Within Edith Wharton’s Summer, Lawyer Royall represents a number of things (including, but not limited to): social mobility (or the lack thereof), Charity’s ability to ‘escape’ North Dormer (and the Mountain), and the ‘nature of men’ and men’s sexuality. Towards the beginning of the novel, the most interesting and apparent of these aspects of Lawyer Royall is how he stands as an obstacle to Charity’s freedom and independence, along with how Charity navigates this obstacle.
Chapter 8 is a turning point in Charity and Royall’s relationship (though not the only one, nor the most climactic), notable for the fact that “until then, [Charity] had never really noticed [Royall] or thought about him” (Wharton 153). It is the point where, for Charity, Royall goes from a nuisance and a boring fact of life to, in a sense, a real person. As the paragraph continues:
Except on the occasion of his one offense he had been to her merely the person who is always there, the unquestioned central fact of life, as inevitable but as uninteresting as North Dormer itself, or any of the other conditions fate had laid on her. Even then she had regarded him only in relation to herself, and had never speculated as to his own feelings, beyond instinctively concluding that he would not trouble her again in the same way. But now she began to wonder what he was really like. (153)
For Charity, Royall is very much a part of North Dormer life, a fixture in a town she wants desperately to escape. He is, however, not among the typical class or type or person in North Dormer. He is, in his own words, “’head and shoulders above this place and everybody in it’” (156), which is to say that he is more educated and wealthier than the other residents of North Dormer. All the same (and in fact, likely because of these differences), Charity realizes that she is “the only being between him and solitude” (109), and decides to stay in North Dormer with him.
Regardless, early in the novella Royall’s house is referred to as Charity’s “prison-house” (102). She does not stay with him because it is the best choice for herself, she stays out of a sense of pity for Royall. That conflict – between what she wants for herself and how she sees (or doesn’t see) Royall forms the cornerstone of their relationship. They are together in the capacities they find themselves in because of what the other can offer them. For Charity, it’s relative comfort and security, for Royall it is an escape from lonliness.
However, at the end of Charity’s showdown with Royall in chapter 8, she says “’I don’t want any chance you can give me…’” (157). Charity is between a rock and a hard place, so to speak, with Royall: he can get her the things she wants, if she only asks (or gives Royall what he wants). Their relationship is characterized by a back-and-forth maneuvering and manipulation by both of them.
Granted, the relationship between Charity and lawyer Royall is not static, even after this point. However, a man such as myself can only do so much when he hasn’t yet finished the book. I will say, however, that while Charity’s relationship with Lucius Harney is the cornerstone of her ‘sexual awakening’ and is an important thematic facet of the novella, Charity’s relationship with Royall informs the way she relates and reacts to the other characters in the novel. It is the most formative and influential relationship she has.
Logan,
ReplyDeleteI think you are onto something with your focus on Mr. Royall and his representation of numerous things throughout the novel. However, I would like to see you focus more on one or a couple of these things to develop a stronger argumentative thesis. If your intent was to discuss their relationship as a whole, then disregard my comment but maybe make that more apparent! Other than that I think you have some great textual evidence describing key moments in their relationship and that the piece has a good flow. Lastly, I may be wrong, but when I referenced the text on 102 I'm fairly certain Charity is mentioning the library as a "prison-house" (though its arguable she feels the same way about her home!)
I think you present a lot of great ideas about what Mr. Royall symbolizes in your introduction, but I don't see that focus in the rest of your essay or at least not in that same terminology. I think it would be really interesting to see you develop the idea of Mr. Royall and social mobility, especially given his speech during the Old Home Week. If you focus on the idea of Charity staying with Mr. Royall out of pity, I would ask how that works once she starts a relationship with Harney and suddenly expresses feelings of hate and resentment toward Mr. Royall.
