Monday, January 23, 2012

Women’s Identity in Edith Wharton’s Summer



A woman’s role in society during the early 1900’s is analyzed in Edith Wharton’s novella, Summer.  During this time, women seemed to define themselves in terms of their relationship to men, whether it be daughter, wife, or even housekeeper.   These roles are primarily displayed by the protagonist, Charity Royall, and her relationships with her benefactor, Mr. Royall, and her secret love interest, Lucius Harney.  Charity seems to display unique characteristics compared to other women protagonists in novels set during this time.  She has a strong sense of confidence and power over Mr. Royall, an old man who she truly despises.  However, this confidence is interrupted by Lucius’ arrival in her small town of North Dormer.  The first few chapters of the novella illustrate her internal struggle between the independent and proud traits she possesses versus the societal and cosmopolitan woman she wishes to be. 
Charity’s insecurities are displayed within the first chapter of the novella during her first encounter with Lucius, who at that point is a stranger to her, but one in which she is instantly infatuated with.  Certain points in the text support the notion that she is not completely happy with herself or her surroundings, which may be a cause for these in securities.  This is apparent when she, “looked critically at her reflection, wished for the thousandth time that she has blue eyes like Annabel Balch” (100), a character that supposedly lived in a more cultural city outside of Charity’s small rural town.  It is clear already that she is unhappy with her physical traits, but also with her mental traits, or intelligence. Charity’s attraction to this stranger also leads her to reflect on a trip she took to nearby Nettleton, a city with much more potential and social opportunity.  Her insecurities were reinforced during this trip as she, “listen[ed] to a gentlemen saying unintelligible things before pictures that she would have enjoyed looking at if his explanations has not prevented them from understating them” (100).  This reflection not only displays her extreme dislike for North Dormer, but also the ironic intimidation that she associates with anything outside of it.
Although these previous passage seem to indicate Charity’s timid and unsure demeanor, a different behavior is shown in chapter two.  Here, Charity’s strained relationship with Mr. Royall is discussed, a man who brought her “down from the Mountain” at a young age and has raised her since.  Readers would assume she would act submissive towards her so called caregiver, but that is not the case.  This is illustrated through Charity’s defiance towards his actions and her, “rule in lawyer Royall’s house” (107).  Charity refuses to go to boarding school and instead insists on getting a job as a librarian, a job in which she certainly did not need given Mr. Royall’s relative amount of wealth.  However, she explicitly states she wants the money, “so’s to get away” (112), from Mr. Royall and his previous suggestion of them consummating their relationship due to his loneliness.  She uses her power over Mr. Royall and takes advantage of his feelings towards her to gain access to freedom that she may not otherwise have had. 
However, chapter eight enlightens readers on Charity’s internal struggle between these two personas.  Harney is going to leave town due to Mr. Royall’s jealous, but discrete requests for him not to stay there anymore.  Charity is forced here to face her weak side in the presence of Mr. Royall as her pain is surfaced at the news and shortly after she acts boldly towards Harney as she waits for him to say goodbye, instead of intruding in his house the night before.  Essentially, the first half of the novella sets up a struggle within Charity’s identity in terms of her relationship with men, in particular Mr. Royall and Harney.  

-Leanne Johnson

29 comments:

  1. I thought this was a really good analysis with a lot of great reading into the character of Charity. I think your thesis could be a little bit more specific. For instance, maybe you could answer the question of why Charity struggles. An interesting quote you use is the one about her wishing her eyes were a different color. I think this opens up a potentially interesting discussion of social norms and certain ideologies. I realize it's kind of silly to try and speculate on all of these things in just half the novel, but I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stacy, this was a good analysis of Charity and her relationships/power dynamics with Royall and Lucius.

