While reading France Power Cobbe’s Wife-Torture in England, one can’t help see how the implications of women and their standings within society essentially doomed them to become victims of domestic violence. Cobbe goes into detail profiling the victims of these offences, the husbands who abuse them and the circumstances keeping them in homes of abuse.
The reasoning Cobbe offers for “wife torture” is what modern-day activists would call victim blaming — the idea that the woman’s behavior led her to be beaten and abused. We see this through what Cobbe classifies as the three types of abuse that men do: men vs. men, men vs. anonymous women and men vs. their wives. The first two types are punishable by law, because they are acts of violence. But Cobbe explains how the last — men vs. their wives — was (at that time) more acceptable than the other violent acts because of victim blaming.
Cobbe explains how because women are classified as property, they are dehumanized in their husbands eyes (62). Furthermore, women are rarely financially independent. So when they ask for financial assistance from their husbands to buy food or provide for their children, a wife is seen as “nagging,” which is cause for abuse to occur.
Women were also discouraged to report such abuse for multiple reasons. One big one is that prior to 1853, there were virtually no laws protecting women from violence. Also, following that year, if a woman was to say her husband beat her, she had to testify against him in court with a “substantial” amount of evidence. Her husband would only be locked up for about 6 months. This gives little incentive for any woman to turn her husband in, for fear that he will return to the home and the abuse will continue and increase in severity (80).
What we see here is a lot of what we see in today’s society. Although there are many more laws to protect women now, we see victim-blaming occurring very frequently (especially in the case with sexual violence against women) and we see women refusing to leave their homes for fear their husbands/significant others will return and the abuse will continue.
What I find very interesting about this text, however, is the fact that the language Cobbe uses in her essay show a sort of victim-blaming going on as well. We see this a lot in the present, too, with many victim blaming practices. In certain parts of her essay, Cobbe discusses the intelligence and financial means of the victims, claiming that those factors directly enable women to become abused. Specifically “poor, stupid, ignorant women as most of them are” are more prone to drinking. This can be a reason for abuse to occur.
Similarly, with modern-day rape victims, many blame the amount of alcohol they consume or the clothing that they wear as a factor in their rapes. Cobbe shows a typical critique of many. Though they might not think the abuse occurring is good, they use qualifiers as to who was abused and how that occurs — meaning some of us are more prone to it, so for some of us, it is more “acceptable” than other cases.
By classifying women into separate classes, it shows a tier of acceptability and expectancy for abuse to occur. Some women are more prone to it, so it’s easier to justify.
The reasoning Cobbe offers for “wife torture” is what modern-day activists would call victim blaming — the idea that the woman’s behavior led her to be beaten and abused. We see this through what Cobbe classifies as the three types of abuse that men do: men vs. men, men vs. anonymous women and men vs. their wives. The first two types are punishable by law, because they are acts of violence. But Cobbe explains how the last — men vs. their wives — was (at that time) more acceptable than the other violent acts because of victim blaming.
Cobbe explains how because women are classified as property, they are dehumanized in their husbands eyes (62). Furthermore, women are rarely financially independent. So when they ask for financial assistance from their husbands to buy food or provide for their children, a wife is seen as “nagging,” which is cause for abuse to occur.
Women were also discouraged to report such abuse for multiple reasons. One big one is that prior to 1853, there were virtually no laws protecting women from violence. Also, following that year, if a woman was to say her husband beat her, she had to testify against him in court with a “substantial” amount of evidence. Her husband would only be locked up for about 6 months. This gives little incentive for any woman to turn her husband in, for fear that he will return to the home and the abuse will continue and increase in severity (80).
What we see here is a lot of what we see in today’s society. Although there are many more laws to protect women now, we see victim-blaming occurring very frequently (especially in the case with sexual violence against women) and we see women refusing to leave their homes for fear their husbands/significant others will return and the abuse will continue.
What I find very interesting about this text, however, is the fact that the language Cobbe uses in her essay show a sort of victim-blaming going on as well. We see this a lot in the present, too, with many victim blaming practices. In certain parts of her essay, Cobbe discusses the intelligence and financial means of the victims, claiming that those factors directly enable women to become abused. Specifically “poor, stupid, ignorant women as most of them are” are more prone to drinking. This can be a reason for abuse to occur.
Similarly, with modern-day rape victims, many blame the amount of alcohol they consume or the clothing that they wear as a factor in their rapes. Cobbe shows a typical critique of many. Though they might not think the abuse occurring is good, they use qualifiers as to who was abused and how that occurs — meaning some of us are more prone to it, so for some of us, it is more “acceptable” than other cases.
