The Real Danger: Ideals of The Antebellum South
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler presents a modern perspective of the antebellum south. The southern, white, male character, Rufus, represents the ideals of his time. Unlike other slave narratives Kindred presents this white, male perspective, and by doing so, it asks the readers to understand more than the way Rufus is, but why he is that way.
By saying nigger, owning slaves, and using beatings to force submission, Rufus becomes representative of the norm of his time. When Rufus first interacts with Dana, he relays a conversation he had with his mother, using the word nigger. Dana asks him, "Your mother always call black people niggers, Rufe?" (25) He responds, "Sure, except when she has company. Why not?" (25). Rufus does not see the problematic nature of the condescending word nigger. He is confused why Dana is even asking that question. His response of "[w]hy not" says much of the ignorance of the word. It implies that Rufus thinks nigger is an acceptable word. Since Rufus's mother uses it casually too, as long as company does not hear perhaps the word is acceptable elsewhere. Later in his life, Rufus exhibits other common practices of white males in the south. Once his father dies, he takes over slave ownership. Rufus proves almost immediately that he regards the life of his slaves no higher than his father did. When Dana asks him why he sold the slaves, he responds, "Daddy left debts Dana" (226). Though he does not seem to want to sell the slaves, he still sees them as a way to pay of his debt. They are property to him. Since they are his property, Rufus has to make sure his slaves stay in line. To do this, he does what any slave own would do: he beats them. Rufus goes so far as to be Dana, a black person that he might respect as an equal. When Rufus blames Dana for his father death, he sends her into the fields, ensuring she will get punished by whipping (213). Rufus does not know of another way to deal with Dana, so he uses the way he has learned. Rufus has been raised to represent the southern, white, male norm of his time.
Though Rufus acts as a typical slave owner, the book paints him as somewhat compassionate. At some moments, Rufus does seem to view blacks equal to him. He falls in love with Alice. When she chooses to run away with her husband, he says to Dana "I begged her not to go with him" (124). He goes on to say, "If I lived in your time, I would have married her" (123). Rufus has real feelings for Alice. Though she is black, he has fallen in love with her just as he would a white woman. In some ways, he even resents that they cannot be together like Kevin and Dana. He would have loved to marry her. Yet, Rufus still lives by the antebellum time's rules, and since she will not willingly be with him, he takes her, and he rapes her. The desperation of Rufus's love is almost pitiable. He may be right, if he did live in a different time, he may have been able to marry Alice, maybe she would have wanted him, but since he does not, he has been taught that it was okay to rape her. The relationship with Dana is another spot where the book may make the reader feel compassion toward Rufus. At one point, Dana figures out Rufus did not send her letters to Kevin (179). This seems a really awful thing to do, but his excuse is, "I wanted to keep you here" (179). Rufus thinks it is acceptable to do this to Dana, because he has been taught that it is. He does not do it out of malicious intent; rather he wants Dana's company. Rufus comes off as a compassion man, made sour by circumstance of time.
Rufus is a circumstance of the ideals of the time, which leads to the question, is it the violence and slavery of the antebellum period that is most dangerous, or the ideals behind it? Dana says, "He's all grown up now, and part of the system" (223). Despite his compassion, he is still a part of the system. Rufus could be the best person, but his ideals are aligned with the antebellum mindset. So, Rufus is not the dangerous part of this period, the ideas behind this period are dangerous. Dana says to Kevin, "The ease. Us, the children . . .I never realized how easily people could be trained to accept slavery" (101). Yes, condescending words and violence are tools to push people into it, but having ideals that makes slavery acceptable, is what makes people willing to use the tools. Kindred pushes to make this distinction.
Great job! I thought this was a very well articulated argument and very well thought out. You do a great job analyzing your supporting details. I especially enjoy your last paragraph and think you could go deeper into this idea that the ideals are more dangerous.
ReplyDeleteI thought you chose an interesting topic to focus on and you did a great job using the text to support your argument. A couple of things to note are just that I do not feel that you have a sufficient thesis in your beginning paragraph and also the organization of the essay is a little scattered. When you are revising this, focus on making every point you want to make clear and that it follows your thesis. You have a great argument and great supporting evidence.
ReplyDeleteI liked your topic since I think Rufus is a very captivating character in the novel. For your section on Rufus' compassion though, I think you will need to delve deeper into your evidence. It's hard to see someone who rapes a woman who does not love him as compassionate; just as it's hard to see someone who purposefully keeps Dana's letters from Kevin as compassionate. Possibly compassion isn't the right word choice for this section, is there a different word you could use to describe this?
ReplyDeleteI agree with the other folk, you have a good start but need to go further with your evidence and tighten up your thesis.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a really good start, but you don't really get into the core of your argument until the very end. So try to establish that in the beginning and work it through the paper. For example the first sentence of your conclusion asks, "is it the violence and slavery of the antebellum period that is most dangerous, or the ideals behind it?" which is very interesting and can be the "so what" of your paper. Try to include this in all your analysis and evidence earlier.
ReplyDeleteYour last paragraph is pretty interesting. I think you could clear up a bit of what you're trying to say, and then use this last paragraph as the actual focus of your paper. I don't think Rufus is absolved from the evil of his racist words and actions because he lived in a time with a racist ideology. People are the creators and perpetuators of ideals, so a guy like Rufus does have the ability to accept or reject the ideas that are being communicated to him. That's what abolitionists did (reject them, that is).
ReplyDeleteI think you should focus more on the ideals of slavery that keep the system in place. You talk about the language as one resource, but you should build more on the other factors of violence, the result of brutal punishment for educating other slaves, etc. Focusing on some of these reasons may paint a clearer portrait.
