Monday, March 26, 2012

Performing for Fate

 Through Carr’s array of odd characters and hyperbolized occurrences, she manages to draw upon the idea that gender is not natural and innate, but rather, that it is learned. By displaying her characters actively engaging in the performance of gender, and even the gender of the opposite sex, Carr examines the role gender scripts play within the characters’ relationships with one another and the specific impact this has on how women and femininity are regarded throughout the play and how their fate is so inextricably tied to their gender. In doing so, Carr also satirically questions the role that gender scripts play in society today.
Act one opens the play and not only introduces the main characters, but also the idea which is perpetuated throughout the play and also within society today that a woman’s worth is directly equated with her body. Bender, the fifty-something year old mother of an innumerable amount of children, spends the majority of her time sitting in a bathtub, birthing children in what appears to be frequent time intervals. As a woman, Bender has learned that her fertility is something to hold in high regard. The possibility of being barren is so frightful in this book that it something the women throw around as an insult at each other:

Binder I had a dream your uterus fell out.
Bender I dreamt your ovaries exploded!
Binder At least I have ovaries and eggs, lots of eggs, much more than you because I’m young. I’m in my prime.
Bender I’ve had my share of eggs… (Carr, 10-11).

This flinging of insults reveals that the women feel their worth lies in their ability to reproduce. The play goes on to reveal that a woman’s worth is also directly equated with her body based on how pleasing her body image is to the male gaze. “(Baxter) She’s a 38B, ok!/ (Bone) Pink Sock’s a 32A./ (Baxter) We all have our limitations” (Carr, 25). During Baxter and Bone’s dialogue Baxter considers “Pink Sock’s” 32S bra size to be small which therefore renders it a limiting factor for her. Instead of analyzing intelligence or creativity as measures of the worth of women, Baxter and Bones compare the bra sizes of women as measurements of their worth. This relates to today’s society based on the way men are often socialized to only measure women’s self worth in relation to their bodies.
                As the play progresses the male characters Baxter and Bones literally act out scripts of what can be assumed to be a “typical” heterosexual couple, but the female role is always performed in a submissive and passive manner. If and when that role is not performed correctly the man playing that role would be corrected by his partner:
               
                Baxter I love your dress.
                Bone (back in female role) Do you?
                Baxter (exploding) It’s not ‘Do you’! It’s ‘I wear it for you’! I love your dress!
                Bones I wear it for you.
                Baxter (pleased) Do you?
                Bones Yes.
                Baxter Red’s your color.
                Bone  Red’s my color.
                Baxter And sometimes rust.
                Bones And sometimes rust
Baxter I bought you a present (Carr, 41).

In this scene, which mirrors an actual societal gender script, Baxter explodes at Bones for not performing his role as a woman correctly when Bones fails to be as passive and submissive as Baxter expects for him to be. Baxter expected Bones to passively and humbly accept his compliment, but instead Bones responded by saying, “Do you?”. Baxter’s explosion to Bones’ reply implies that it should not be in the gendered behavior of women to question men or to ever assert themselves. This performance also reveals that women will be rewarded for their adherence to gender scripts involving the gendered expectations of them to be coy and passive. This becomes relevant after Baxter explodes on Bones and Bones therefore corrects his female performance by becoming completely submissive to Baxter by agreeing with everything Baxter says about him, and in turn, being rewarded for doing so with a “present”.
Overall, there is an idea conveyed throughout the play which posits that women’s fates are inextricably linked to their gender. When Bender gives birth to her children she claims that they are all boys and assigns them not only names, but titles such as the pope, the president, and the doctor. However, when Baxter and Bones only want to birth baby girls they state that they, “(Bones) Hope they won’t grow up masculine” (Carr, 98), and plan to teach the girls to flutter their eyelids, apply lipstick, and “(Baxter) How to say no, when she means yes/(Bones) And yes when she means no” (Carr, 69). This shows that, within the play, as soon as children are born and their gender is determined their fates are predestined as their parents plan to raise them to meet social expectations and adhere to gender scripts. This will lead to favorable outcomes for boys whose gender is made synonymous with success and power within the play, but lead to less promising outcomes for girls as they are discouraged from being masculine and prompted instead to be passive, submissive, and coy. Although social expectations and gender scripts are taught from the moment a baby is born and swaddled in either a pink or blue blanket, individuals can choose to allow their gender to be a complete determinant of their fate, or decide to rebel against such scripts and expectations in order to determine their own destiny. 