    You gesture towards Royall's wealth and Charity's desire to earn money and "escape," which I think could open up, should you choose to pursue it, a discussion about class and social mobility. Granted, your argument is more based around Charity's own personal and internal conflicts, a more "life sized" concern, so talking about social mobility may not be completely relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne, I recognize and enjoy your main argument of women's struggle to find their identity specifically through the character Charity in the novel. I also think there are a couple great moments in your response that could use a little re-organization and maybe development to really take your close reading to the next level. For example, I got a little lost in your second paragraph where you use the examples of Lucius's arrival and her trip to Nettleton. Those are both great examples to use with the supporting quotes but maybe in separate paragraphs and in more depth. One thing I particularly like is the last sentence of your third paragraph about Charity's assertion of power over Mr. Royall, it's a great point to recognize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you provide a very interesting and well supported analysis of Charity's character. But I'm curious as to what importance this has on the rest of the novel. I would be interested in hearing why you believe Charity's internal struggle is important to the overall story and how the different sides of her persona might change or come into play during the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job at tackling one specific point in the novella. I thought that your argument was clear from beginning to end and that you used examples to support your argument. I thought this argument was very interesting and well thought out. You chose something deep into a character rather than focusing on a specific of the novella itself. I am interested to see if your argument holds up as we finish the novella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you make a great point about Charity and her internal struggles. I especially liked that you noted her sense of insecurity about where she comes from and the anti-composmopolitan town of North Dormer. I think this could actually be a really great essay if you expanded it further. I definitely think that finishing the book would be beneficial to your close reading as we will see what happens to Charity and how her positions of power and weakness shift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the other posts when they say that this is a solid argument that does a good job in its analysis of specific traits of the character Charity. I also agree with some of the statements that you should expand your argument, specifically in terms of discussing the importance of these traits/internal struggles on the events of the novella and how they influence the rest of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The notion of Charity's internal struggle being illuminated by her outward desires and behaviors is an interesting one (at least, this is what i view your paper to be about). I think that you could really unpack some of your quotes to fully explore the dynamics between her inner world and the persona she exudes to others (Lucius' quote about her being from the mountain explaining her being so different would work within this line of thinking, as well as the part where she has to remind herself that she is "one of them" while visiting the shack with Lucius).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is an interesting discussion, and you have a lots of strong supporting evidence for your thoughts. However, I think you need to tighten up the focus a bit. Your main argument (that women define themselves in terms of men) isn't explicitly clear in your introduction. I'd also caution you from making broad general statements about the time period, as you do so in the into. Your paper would be stronger if you stick to exactly what's written in the text. Be careful of typos too, I noticed some that disrupt your syntax and that's an easy fix.

    I thought your most intriguing sentence was "This reflection not only displays her extreme dislike for North Dormer, but also the ironic intimidation that she associates with anything outside of it." Unfortunately this strong observation doesn't seem to tie into your argument much. I think you could really develop this, but you need to clearly connect it back to your thesis. Make sure that all of your paragraphs and supporting evidence link back easily to your original claim.

    I really like where you're going with this, and I think once you fine-tune it, it will be a great response!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you decided to take on the task of outlining Charity's contradictory nature. You did a good job touching on the main points surrounding her internal struggles with her own power and her insecurities.

    However, I think this discussion needs a little more focus and development. It seems like you're trying to construct a comprehensive picture of Charity as a character, but I think the most fruitful way of discussing this topic would be to focus on two points: first, Charity's sense of power and what that means for those around her/herself; and second, what her insecurities mean for her and/or why this sense of insecurity plays into her attraction to Lucius. Developing those two points first may help you with the kind of analysis of Charity's internal struggle that I think you're trying to construct here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your focus to Charity. Your argument is very east to find, and I think you do a great job and introducing your discussion. I think you could strengthen your argument a bit by asking more question about why Charity acts this way. You could go into more depth about Mr. Royall, questioning his actions are well as Charitys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked your piece a lot. I think it's really interesting the role that Lucius plays in her life and how he will fit into the rest of the story, and about her and Royall's relationship. What I feel like this is missing is the "why" aspect. You say Charity holds power over Royall, and I don't see an explicit reason as to why that is. I would put some of that reasoning in there. Also, why does Lucius have a sense of "power" over Charity? How does this play into her insecurities?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Overall, I like your exploration of Charity and her various characteristics as a character.

    I think you need to develop Lucius' role more throughout your paper. I could be wrong in the direction you desire to go, but your introduction makes it appear that Lucius plays a pivotal role in Charity's progression or digression as a character. IF that is the general direction of your paper, build more on Lucius' influence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do an excellent job at incorporating quotes; you chose and used them well. I just think that the entire novel should be included in your final draft, with a greater understanding of the characters and more analyses of Charity's actions. Nonetheless, this is a great springboard for an important element of the novella! (Maybe you can use it for your paper!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate how you've broken down the different internal struggles that Charity faces throughout Chapter 8 of the novel.

