Monday, March 12, 2012

Background noise drowns out the real issues in Machinal

In Machinal, Treadwell’s use of choppy dialogue and long monologues help to create a troubled Young Woman. Since it is a play, the audible dialogue was important for shaping viewers’ perception of Young Woman. Through the style of the dialogue and not just what the actual words were, Treadwell was able to portray the way that Young Woman’s troubles were looked over due to the machine-like noise of the other characters’ lives.

In the first scene, a number of characters are introduced all at once, talking all at once. This is important because it shows how many people Young Woman interacts with daily. When she comes in late, they all question her about it. “Stenographer: Then why are you late?/ Young Woman: Why?/ Stenographer: Excuse!/ Adding Clerk: Excuse!/ Filing Clerk: Excuse./ Telephone Girl: Excuse it, please… Young Woman: I had to get out! (pg. 368). All of these people hear that she was experiencing some form of a panic attack coming into work, but none of them hear the actual distress that it is causing her. Instead they laugh about it (pg. 368). By having four characters in the very beginning of the play look past Young Woman’s problems, Treadwell creates the sense that despite all the listening ears in her life, no one actually hears Young Woman. By having all the “Sounds of Machines going… throughout the scene,” the idea of not hearing Young Woman is further proved (pg. 366).

The scene between Young Woman and Mother is another filled with background noise. There are “Outside Voices: characters heard, but not seen” (pg. 371). This already sets the stage for a confusing scene, foreshadowing the conversation to come. While debating about whether or not to accept a proposal from her boss, Young Woman discusses it with her mother: “Young Woman: All women get married, don’t they?/ Mother: Nonsense!” (pg. 372). This quote shows again that people do not hear Young Woman. Mother implies that not all women get married, but a few lines later says “are you crazy” when Young Woman declares she will not marry him. She pretends to be listening, but comes up with responses that seem scripted for such an occasion. She reacts to Young Woman’s comments as a stranger would. She repeats lines like “Nonsense!” or “You’re crazy!” a couple times in response to Young Woman. These are phrases that people resort to in every day conversation when a more in depth response is not expected or even needed. In this case, it shows that Mother is not reacting to the real issue—that Young Woman needs advice on how to make important decisions for her life.

Repetition, monologues, disjointed conversations, and a lot of background noise help to set up scenes meant to be ripe with confusion. In the very beginning, the first scene has four one-sided conversations all happening at once with background machines also making noise. These small details that Treadwell uses solidifies in readers’ minds that Young Woman is not really heard. People listen to what she has to say, but do not analyze it or make any effort to form thoughtful responses to her. Her seemingly small problems are lost in the noise of the machines.

26 comments:

  1. So Young Woman isn't heard: why is that significant? What does it matter that no one hears her? I think you need to dig deeper, but you have a good start. I hadn't thought much about the background noise in the play before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that you’re off to a good start with your close reading and you’ve provided numerous examples to support your argument, but there is no “so what?” factor. What does Treadwell intend to convey by allow for Young Woman’s voice to be so often silenced by the noise of machines? How does this speak to the idea of women being a marginalized group who often lack agency and power because their ideas and concerns are not considered which some may view as them being essentially voiceless?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very interesting topic for your close reading. You do a really good job of articulating your argument and then analyzing your details. However, I agree with Jazmen and Logan that you need to touch on the significance of the Young Woman not being heard and the outcomes of this predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, just going to echo those above me. This idea of Helen's voice being drowned out is hugely significant to the message of the play, and you provide good evidence showing that it happens, but what about what it causes? I think with your evidence, and a bit more from later on in the play, you could go on to argue that Helen's being ignored and forced under the "noise" of convention is the impetus for her murdering her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie,

    I really like your closed reading, but I agree with Logan. I think you need to explain why it matters/ is significant that she is ignored throughout the play. You gave a ton of great support of her being ignored but I think there should be more about why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a good close reading; the topic is very interesting. I think it might strengthen your argument to pick either a scene in the beginning and the scene where she kills her husband to analyze to show how this 'not being heard' doesn't change in that aspect of her life. Or contrast a scene where she isn't heard with one during which she is heard like the one where she spends the night with her lover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good close read, but agreeing with some of the other posts you are missing the "so what" factor. If you can incorporate why this argument is so important then it will strengthen your close read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with many before me, what's the importance? I think you might have touched on it in the introduction when you say, "Since it is a play, the audible dialogue was important for shaping viewers’ perception of Young Woman" but you don't discuss it through the paper. That could maybe be a starting point for the importance? How does the background noise affect the viewers' perception and what does that do for the reader? Or something along those lines. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea that the young woman's troubles go unheard because of the mechanical "background noise" is certainly central to the play (the title is Machinal, after all), so I think you've chosen a really good topic to write about. You have a good start, but at this stage your close reading is more demonstrative than insightful. In your revision process, try to focus on the "so what" that we're always talking about in class. Also, you mention the monologues in both your introduction and conclusion, but you don't actually talk about them. I think an inclusion of the significance of the monologues (why monologues? what do they do?) might help a little with the "so what."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post is very well written. You have clear examples, but I agree with everyone else about "why is this significant?" How is Young Woman affected by not being heard? Perhaps you could use this argument to expand further on young women as a whole; are all women treated this way and how does that affect them in society? You have a great post here and I think with a strong argument on significance will improve your revised paper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie,