28 comments:

  1. You have a really great close reading here; your thesis is clear and well supported and you delve into the implications while still tying this to Carr's play. Well done! I might suggest addding a paragraph for answering the so what question for society today, or what Carr's purpose was in conveying gender stereotypes in this fashion. But other than that, I thought it was extremely well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great close reading! You have a strong thesis and a definite gesture towards a "so what". The only suggestion that I would have is referencing the "so what" in your conclusion in the same way that you do in the intro - just make the connection a little stronger. Other than that.. really, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a strong argument and great support in this paper. I think it would be interesting to read your thoughts about what it means that Bender and Binder hold themselves to a fertility standard, while Baxter and Bone seem more focused on the submissive aspect of the scripted gender role. Does this say anything towards how gender roles are perceived by different genders (i.e., men think femininity=being submissive and an attractive parrot, whereas women connect their womanhood with fertility?)--i think this could factor into a possible"so what" statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazmen,
    Great work! Your close reading has a clear focus and thesis dealing with per-determined gender "fates" the characters give their children from birth. Your evidence supported all your claims well and the piece was easy to follow. My only suggestion would be to possibly highlight a little more explicitly the differences in gender ideals between the men and women of the play. Overall, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazmen, this is great. I love the claim and the support really drives it home. Great analysis of the dialogue. I'm really not sure what to say for criticism. This fills a lot of holes that discussion left on Tuesday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great close reading. Well organized and I could tell you spent time on putting it together! The only thing I would tweak a bit would probably be your last point of the gender of the children. The first two points were very focused, and in the last piece it seemed as though you had already written a lot and loosened up your format a bit. Other than that, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Jazmen! This was an excellent close reading with a very clear focus and argument. I really liked your discussion of the gender scripts and performing gender. I thought that the excerpts from the play did a great job of supporting your argument. I also really liked your last paragraph where you discuss the differences in expectations between the genders. Perhaps expand upon that and touch on it as a main part of your paper not just in the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like what you're doing in this close reading. You support your argument of Carr questioning gender roles, but I'm not sure that you fully answer the "So what?" question. If you dive a little deeper into why you're argument is important, I think it will be a lot stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a great thesis and your paper is very well written! The only thing I suggest is maybe moving the part about how the children's gender is decided (in the conclusion) to the beginning to help introduce your topic better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your introduction. I think you should describe the gender types that Bender and Binder are going against or for rather than just presenting what they are. Over all, I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I was just the smallest bit thrown off by your thesis's talking about gender roles a bit more generally, and then your body paragraphs being specifically about the female gender. So, maybe just clarify the intro paragraph to be specifically about female gender roles, rather than general gender roles.

    Also, re: your last sentence. Is this something you mean to argue in the paper, or just claim as a sort of a "don't worry, in real life things are more free and better"? If it's the former, I didn't see the evidence to support it. If the latter, I don't think it's necessary to include.

    Otherwise, I do think the content you have is a great support for your argument about female gender scripts. In other words, if your post was a sandwich, then I'd keep the meat and maybe just toast the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great preliminary work, but I think it's a little too scattered right now. The most interesting portion of your paper is the section about corrections made during the performance of the gender scripts - I think you should re-work your thesis to focus on this concept. Then you could work with a few different moments of gender role correction (made by both the men and the women) and have a much stronger, more cohesive paper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Dane, I really liked your section on the corrections within the performance. It's important to note that Baxter isn't correcting Bone based on what he wanted the girl to say but rather what the girl actually did say, which I think strengthens your argument about submission. I was a bit confused about your argument that gender is scripted which suggests its a role we play rather than a role we are forced into; so, saying that children are born into their role seems to contradict that. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you meant, but that was how I read the last section of your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your ideas and your evidence are great, but the primary problem that you're having here is in your sentence structure and general organization of your writing. For instance:

    "By displaying her characters actively engaging in the performance of gender, and even the gender of the opposite sex, Carr examines the role gender scripts play within the characters’ relationships with one another and the specific impact this has on how women and femininity are regarded throughout the play and how their fate is so inextricably tied to their gender."