    However, I feel that your paper spends too much time summarizing the text and not enough time analytically engaging "Summer." Charity's roles as a woman in society are clearly described in this piece, but I'm still struggling to interpret the overall argumentative claim of the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought you did a good job exploiting Charity as a character and her various struggles internally. The evidence you used to support your argument works well with the rest of your paper. However, I think you could add some more analysis along with the summary you provide including some more examples regarding Lucius.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really liked this essay. I can tell that you put time into this essay and I have very little to say for feedback. You had great transitions throughout and it is real concise on what you want to discuss throughout. I can see your argument and you provide evidence to support your claim, which is great. Overall, I enjoyed reading this...good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the aspect of the novella that you explored, I think you bring up very valid points and evidence. I would like to see you take it somewhere more innovative in one or more places.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was able to follow and identify your argument easily. Your analysis was great and you had a good amount of textual evidence. I would like to see however the mention of Charitys struggle with identity was because of the men in her life in the first paragraph because you just briefly mention it at the end. It was really good though and i enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This article paints a vivid picture of the character of Charity. You do a nice job of following her motivations and character traits throughout the story. I agree with the others who have pointed out that you argument is hard to find. If you decide to work with the power struggle aspects of your argument I would need more evidence. You could easily pull from Charity's reactions to Harney. She talks about his superiority and how she is okay with succumbing to it, this is just one of the many instances where Charity stumbles in the presence of this new man.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your thesis statement here is a very powerful one; your arguement is of women's place in society in the early 1900s, but after this initial statement you slip into a summary of the reading. When you rewrite your close reading, maybe cut out some of the plot points and really hone in on Charity's role as a pseudo-daughter, her role in the library (and how she doesn't take care of it), her role as secret lover, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your argument and statements were very well written and flowed wonderfully. I haven't finished the book yet, but I'm guessing it could use a bit of analysis vs. summary.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked your central argument but wished that it was a bit more laid out in the beginning. I did like how you deconstructed Charity as a character and talked about her insecurities, as that makes up a huge part of what motivates a character. You used a lot of good evidence but there was a bit more summary than I would have liked. Other than that, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that your reading of the women's identities being linked to the men in the novella is interesting and goes hand-in-hand with what we read from the Pleck and Cobb texts, and that was successful. One statement you made in regard to a quote in your second paragraph was somewhat confusing for me, however. After your quote about Charity looking at her reflection you said "It is clear already that she is unhappy with her physical traits, but also with her mental traits, or intelligence." I am curious, where in the text did you get that she is unhappy with her intelligence? I thought Charity came off as a proud individual, and don't see where she impugns her own intelligence. If you could provide evidence to support that in your revision I think that would benefit your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought your introductory paragraph was good. I did think that you needed more evidence to say that she actually wants to be a cosmopolitan and social woman. She does have insecurities about herself, but the only evidence you gave about it was that she wished she had blue eyes and she didn't like that she couldn't understand a man at an art show.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like that you chose to analyze the key relationships in the text as they are crucial to the development of Charity. However, I also thing it's important to note that she behaves around these two men differently partly because they fulfill two different roles in her life. Her relationship with her father figure is inherently different from her relationship with her beloved; I think it would be interesting to note analyze where these two men blur the lines of their roles (i.e. where Mr. Royall acts as lover and Harney acts as father) and to analyze what implications this has for understanding both their relationships and the rest of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I thought your focus started off strong and your unpacking of most of the quotes provided details supporting your thesis. The word charity makes me think of need, I think authors take deep thought in naming characters so possibly using her name to tie into how the definitions of women tie into their relationships w/ men.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel that you’ve provided a very strong and fluid argument in your close reading and I found it intriguing the way you chose to examine Charity’s internal struggle between her current identity and who, or what she desired to be. You’ve provided many great examples, but I would like to see you expound on your analytical explanations of them more and how they contribute to Charity’s internal struggle and the way that reflects upon her relationships with lawyer Royall and Lucius.

    ReplyDelete
  29. To me, it felt a bit like you were trying to tackle two different arguments: 1.) women defining themselves (or perhaps being defined by?) their relationship to men, and 2.) Charity's internal struggle (and what this implies?) The two ideas can be connected, but I think you might do better to pick one or the other. Since more of your paper seems to deal directly with Charity's personal struggle, perhaps focus mainly on that and formulate a thesis around those ideas. Remember to make your thesis argumentative, however!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.