By classifying women into separate classes, it shows a tier of acceptability and expectancy for abuse to occur. Some women are more prone to it, so it’s easier to justify.
I like how you focus on the notion of victim blaming and bring modern-day examples to contrast with the events presented to us in the Cobbe piece.
ReplyDeleteI think more specific examples of such victim blame would help to make your point much stronger. You sort of gloss over a number of the excuses used in those situations, but the discussion of those excuses could be developed a little more.
I was thinking the same thing that the last comment pointed out - while I really like the idea of tackling victim blaming in both a modern and a historical context, some more concrete examples to go with your declarations.
ReplyDeleteAnother aspect that I think is very important in the subjugation of wives/women, but only gets a brief mention, is the role of "women as property" and the lack of financial independence for women. Victim blaming is a tool that is used to justify wife beating, as an excuse for a beating, but because women were seen as the property of their husband, the man was essentially given the RIGHT to beat their wife.
Interesting topic. I, too, enjoy the victim-blaming focus with the various comparisons you make to contemporary time. Overall, an intriguing paper.
ReplyDeleteA couple suggestions from a novice: Some of supporting arguments (to me) are not focused on enough. For example, as other posters have said, the focus on women as property is briefly mentioned. What the effects of women as property? Why does that ideology exist? Expanding your attention on this issue will make your paper even stronger.
I hope this helps.
Hey, Kate,
ReplyDeleteI like your relation of victim blaming throughout the years, but like other people have pointed out, i think more textual evidence would help support your argument. This statement, in particular, would benefit from examples taken from the text: "What I find very interesting about this text, however, is the fact that the language Cobbe uses in her essay show a sort of victim-blaming going on as well". I really appreciate how you tried to make your close reading speak to a larger issue, and relate it to modern times to examine how much (or little) the human race has progressed.
-Jess
I, also, enjoy your topic on victim blaming. The way you bring in modern day examples helps to expand your argument and gives readers an interesting view of how things have or haven't changed over time. I think you could go farther with your evidence by having more reasoning behind the examples you highlight to provoke more thoughts and ideas, altogether.
ReplyDeleteIt is crazy to think about this idea Cobbe mentions and you cite, that there was a sort of hierarchy of acceptable violence: it's "heinous" to assault a man, slightly less heinous to assault a woman, and bad but sort of tolerable for a man to assault his wife. Doesn't this seem to contradict the article's contemporary idea that women are the more innocent, dependent, and weaker sex? Violence against such a person would, I imagine, prompt more outrage than against a man who can defend himself. Just trying to think within the times. I don't know how relevant that is. But I think it'd be interesting for your response to explore that a little more. Maybe it could also connect with the "then and now" thing you have going on later with victim blaming. What would modern culture say to such a hierarchy as the one that existed then? Or maybe it's still around, or maybe it's been flipped. I don't know. Some things to consider.
ReplyDeleteI also think this is a very interesting topic and I think this could easily be explored in greater detail. I like that you criticized Cobbe, but I think you could've discussed how she blamed the lower class more. Additionally, I really like that you connect it to how today's rape victims are often blamed because I these texts can help us understand issues today, even though they are difficult to discuss.
ReplyDeleteBecause our posts are supposed to be close readings of the texts, I would suggest looking just a little deeper into some specifics of the text. For instance, I really like when you actually used a quote from Cobbe's essay ("poor, stupid, ignorant women as most of them are"), but continuing to do this in other parts of your close reading might help strengthen your argument. Just an idea.
ReplyDeleteHaving just Cobbe's essay be the focus of your response was a good choice in my opinion. I like the fact that you were able to take on piece of work and pull a lot of ideas out of it. I would, however, suggest that you develop some of the ideas a little further such as the points you make in the last couple of paragraphs. When you discuss the modern-day rape victims as they relate to the women discussed in Cobbe's text you really peaked my interest, but I would love to see that more developed. I agree with many of the points you are making and think this is a great response.
ReplyDeleteKatie, I really love how you tied in the modern-day issue of sexual violence against women. That's really what literature and historical texts enable us to do: learn from the past by making connections to our current situations. I wonder, though, if Cobbe herself is blaming the victim, or if it is her rhetorical strategy to appeal to the upper-class men? We mentioned this in class yesterday. I understand it's hard to specifically prove, but I could see an activist using terms like 'ignorant' and 'stupid' to appeal to his or her audience.
ReplyDeleteGreat job!
Kate, I am with you on so many of these points. My favorite one is your last, which calls to attention the ability of a social construct can affect women and the people who may abuse them. If I were to pick something for you to expand on, it would be the current state. Are there any legal or social policies that still hold women back?
