Monday, March 19, 2012

The Birthmark of Race

Ralph Ellison names his short story “The Birthmark,” and consequently, through this highlighting of the character Willie’s birthmark, he points to a broader and more symbolic concept about the permanent significance of racial inequality.

Initially when Matt and Clara see the body, Willie’s birthmark becomes the only characteristic that they expect will conclusively identify the body as their brother’s, and thus certainly attach them to the tragic fate of this killed man. When Matt first sees the man’s face, he is still unsure whether the man is his brother: “Goddam, was this Willie? […] It can’t be Willie, he told himself. The flesh was hacked and pounded as though it had been beaten with hammers. […] Is it Willie?” (column 2). The damage done to this man’s face is so severe that Matt and Clara cannot even tell if he is the man they’ve presumably known their entire lives. They therefore turn to the birthmark as their means of identifying the man and determining whether this moment will be one of sorrow or relief.

Even when Matt looks for the birthmark, though, Clara’s and his worry should remain unresolved. Matt notices that “The flesh was bruised and torn. [The birthmark] was just below his navel, he thought. Then he gave a start: where it should have been was only a bloody mound of torn flesh and hair” (3). The narrator explicitly says that Matt saw only flesh and hair, and not the birthmark. Whether the birthmark was covered or absent is not made clear, and so the identity of this man is still uncertain. However, Matt and Clara are both completely overwhelmed by the realization that this man was not in a car accident, but instead brutally murdered. The narrator says, “Matt went weak. He felt as though he had been castrated himself. He thought he would fall when Clara stepped beside him,” and Clara screams, “These here white folks come and told us Willie was hit by a car, but didn’t no car do that to him. They lynched Willie, Matt. They done lynched our brother…” (3). Again, there is no actual confirmation that this man is definitely their brother Willie, but because they are so shocked by the brutal murder inflicted upon this man, they are thrust into an intensely sorrowful attachment to him. In this way, the man’s identity—and Matt and Clara’s consequent connection to him—is not determined by the presence or absence of the birthmark, but by him being a pitiable human who was victimized because of his race.

His race serves, then, as another sort of birthmark, in that the skin color with which he is born becomes a lasting differential between him and white individuals, and especially his white persecutors and murderers. This man received the same—and an even worse—sort of racist treatment that Matt and Clara receive from the police officer, who says, “Goddammit, I said a car hit him! […] We don’t have no lynchings in this state no more! […] “And you better remember that, nigger […] ‘Cause a car might hit you. Understand what I mean?” (4). Because of the “birthmark” that is their race, Matt, Clara, and the man have identities placed upon them by this police officer and others that suggest the three are inferior persons whose rights can be violated, and whose lives can be taken without any repercussions for the murderers. This incredible prejudice, unchecked, is as permanent as Matt, Clara, and the man’s skin color.

29 comments:

  1. I think you conclusion is actually where the main purpose of your piece lies. I think the implications of how the two white men act towards Matt and Clara along with the color of their skin and the connotations of a birthmark are interesting. Your second paragraph seems to rest upon plot summary quite a bit but there is good evidence within that you should maintain while continuing to flesh out your thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,
    This is a great piece! I really enjoy and follow your idea about how all three characters actually share in this "birthmark" of prejudice. I agree with Noah though that the meat of your argument falls in the last two paragraphs. The ideas you express there are perfect and you should mention them earlier with more focus. I also think your last line about how this prejudice is as permanent as their skin color could be interesting to incorporate into a thesis. Overall, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting way of interpreting the short story and the birthmark. I understand your argument and it really comes together in your last paragraph. I think though that while the identity of the man is not confirmed, there are a lot of hints that suggest it is Willie. The birthmark is not seen because where it was on his skin is torn apart. Also the white men seek Clara and Matt because they know who they murdered and they tell them it was Willie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,
    I felt like you got to the idea of race as a birthmark a little late in your piece, but I really like where you seem to be going with it. I was particularly interested in the way you addressed the "uncertain identity" aspect in the second paragraph. I just think the racial elements you talk about in the third paragraph could be brought in sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great argument at hand, but I feel that your last paragraph is where the argument truly begins. If you could use this last paragraph to focus your argument, it would make this piece very strong. Also let us know why this is so important, the "so what" factor should come into play at some point during your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a really interesting and fresh way to read the story. I like all of your claims, and agree that the last paragraph is what's working really here. You are clearly capable of making a bold claim and supporting it, so I would encourage you to do that. Open the paper with an ambitious statement about the significance of the birthmark and follow it up with your support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you do a wonderful job of articulating your argument. The idea that skin color is a birthmark of sorts is very interesting. I think that your last paragraph does a really good job of supporting your argument. Perhaps you should delve deeper into these ideas and incorporate them into the body of your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the direction you end your paper. The prejudice you speak of is highly influential. Furthermore, the birthmark you speak of-- their skin color-- is intriguing. Without a doubt individuals without noticeably "white" skin or characteristics are at a disadvantage. You sum this up nicely. Possibly incorporate more of that aspect into your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rob, I loved this close read! I agree with the others that your main point lies in your last paragraph, but I think you do need to keep your earlier stuff to help introduce your line of thinking (maybe combine your first two body paragraphs into one?).
    I also find it interesting the Willie's birthmark is located where it is: near the point of his castration, which is in essence his "seed". That sounded really strange, but i just think it's interesting that the mark of his birth is mangled by torn flesh and hair, and that the promise of his future children has literally been cut away from his body. Maybe you could work that into a paragraph that goes into more detail about how race serves as its own kind of birthmark?
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this close read because your argument is very clear throughout your paper. I know there needs to be a little bit of set-up, but maybe try to slim down the report of the story in the second paragraph to dive deeper into your analysis in the third and fourth paragraphs. I think your argument really hits home in your final paragraph. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the other comments about the real meat of this paper coming in at the end. I think you need to re-organize your thoughts and dig deeper into what you're developing at the end of this paper. If the prejudice of white society is as permanent as a black person's skin color, then can we say white people are born with a sort of birthmark, too? If we do, is it all white people, or just some, who are born with it? There are two white characters in this story - are they different or the same?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you will be able to improve your paper if you do less summary in the beginning and move the conclusion up and give a more in depth discussion about the importance of race to this story. Also, explaining the connection between race and lynching will probably strengthen your discussion of the moment when they look for his birthmark. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to really read into a short piece that is hard to tackle! As many others have mentioned, there is much summary in the beginning, and it is in your last paragraph where your focus really connects with your thesis. I'd recommend focusing more quotes on the actual race rather than summary to really bring your point of "the birthmark" as a race through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of skin color serving as a "birthmark" in the short story. The argument is clear, however, like others have said, comes in a little late in the close read. I suggest mentioning these idea initially and then delving into them as you have. Also, adding more about the two white characters and their differences would be interesting as well. Over all though, you have some good ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have wonderful ideas and your writing is very clear and easy to follow. To echo the other commenters, you do get to the meat of your argument quite late. Your thesis is not entirely clear at the beginning, and the first sections of your work seems like quite a bit of summary. I'm not sure I have anything to contribute that the other students haven't already said, except I think you could spend more time on your last paragraph and flesh out a lot more of the details there. Other than that, this is a great piece and I think once you do some reorganizing and elaborating it will be very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rob,