ReplyDeleteLogan-
ReplyDeleteYou have a great thesis that you have set up for the reader, but I felt that the rest of your essay did not fully focus on that thesis. You use many great examples, but I would just look back at what you want to say and continue with arguing that. I thought that you came up with a lot of great ideas about Lawyer Royall's representation in the novel and you can develop that into a close reading of the novel. This was a well written piece, just stay focused on your thesis and what you want to argue!
Interesting focus on Lawyer Royall, but I feel that you are missing things. Specifically in your introduction you argue that Mr. Royall represents the nature of men and male sexuality, but I do not see that in the rest of your paper. Make sure your supporting everything in your thesis. Also, I feel that the side notes in the parentheses are not helping your argument, it seems like you're second guessing yourself in them.
ReplyDeleteLogan, I think that you are afraid to do it, so I will just say it here. You should just focus on one or two of these representations and just dive in. My other note is to just remember that when introducing quotes, it's a colon when it's not a verb (in his own words: "blahblahblah") and a comma when it is (says, "blahblahblah").
ReplyDeleteLogan, i think you produced an interesting close reading of the text, and i think you have a plethora of things to say in relation to Lawyer Royall's function in the novel. I think your block quote provides a wealth of information to use and unpack to further support your claims, yet you don't use it. Spend a paragraph talking out that big chunk of text, as opposed to summarizing it in a sentence and moving on to another quote. If, however, that one sentence is all that you want to use, then delete your block quote and simply paraphrase. Hope this helps!
ReplyDeleteI would eliminate all the extra things Royall represents because it throws off the reader and you should just focus on your last point that you discuss. So develop this more in the introduction and create a strong thesis because it is unclear what your thesis is. Also I would leave out the phrases in the parenthesis, it is distracting and not necessary, this could just be a personal opinion though. Also I would like to see more analysis on the quotes because you do have good textual quotes.
ReplyDeleteYour honing in on lawyer Royalls relationship and affectations towards Charity are really interesting and rather thought-provoking. I didn't realize how in Charity's mind she had placed lawyer Royall as a likeness to North Dormer, in that she wanted to escape him and North Dormer and that both were just facts in life that she could not change. This is directly related to Naturalism in that a character's life is pre-ordained for them and that they can do nothing to alter it; fate.
ReplyDeleteReal cool to use Royall as a symbol for Charity's struggle to escape North Dormer. I'm sure now that we've finished the book, you'll be able to incorporate more of their relationship (esp. their marriage) to demonstrate your thesis. That and a further analysis of the quotes you already provided will give you a pretty solid argument.
ReplyDeleteI think you use quotes to your advantage, however, as many others have mentioned, I would try and focus on one specific analysis of Royall. This would be clearer and more of a "close reading."
ReplyDeleteThe beginning of your post lead me to think that you would focus only on Royall and his role in the novella, but then your paper went another direction and focused more on the relationship between Charity and Royall. For your revision I would suggest either changing your thesis to match the argument you already developed, or you could write another argument to match your thesis. Either way, you should choose one approach or the other and stick to it so you have a stronger paper that follows one topic consistently.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you depict the relationship of Charity and Royall. Also of greatness, you make it your point to site tons of evidence.
ReplyDeleteA couple notices. You do not appear to develop your argument of how Royall is an obstacle in the way of Charity accomplishing her freedom and independence until the end of your fourth paragraph. Overall, your argument seems to depict Charity as being in the way of herself and her independence. In terms of quotes, you have a lot. I think eliminating the block paragraph and focusing on 1 or 2 pieces of evidence you site will help condense your paper into something more equipped for the length requirement of the response.
Logan,
ReplyDeleteYou have a great thesis and great paragraphs, but the two don't exactly work together. I think your paper could be a lot stronger if you were to focus your paragraphs a little more around your thesis and spend a little less time summarizing "Summer" in the body of your essay.
I feel like the range of your essay is too broad. I would like it more if you focused on one of the claims made and then really delved in, developed the argument, and provided an in depth analysis of the text. I don't feel that you need such lengthy quotes. I am, however, interesting in the direction that you seem to be taking, I just think that a tighter focus would go a long way.
