Monday, March 12, 2012

Female Portrayal in the Antebellum South

Throughout the novel Kindred, Octavia Butler provides readers with multiple images of life in antebellum South. However, her portrayal of the “mammy” character, Sarah, is starkly different than the typical African American loving and joyful Mammy, as seen in the famous novel Gone With the Wind. Butler provides this explicit contrast in order to undermine the stereotypical image that is seen so often throughout time.

The novel Gone With the Wind also takes place in the antebellum South and illustrates the motherly African American figure that Butler distorts. Mitchell writes, “Mammy emerged from the hall, a huge old woman with the small shrewd eyes of an elephant. She was shining black, pure African, devoted to her last drop blood to the O’Haras.” (46) This description provides the image of a caring and protective large African American woman, dedicated to her master’s family. Mitchell’s portrayal of Mammy’s commitment and love to the O’Hara’s continues as she states, “Whom Mammy loved, she chastened. And, as for her love for Scarlett and her pride in her were enormous, the chastening process was practically continuous.” (47) The depiction of Mammy and her love towards her master’s family demonstrates how the servant enjoys her life and would do anything for the people who have enslaved her, just as other stereotypical “Mammy” figures suggest.

Kindred provides a contrasting view of the “Mammy” character that goes against the popular stereotype prevalent in Gone With the Wind. Butler firsts introduces the female servant, Sarah, when she states, “She was as light skinned as my mute guide- a handsome middle-aged woman, tall and heavy-set.” (64) Here, it is visible that Sarah is described much differently than Mammy. She is not portrayed as “shining black” or “huge” and “old.” Instead, Butler presents Sarah different than the figure in Gone With the Wind in order to fight against the stereotype. Butler also illustrates Sarah differently when she describes her feelings towards her master family. When speaking of Miss Margaret, Sarah mutters “’Bitch!’” under her breath to show her distaste towards Mr. Weylins wife. (64) Butler goes on to illustrate Sarah’s feelings towards Mr. Weylin and his act of taking away her children as she writes, “The expression in her eyes had gone from sadness- she seemed almost ready to cry- to anger. Quiet, almost frightening anger.” She goes on, “If she ever decided to take her revenge, Weylin would never know what hit him.” (68) Here, it is apparent that Sarah loathes the family who owns her. Unlike Mammy in Gone With the Wind, Sarah is serving the Weylins for her own reasons, not because she cares for the family who enslaved her.

The portrayal of Sarah throughout Kindred distorts the stereotypical image of the “Mammy” figure that is seen in Gone With the Wind. Butler uses this depiction of Sarah in order to present an altered view of the glamorized servant role that is so widely used.

28 comments:

  1. Good job! I like that you related Kindred to Gone with the Wind. I think you do a good job comparing and contrasting the characters. However, I think you need to focus on the "so what" factor. Why is Butler's different portrayal of the mammy figure significant. Perhaps expand upon your conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you do a good job of pulling out specific details from which to compare the two characters. For Gone With the Wind though, I'm not sure that loving the people who own you is the same as enjoying life as a slave. This is just a small area that you might want to clarify with stronger evidence or re-word. I agree with Sarah that expanding your 'so what' would strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sarah, what's the so what? What is the importance of the fact that she distorts the mammy image? I think it has a lot to do with Butler purposely opposing the mammy image, so try to figure out why she does this. You can almost say that Sarah isn't a mammy so there's another way to look at it. More textual evidence will probably help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a significant contrast, I agree. I like that you decided to explore the character of Sarah in detail. I think you could prove out the comparison more, though. Are there more examples of difference in character you could use? Also, I think the way you explain physical comparison doesn't seem to work all that well with your argument. Mammy is huge, and sarah is tall and heavy-set (or, in other words huge). But, there is something to say about the contrast between Mammy being described like an African animal (shining black; huge; elephant) and Sarah being a light-skinned handsome woman. Maybe Butler is trying to humanize this character.

    Also, it's unrelated to the topic of your post, but I thought it was interesting that Mammy's love for people manifests itself in her disciplining/punishing (chastening) them. Just an interesting thing to think about in relation to the rest of our course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avery,

    I really liked your closed reading. You had a lot of textual evidence to support your argument. I also agree with those above me that you need to discuss why this contrast is significant. Other than that I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a really great close read and the contrast you made between the two novels. I would just focus in on what the novels want to portray and why this contrast is important in order to portray a certain message. I like the contrast that you made, but it could be made stronger by answering the "so what" factor of this close read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do a fairly good job of demonstrating the differences between Mammy and Sarah, although I think your discussion of Mammy's depiction needs to be fleshed out (what specific words in the passages you chose guide us to your conclusion? be explicit!). I think the obvious direction to go for revision is to explore just why these two women are presented so differently. Is it simply a case of stereotype versus reality? Or is there some more complex issue here? Think about the differences in the narratives themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One thing that will really help your response is elaborating on the quotes/evidence you choose to support your claim. For instance, the first quote you use in the third paragraph is followed by a small amount of analysis. Dig deeper into the quote so that the reader is more likely to be persuaded. The comparison of the two mammy depictions seem like a great topic, but make sure to be specific of how and why these differences are important or have a sort of significance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As others have said, the "So what?" factor needs fleshing out, and I'd like to see the connection between the two texts made more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read Gone With the Wind but I think you do a good job of using textual evidence to display this contrast between characters. However, I agree with others that your post lacks a valid argument about why this contrast is so important. You touch on it a little in your last sentence, about her offering "an altered view of a glamorized role", but why is this altered view significant? What does the role of Sarah do specifically to make this contrast worth noting?