ReplyDeleteThe structure of this paper seems almost backwards to me - you end with what seems like a thesis statement which is different from what is presented in the introduction. I think what you have in the body is pretty good, though. I would think about what you really want your thesis you be - it seems to me that your discussion centers around the struggle between Rufus' learned behaviors and his feelings/desires.
ReplyDeleteI understand the argument you are trying to make here, but I agree with Michelle. I think it is hard to see a character who rapes a women he "loves" as compassionate. Also, by not sending Dana's letters he makes a decision to hurt someone because of his own personal wants, and I think that is difficult to see as compassionate as well. I think you need more evidence to support this argument of compassion you pose, but other than that your post is clear and easy to follow.
ReplyDeleteHey,
ReplyDeleteI didn't mean the rape made him compassionate. I understand the connection and I will be changing it. Sorry.
Brittany
Like others have said, the core of your argument seems to appear towards the end of your paper, so perhaps looking for a way to push that further up the page would make it stronger. Also, a bit more evidence would help. Really great start though.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the majority here. Your final paragraph seems to have the most substance and analysis behind it. I would work within that paragraph and develop something even further. The paragraphs prior to your last have some worthy material, but seem to be overrun with summary.
ReplyDeleteI like your focus on Rufus' inner struggle with what he knows of the system and his own feelings. I think clarifying your thesis in the beginning (much like it's stated at the end) will really help to clear up the confusion people have about your argument.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your close reading and you have a very compelling argument. I like how you organize your argument through Rufus' aging but it could be delved into more by using more evidence to support your claims. Maybe show how at a young age Rufus accepts the ideals of his time. Dana works to thwart this as he gets older; not allowing him to call her "nigger", telling him how he treated Alice was wrong, etc. I'm not as far as you are so I can't give you much more for the later evidence that you quoted but I would just suggest using a bit more evidence and maybe tying the 1970s perspective into your argument as well.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a good start and I like that you tried to incorporate a SO WHAT yet I think digging much deeper into the implications of these ideas would make for a much stronger argument. OR I think maybe just focusing on that inner-struggle Rufus possesses between what has been ingrained into his thought process vs. how he feels could make for a stronger argument as well.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the points brought to your attention, great start needs an equally great finish. Can you argue that at times rufus is breaking from these societal bonds and going against the grain? I think that you need to give us more of a reason to why he is such a representation of the ideologies that surround him.
ReplyDeleteI think with a bit more evidence, this could be a really strong piece. I would also consider asking the question your pose in the last paragraph a bit sooner. As this is the main idea of your argument, it would be beneficial to bring it up sooner rather than later.
ReplyDeleteAgain, as others have mentioned I sense a start of a really great close read, however, I feel as though I don't completely connect with your argument, so strengthen that up, and you will have a stronger piece.
ReplyDeleteYour last paragraph is the most interesting part of your paper, and pushed me to think about the antebellum period and Rufus' character in a different way. Good job on doing this, but I wonder if you could go back to your evidence and apply this framework to it. By this I mean, have your thesis take a stance on the problem you pose (is it the person who is dangerous, or the ideology they believe in), and then use the evidence you already collected in order to support your stance. You're off to a really great start!
ReplyDeleteI like that you've contrasted the different sides of Rufus. You've done a great job addressing nature vs. nurture. while you have wonderful analysis, I don't get a strong sense of an argument. what if you looked at how the two conflicting sides of Rufus caused him to be seen by others, both black and white?
ReplyDeleteYou’ve presented a great analysis of your argument and provided plenty of supporting evidence. Many parts of this close reading are strong and I found your discussion of why Rufus raped Alice to be interesting, but I feel that the strongest part of this piece is your closing paragraph. When you raise the question of whether it was the actual violence or the ideals behind the violence that made slavery so horrible I felt that this was something you should have explicitly mentioned earlier on in your close reading.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBrittany,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a good start and brings up really interesting points. First, I would caution you about relying too much on summary, especially in your first paragraph. In your second paragraph you make the interesting claim that Rufus is compassionate and the reader is compelled to feel bad for him. I think you need to take this further. Yes, I see how the reader pities Rufus for being driven to rape, and yet, do we really? Same goes for his decision not to mail the letters: Do we feel sorry for him, or do we despise him? What should we be doing? There's a really fine line here, and it certainly draws out complicating and conflicted emotions. I would focus in on this and take it a step further. Consider all aspects of the emotional spectrum here. Overall, great start!
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteReally great close reading! I enjoy the way you discuss how Rufus is just merely a circumstance to this time period and the way that the ideals shape his behavior. I think you wait too long to get into this though. If you start strong making the claim that the Antebellum south ideals shape him to perpetuate this vicious cycle of slave owners/slaves I think the paper would be stronger! Also your last paragraph has some great thoughts, mention them sooner! Great work!
Brittany,
ReplyDeleteIn your close reading you reference "ideals" at the beginning and the end of your piece; however, you do not go in depth to define what this actually means. I think if would go a long way to strengthen your argument if you defined this term in depth for the reader.
I think you need to make your thesis more clear and tighten up your evidence in the body paragraphs. I feel as though they're very dense with evidence and general claims but not much analysis. I would reformulate your claims and then tailor your evidence to those in the body so your evidence doesn't build up to your claim, your evidence analyses your claims.
ReplyDeleteInteresting point, good job! Your last paragraph seems where your argument is. Take the last sentence and use it in the first paragraph, include it in your thesis. Maybe touch on the pressure he is under to be a "master."
ReplyDeleteFor me, the ending of this paper proves to be the most interesting, so I would go with that. Like Jessica said, literally move some of those thoughts directly into the first paragraph and I think it will get to th epoint quicker.
ReplyDelete