    I really like the connection that you've made with the text here, and I think you've a solid argument. However, I think you could use less summary and a little more analysis in this paper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like many others, I agree that talking about ones race as a form of a birthmark is interesting. a birthmark is an identifying characteristic, so i feel like you could more explicitly state/analyze the metaphor of how race is persistent in this story, and how race defines characters and their roles in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rob, this is excellent work in my opinion! Your conclusion is very strong, but I think there was much more plot summary before. I'd like to see you start this piece off running, and drive us into your argument sooner. That'll also allow you to further explore your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the strengths of your argument do not come out until the end. In fact before then, I feel like you are arguing nothing. I feel like you may want to make the parallels clear from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You start with a strong opening to your close reading by indicating how Ellison is using the birthmark to be a symbolic representation of racial inequality and the permanence that has. However, you do not go into depth discussing this profound symbolism until your final paragraph, which seems to carry the weight of your argument. You have a great argument here, but I think you should discuss it more throughout your entire piece, especially by doing more analysis of supporting contextual evidence in your third paragraph and less plot summary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it was a great idea in discussing the title and the significance behind it! It is definitely a great start but I think you could get into your argument a little sooner. I feel the strength of your paper comes towards the end so try working on maintaining that strength throughout. Overall, great writing. It was very clear and concise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with previous comments that your thesis is actually at the end of your close reading. If you make that your first paragraph, then bring it your supporting evidence, it will become easier for you to then answer the "so what?" question.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you have a really great close reading. I agree that your argument is strongest in your last two paragraphs. I think it might be interesting to see you deal with the way in which the body is covered at the beginning with comics/newspapers. Does this hiding of the racial body underneath add anything to your argument? I'm not sure myself, but just an idea

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think your close reading follows a really fluid logic and I can follow your thoughts very well. I only wish the introduction offered a little more so that I knew what to expect from each of your claims. I think your conclusion is really insightful and I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have a lot of good stuff in your close read to work with for revision. Most of your argument and analysis is in the last half of the paper, so I think it would make your argument stronger if you worked in your analysis of quotes throughout the paper. How it is right now just just appears at first like a lot of summary that doesn't seem to serve a purpose until we read the last paragraph. Also, I question this idea of a permanent significance of the birthmark since the birthmark is missing from his flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think it's great to note the title as being a societal mark imposed on the black culture. I think the tile definitely implies that all blacks of the time are born with a mark being, their color that makes them a target. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Like others have stated, I think your argument truly lies within the last paragraph. Perhaps you could take the essence of it and figure out a way to distribute it throughout your piece. You had a good amount of textual support, so good job with that. You're off to a great start, just find your focus a bit sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel like there is a little bit too much summary here and although you have a good start and a lot to work with, I would suggest some slight revision to give it more focus. I am interested in the implications of a "birthmark". Delve deeper into this comparison and push it to a "so what"..as in, what could this comparison say about race relations in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really enjoyed your piece a lot. I think your introduction paragraph is too short though. I feel like I was forced right into your argument and therefore it made me skeptical of where your thesis was. I would put some of the rich conclusionary stuff you have in here and put it at the top to introduce your argument. Also, what out for summary. Do more analysis

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.