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, I'm sort of biased because Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite books/movies ever. But regardless of that, you did a good job connecting to two texts together in a cohesive way. You included enough textual evidence and explained their significance. Like others have said, a more pronounced "so what?" portion would make this stronger. Otherwise great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your focus here - I also took note on the ways Butler was getting away from the typical stereotype of the Mammy character. Like others have stated, I think you could delve further into the connections between the two books and find more meaningful differences on Mammy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I realize this is a short close reading assignment, but I think there's a lot missing to your connections between Sarah and Mammy. Once their relation is fleshed out, I think you could easily take it a step further to discuss why there is a difference between them and what Sarah's unconventional role does for the text (i.e. why her differences are significant).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your title made me think that you were going to talk about many of the females depicted in Kindred so I might change that to the "mammy" or Sarah character in Kindred instead. Also, I would focus more on how in Gone With the Wind, Mammy is allowed to chastise Scarlett, like a mother. Whereas, Sarah in Kindred would be whipped if she chastised Rufus and only chastises other black slaves. A bit more evidence and some implications as to why Butler felt the need to put a twist on the "mammy" stereotype would really strengthen your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's important to either place the word "typical" in the introduction in either air quotes or to possibly change the word to stereotypical as you use through the rest of your piece. I like the piece yet I struggled to fid that SO WHAT factor. I also think it's quite important to note the difference of time period and perspective of the two novels. Gone With the Wind is written from a white perspective, glamorizing the Mammy of the family seems a way of hiding truth whereas Butler gives an african american perspective and breathes a personality into the Mammy character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is an neat comparison between the two texts and the time period in which they take place. I think that we need some more insight into the struggles with Gone With The Wind. I agree that it is a bit broad in general and could use some expansion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As so many others have already stated, I think you need to expand a bit more on the significance of this piece. you have a great start here and the contrast between the two characters is striking, but I'm just left wonder why Butler would do that. Perhaps unpacking this contrast a bit more would help to clarify that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you've done a great job thoroughly discussing the contrast of Sarah with the typical mammy figure. I think your next best step, is to find a plausible reason why Butler is doing this, (is she showing the real mammy, does this make sarah's life easier or harder, what is Butlers purpose in crafting this character in this way) and make that your argument. i think then, you will have a really fantastic essay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although I see where you are attempting to go with the two pieces, it take more effort to connect outsiders, so like many said, you should be more conscious of having us make the connection from an outside perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you have an awesome start and middle to your paper. Your idea is well formulated and supported, and once you polish your "end" to the paper, I think you will have created an excellent argument. Focusing on why the stereotype of the loving, jovial, chastising Mammy character is problematic and/or why the portrayal of Sarah could be deemed as more "realistic" could be an interesting way to finish off your paper. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that you’re off to a great start with your close reading! The stereotypical portrayal of the mammy character did start numerous years ago with books like Gone With the Wind and even still today is one of the few roles in which Black women can be seen as visible in the media. I think that you should go further with your argument and provide more examples of why Sarah loathes the Weylin family so much (such as how Mr. Weylin sold her children), and discuss what her “other reasons” are for serving the Weylin family. I think that this would allow for you to better contrast her character with that of the mammy character from Gone With the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Avery,

    I think it's really interesting that you decided to focus in on "Mammy" and bring in a related text. While reading the novel, I thought the references to Mammy were interesting as well, but if I recall correctly, I think you may be missing some from your argument. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dana was compared to Mammy at one point in the text... if that's true (I could be mistaken) that would be a really interesting moment to complicate your argument a bit. Also, I think Sarah is a really complex character and you could work a little more to unpack her behavior and how she both fits and shatters the "Mammy" image. Overall, this is a good start and an innovative concept. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Avery,
    Very interesting response. I think the contrast you draw between stereotypical "mother figure" slaves in the Antebellum south is something great. However, I think the piece needs to be pushed just a bit further and tell us why this is important to Kindred as a text. The very last sentence of your response really captures what (at least I think) you are getting at. Maybe think about working that into your thesis more! Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Avery,

    You have an interesting comparison on your hands here, but I think you have left out the "so what" factor. Why does it matter that there are contrasts between the two characters? What does this difference add to the novel? Can you take this argument a step further?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked your close reading. I would warn you to watch when you're using citations that you're correctly identifying which text you are referring to within the citation (it got a little confusing for me). Also, I think you could take this paper and really fine tune it with the quotes you compare about Mammy and Sarah, with Sarah being a handsome woman and Mammy being an elephant. What does this say about the way we're viewing these characters in this book? I think that could be really interesting, and you might want to mine that idea and really flesh it out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like the contrast, but what is the consequence or benefit or benefit for Butler to describe the women on this way.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like the contrast, but what is the consequence or benefit or benefit for Butler to describe the women on this way.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think it's a strong presentation of similarities. It just needs the so-what factor.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.