    ...is just one big, winding sentence. You have a good, strong thesis, but I think there are moments where your argument gets lost in convoluted sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you have a very effective start and focus! you've done a great job with the quotes you have presented. they are very thoroughly analyzed and explained. however i think your argument is slightly weakened by condensing the quotes into two paragraphs. i think i would try to separate your ideas a bit more. I do agree with logan that some of your sentences might need some breaking down. you have great voice and word choice, but its sometimes difficult to catch your meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a really well written close read so far. The idea that gender, specifically female gender, determines the characters fate in the play is interesting. The one thing I suggest changing is the intro paragraph. It seems that you are really invested in the female gender and the implications of the expectations associated with it. You should mention this immediately in your intro and be specific. Also, adding more about the implications of this play on society today or when it was published would also be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, I like the topic of this essay.

    A couple of suggestions:

    Your second to last sentence in your introduction is wordy. If you broke this one sentence into two sentence your idea will be formulated better, making it easier for the reader to understand the totality of your statement. Second, elaborate more on what part of society you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job. You have great analysis. Only suggestion is that you condense your thesis. You say a lot about what you want to argue and it seems to go in different directions. As I read on though I get what you are trying to prove.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i think you do a great job of outlining gender roles in this play. I think if you wanted to make this stronger, you could go into a little bit more detail on the idea of the men getting pregnant, what it means, and why it is significant that the men want only girls, and the women want only boys. To further the gender role idea, if it is the men wanting girls, and they plan to name them after something significant to them, how does that set up those girls for their future in the parameters of gender that the play outlines? That can also be switched for the women naming their male children as either a profession or a generic, specific name.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this is a sold piece, so great work! You have a clear line of thought. I just think there's even more you could discuss. For instance, you're right that the women certainly value being fertile, but what do you make of the treatment of their babies? And the naming processes being different for the males and females?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you have a great close read with a clear focus and interesting points. My only suggestion would be to work on some of your sentences that are a little wordy or difficult to understand. Otherwise, great work! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this is a great piece! Well constructed and presents an apparent glimpse at the so what. The last sentence does stray from the argument so either omitting it or finding a place to make stronger connections would help make this piece even stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really appreciated your ideas in this post. However, I thought you could have improved your conclusion paragraph. It was a bit lengthy, and I think it could have been split into two separate paragraphs instead of one big one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with everyone, this was well thought out and the execution matches the planning. I would agree that a more refined thesis would allow you to have some breathing room and tune the rest of the paragraphs. But it is still very poignant regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a very well-written piece, and you're certainly on your way to a wonderful argument. You were very clear in your writing and organization, and your use of textual evidence is very well incorporated and analyzed. I think that claims such as "within society today a woman’s worth is directly equated with her body" may be a little risky to use (not that I disagree entirely, but there are certainly strong counter-arguments to this that make blanket statements dangerous, especially without outside evidence to back your claim). I think you've done a great job arguing how woman are portrayed negatively in the play, but you should go deeper into how Bone and Baxter contribute/complicate this. They seem to really want to take on the role of a woman--as well as wanting the baby to be a woman--in several parts. What does this say about your argument as a whole? Why would the men want this negative gender identity?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job! It definitely shows that you put a lot of effort in. You have a solid introduction and you support it well! I think you have a good focus even with your extensive paragraphs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is really good. What a well written and thought out piece. Well done. I would have to agree that you may want to specify the society roles, and maybe even give examples of where these roles dominate, but wow, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice work Jazmen! Your essay was extremely well-written and flowed easily through all of your claims. Like others have stated, I would maybe fine tune your thesis and break it up into a few more sentences since it is pretty jam-packed. Otherwise, I really enjoyed reading your essay.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.