how it was "simple" for races to coexist "happily", however Rufus is a rapist and beats Dana. I think Rufus is a difficult character to use for your argument that both Whites and African Americans could coexist simply and happily. I think he also sort of refutes your thesis as well because of the tension he creates. I think for your revision, as others have also said, you should work on improving your thesis; that will help to make the rest of your paper easier to outline and to avoid confusions such as the one I have pointed out.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the layout - it was easy to read and clear what you were arguing, although it went in several different directions at times. Like others have said previously, I would narrow your thesis on one of the relationships or one element to analyze.
ReplyDeleteI think you point to really interesting moments in the text to support your arguments. I would suggest caution in generalizing things about the time period though, like when you say, "Rufus’ inability to have prejudices against African Americans was a rare occurrence at the time..." Instead, try to keep your arguments in terms of the text itself and you will be able to maintain a strong authority on your claims. Another way to establish authority on your arguments is to reword your allusion to the Klan members. Dana compares the two, but the men she sees are actually patrollers, not members of the klan (it doesn't exist yet). Finally, I think it might be too bold to suggest that the book reflects Butler's beliefs; you can state what the text suggests and infer from there, but you can't really state what Butler's intentions were, just what her text reflects.
ReplyDeleteThe first thing that stuck out to me is your line, "even Kevin assumed that Dana's college career had ended due to her flunking out" (56). I don't see how this fits with your thesis. Another thing is that I don't really see Rufus as seeing "past the color barrier" seeing how he later rapes Alice and wins her by removing her husband Isaac from the picture, not literally himself but basically it was his doing. He's showing ownership over her, buys her and many assume he will rape her again once she has healed. That is not the behavior of someone who doesn't see a differences in the races. But I'm assuming you hadn't gotten into that part of the book by time you read this, so take that with a grain of salt.
ReplyDeletewrote*
DeleteI liked your topic but can't help but think it would be more effective if you narrowed it down to focusing on one aspect of your argument. It seems like there is a lot going on that could be expanded upon but you don't get the chance to do so because you have so much ground to cover. You had good use of evidence and explaining your quotes, so be more picky and you'll have a strong paper.
ReplyDeleteYour thesis is a bit broad like others have pointed out but it is an interesting one at that. I think you provide textual evidence and now just need to expand on that. I think the last sentence of your introduction shouldn't be there, it throws you off. That sentence can just be placed at the beginning of the rebuttal paragraph.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a lot going on here, but I would like to problematize a few things in your third paragraph. First, I wouldn't quite say that there was necessarily "love" between Rufus and Dana, rather a mutual need for each other. Also, I don't think it's accurate to say that Rufus in unable to feel prejudices for African Americans; rather, I think he certainly feels them, but he just has a greater ability to overcome them and see beyond his upbringing. Finally, I question the notion that all the races live together happily. Even Kevin and Dana have their problems, whether it be their differing views on the child's slave trade game or the reactions of their families. I would like to see some more textual evidence to back up these claims. Other than that, it's a great start!
ReplyDeleteGood start yet I agree with what has been said before me. I found this hard to followed because of how much was going on. I understand when starting this assignment we think of all the things we could and want to say yet I think narrowing down your focus would strengthen your piece. One the topic has been narrowed I think it will be easier to find clear thesis and dig more into the implications and the SO WHAT.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with some of the other comments by saying that some of the points you are arguing and trying to support with evidence from the book appear contradictory to what Butler is trying to convey. I don’t agree that Rufus is unable to have prejudices against African-Americans because although during his early years he does not appear to have the same amount of hatred for his father’s slaves as his father, Rufus still believes that slaves and African-Americans in general are supposed to be inferior to him. Even Rufus’ apparent friendships with characters like Alice change as he grows older and eventually rapes her because he believes that he has the right to exert that power over her because she is a Black woman and is supposed to be submissive to him, whether she is a slave or a free woman. I also have trouble believing that it’s Butler’s goal to show “how simple it can be for people of all races to coexist happily”.
ReplyDeleteI'm not quite sure if friendship is attained "easily." Although where you mean to go throughout your paper, I fell as though the thesis is a bit flawed, and the "easily" part of your thesis does not really attain to the difficulties experienced throughout the novel.
ReplyDeleteYou're off to a great start and have a lot of stuff to work with in moving forward to a more "final" version of this paper. I personally think that you could create an entire close read about your argument that Dana's bottom-tier job is the equivalent of slave labor. Doing a close read involving her employment in 1976 and arguing that it is akin to the slavery system she experienced in 1815 seems really interesting and is a bit more concrete than your thesis as of right now.
ReplyDeleteI think you've done a great job close reading, but I think you may be taking on too much of the book. maybe focus on one relationship or person, and find more of an argument there. you're piece is a lot of summary, so maybe use more specifc quotes to highlight your key points.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a lot going on here and a lot of it insightful. However, I think you need to work harder to go further beyond summary and deeper into your own analysis. I also found some flaws in your argument (which I'm sure a lot of it had to do with you only completing the required portion of the reading) that should obviously be changed in retrospect, and that will alter your argument in several ways. You say that Rufus isn't affected much by his plantation upbringing, and yet we see later that it really did give him a negative sense of entitlement and cruelty. Also, you say that he marries Alice, and as far as I can tell by how much she absolutely hates him, I don't think this is the case. This is definitely new information to consider and work with instead. You also claim that Butler is commenting on race in your conclusion: remember that it's always risking to assume the author's intent. Honestly you're off to a good start, I'm interested to see where you take it once you consider new plot developments and push yourself further!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really interesting close reading with a couple very strong ideas. Your response was easy to follow and get through, but I felt as though there were two different arguments happening. One was about the characters overcoming adversity and being a happily married interracial couple while the other was discussing the compassion that sometimes occurs between the two races in the past. I think narrowing your focus to develop a thesis will give this paper a much better flow. Great title though and overall good work!
ReplyDeleteI think you have a really interesting close reading here, but there might be a few points to clear up as you revise your work. As a lot of comments have stated above, you might have to further defend some of your statements about racial relationships. Additionally, make sure that as you revise you close reading, you really dig deep into why each element is important -- make sure these examples don't read like plot summary.
ReplyDeleteI liked your article, but I don't think your thesis is really a thesis. I'm not sure what you're arguing here. I see how you're trying to compare instances of love and how the examples in the book show society that it's easier to overcome it, but what is that meant to do? I think maybe taking your second to last sentence and moving that to the top might enhance developing your argument, because I just don't think your thesis is pointing us into the direction you're leading us in your paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteI see your argument and point, but there are some generalizations you make that are not completely true. In the 1970s you say little has been achieved since the abolition of slavery. I don't think this is true. Yes there are still problems but a lot has been achieved. Dana is able to get a job and go to school. Also take note its easy for Rufus and children to look beyond color, but when he becomes like most children then this becomes complicated.
ReplyDeleteI think you can be way more specific here. You make a lot of claims that are bold and certainly arguable. I think those could be a good place to go and develop an argumentative thesis.
ReplyDelete