    As other have said, establish the so what to your claim. What type of silence is she experiencing because of the "machine-like" noises. You seem to be on a great track, just push your ideas more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you made some good observations, but now you need to work towards hashing out an argument. Yes, the background noise drowns out her problems, but what is the significance of this? You mention that this causes confusion, but why is the confusion necessary to the story? I think a logical argument you could make is that her lack of acknowledgment and confusion lead to her violence. Overall, great start on your close reading, just focus on the implications for the observations you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do an excellent job showing that the young woman is not heard, and is drowned out, by the background noise of the play. But I was still left wondering at the end what that meant in the grander scheme of things? Why is it so significant that she is not truly heard? Is that the reason she marries, and ends up killing her husband? Is there a point in the play when someone does listen to her through the background noise that maybe changes her actions?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a really great close reading and it's clear what your thesis is and you strongly support your claims without summarizing. Great job! Only thing that might be useful would be detailing the real issues that the Young Women has and what the affects are of the background noise sounding out her frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right on the cusp of your argument but quickly turn away once there. The sound within the play is an extremely poignant topic to focus on within Treadwell's play, I'd like to see why it shapes the character and her surroundings more. How does the speech of the people that surround her become more and more animatronic as the play moves forward?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some great arguments and evidence, but like a few other have said, you could look into the causes of the young woman being unheard for a stronger paper. Other than that you're off to a really great start!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marie,

    I like where you're going with this, the noises in Machinal is certainly significant. It's also significant that Helen is silenced. However, I think you need to take your reading a step further and argue WHY it's happening instead of just that it occurs. You claim that Helen is silenced because people don't really listen to her or take the time to respond: is that really the case? Or do they actually hear her, and purposely try to silence her? If so, why? I think you need to consider all aspects to this argument and delve a little deeper into it. Overall, this is a really good start though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is a great close reading! Your thesis is clear and interwoven through the piece as you go. I think adding the implications of Young Woman going unheard; utilizing the fact that she remains nameless and the murder that following and possibly tying in how her lack of apparent voice lead to her actions can create for a stronger piece. Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like where you are going with this- the artistic dialogue a play is able to take is definitely notable. However, as many have mentioned, so what? What is the big picture. If you make it relatable to all, your argument will be more relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great! I really really like this! I do agree with others that having a so what? paragraph could really strengthen your paper. What is the point of us not really being able to hear the young woman? does her age/gender/social class affect the other characters unwillingness to listen?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marie,
    I think you have chosen a really interesting topic to develop. There is no doubt that the background noises add a lot of character to this play, but I am wondering if you could dig a little deeper into what that signifies as a reflection of what is going on. Does this create tension/ease between conversations? Does it complicated/cloud Young Woman's decisions? How? I also think your conclusion has some good points that could help shape your thesis! Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marie,

    I thought you used some really good examples in your close reading from the text which strengthens your argument; however, I felt like the close reading was missing the so what factor -- as stated by a lot of our classmates. Perhaps try to dig a little deeper into why this is important and what implications it holds for the overall piece?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like this piece! I think it's an interesting perspective on not only the structural aspect of the dialogue and how it fits into the characterization of the people living inside of this structure. I have to agree though with most people, why is this significant? How does this tie into the greater picture of young womens' voices not being heard. Specifically, how does it affect Young Woman in the long role? She's not being heard -- but what does that do to her? What does it to to women in general?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maybe exploring how Young Woman is overlooked and overshadowed by a modern working environment would help you arrive at a "So What"? Is she, as a "young woman" more at risk for being ignored within a working/public sphere? Why is her mother ignoring her as well also important within this context/line of argument.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You offer really great points. What impact does this have to the play and the greater themes like gender or her being the other.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Like most drafts that we discuss on this blog, I think it needs to be more argumentative. The focus itself is interesting and there's so much you can do with it. I think a connection to society and the treatment of women in general could strengthen this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.