ReplyDeleteYour outlook on the relationship between Charity and Lawyer Royall is very interesting. However, I think that you are trying to do too much. As others have said, I would also like to see your paper focused on one or two pieces of evidence and less summarizing in your body paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everyone who has said you need to make your thesis more focused. If you were to pick one aspect of Royall, it would be a better argument with more solid evidence. Also, I am interested why you think Charity stays with Royall out of pity. I think it would benefit you to explain that more.
ReplyDeleteI really like that you chose to focus on Royall. I had not thought about him as a symbol of social mobility. You use a lot of textual evidence, I think you should focus in on one or two. I think really getting into a few quotes rather than briefly discussing a lot will make your argument stronger.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Stacy, I think if you choose one of these topics to delve into, you would be able to inspect at a more refined level. I did enjoy your comparison of Charity's and Royall's relationship as a back and forth. Exploring that power struggle is something that might provide a lot of material and argument.
ReplyDeleteYou mention the nature of men and male sexuality as presented by lawyer Royall in your introduction, but I feel that you left it unaddressed, besides summary. I think that that could be an interesting point to explore further if you are specifically examining Royall as a whole character or his relationship with Charity. If you choose to focus on social mobility, then never mind! This is personal preference perhaps, but all of your parentheses make me a bit nervous. It feels as though you may be commenting on someone else's work in your head. I think the points you make within them could be of more impact if they were stand alone sentences or clauses.
ReplyDeleteI liked your topic, the back and forth struggle with Charity and Royall. I think that for your revision, you should look at the end of the book where she decides to stay with Royall. The house at the end of the book is less of a prison house and more of a place of safety. Also, Royall's role in Charity's life changes yet again but this time she accepts it and almost embraces it with her "I guess your good too" line.
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting the way you described Lawyer Royall as a "fixture of North Dormer" and how you give evidence of the differing ways in which Lawyer Royall views himself in relation to how Charity views him (as with this example). Within this close reading you've provided a wealth of information about Lawyer Royall but I would, as others have mentioned, like to see you focus on just one or two of his characteristics.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad someone focused of Mr. Royall as he plays an integral part in Charity's life throughout the novel. I was a bit unclear about your thesis but as I read I got a better idea of what you were after. That being said, if you could tweak your paper a bit to make it more focused on your thesis it would be much more effective. Less summary might be one way to tackle that.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your thoughts that Lawyer Royall plays a great part in Charity's life yet I think possibly finding more aspects of Lawyer Royall and close reading how his actions impact Charity paralleled to how she impacted by them could strengthen this piece.
ReplyDeleteI like that you chose to analyze Charity's relationship with Mr. Royall because his character in itself is very complex. I think your paper would be infinitely stronger if you focused on your syntax and eliminated the parentheses and non-textual quotes.
ReplyDeleteLogan,
ReplyDeleteI think you're really on to something- you just need to clarify it. Clearly you have good ideas and you're making great analytic connections within the text. However, your syntax is severely distracting... my suggestion is to literally omit every single parenthetical comment and 'air quote' that you use. Instead, incorporate these thoughts into stronger sentences. This will make you piece a million times easier to read. I'd also veer away from using a block quote, simply because this is such a short piece. Pick and choose what quotes will enhance your argument, and make sure you're unpacking every aspect of that quote.
Make sure every point you make relates back to a central thesis. This definitely has great potential- if you clearly articulate the great ideas you have, it will be a really strong piece.
I liked how you changed it up by focusing on the male character instead of solely on Charity. You raise up good points and if you were able to write about the end of the book I think you would have a strong paper! good stuff :)
ReplyDeleteYou list a lot of stuff at the beginning as to how Royall functions in the story. It might be better to unload those within the text and have a more clear and concise instruction paragraph because as I read this I'm not sure as to where your paper is trying to go.
ReplyDelete