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI agree with the majority of the posts above; the part about victim blaming was an insightful comparison for this piece with current societal trends. However, I do think that your essay would be strengthened with either an example from society today or by some sort of statistical analysis that could support your larger claim.
Additionally, the paper would be enhanced if you were to include a part about women not having the will for divorce. Given that this essay is about victim blaming, when reading this one may ponder as to why women of this time period were not more inclined to divorce their abusive husbands. Explaining the perils of divorce (financial ruin, loss of custody of children, etc.) would only benefit the essay.
I hope this was helpful!
I really like that you brought up the language Cobb uses, words like "poor and ignorant" really add to the abuse the women receive. This really struck me. I think you should expand this idea. What other words did she use that could be considered abusive to women or the lower classes. What are some of the side effects those abusive words can cause?
ReplyDeleteIt was really great how you tied the Cobbe essay to present times. You exemplified valid points through the examples placed throughout your writing to bring about how there is a similarity between the 19th century and today. I liked this connection that you made because it went beyond what the text wanted readers to interpret. You brought the text out of the box to examine what occurs in today's society versus what occurred during the time of this article. This topic is something that is extremely controversial, but you did a very good job at tackling your argument.
ReplyDeleteI, like many others, like the link between Cobbe's essay and today's view on the subject. However, I thought it would be interesting to note that the FBI recently changed the definition of rape to include men and include situations in which someone is to physically or mentally impaired to consent, which includes the use of alcohol or drugs. It also states that physical resistance is not needed to show "lack of consent". It would be interesting to look more into this topic and how this relates to Cobbe's writing at the time and to our country's current views on domestic violence and how they may have changed or remained the same.
ReplyDeleteYou have many examples that support and strengthen your argument. The comparison between Cobbe's essay and the modern day is a unique take. I enjoyed reading your essay and it flowed nicely. Its very broad though with, there could be more focus on a single section of Cobbe's essay with out compromising your examples and topic. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI really like how you incorporated Cobbe's essay and "victim blaming" that still occurs today. I specifically liked the paragraph where you discussed the language Cobbe uses to describe the victims. I would perhaps expand upon this in your essay to narrow your focus. Otherwise, I thought it was very interesting and articulate!
ReplyDeleteYour post does a nice job of taking the main definition of victim blaming and relating back to the historical contexts we have been discussing. Both in Cobbe's article and Domestic Tyranny we see that there was no real protection for the wives of abusive husbands. Those that were in place were more of a "sweep the problem under the rug" approach to the problem.
ReplyDeleteAs you pointed out, in a modern context we are much more advanced with our laws and protection against violence and abuse. Yet there seems to be a lingering idea of the "sweep the problem under the rug" approach and even blaming the victim for whatever they suffered. Your article has a good path to it, I can see it taking the role of teaching in order to not repeat the past, which our society tends to do time and time again.
Your post does a nice job of taking the main definition of victim blaming and relating back to the historical contexts we have been discussing. Both in Cobbe's article and Domestic Tyranny we see that there was no real protection for the wives of abusive husbands. Those that were in place were more of a "sweep the problem under the rug" approach to the problem.
ReplyDeleteAs you pointed out, in a modern context we are much more advanced with our laws and protection against violence and abuse. Yet there seems to be a lingering idea of the "sweep the problem under the rug" approach and even blaming the victim for whatever they suffered. Your article has a good path to it, I can see it taking the role of teaching in order to not repeat the past, which our society tends to do time and time again.
I like how you distinguished in your post the different types of women-beating, and how it is the men vs. their wives that seems to be of least concern to the society of the period. I think people chose to ignore the fact that it was the central male figure of these women's lives that were the most dangerous to them, and I believe that still occurs today. I am glad you incorporated that same issue from modern day to the victim-blaming of the past. I think you could include in your revision how important it is for people to remember who is really the victim in domestic violence by using your victim-blaming examples as a supporting argument.
ReplyDeleteI disagree with your notion of "victim-blaming" as justifcation for wife-torture; I see the justification as leaning more towards ownership that the blame game. I think that men viewed their wives as property and thus justified their unjust treatment of them; "may I not do what I will with what my own?" (Cobbe 62).
ReplyDeleteI really like the topic you center on. I think the blaming the victim is quite interesting. The only suggestion I have is a bit more analysis weaved throughout your close reading. I would also suggest to focus in a bit more. I think too much is covered in such a short time. Though what you have covered is interesting, a little less may provide room for more depth. Good job though! :)
ReplyDeleteI liked your argument and it was well organized. The concept of victim blaming really interests me and how throughout history it seems to have stayed stagnant against women even though they have worked so hard to get to where they are now. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps expanding a bit more but other than that I like your writing style, argument, etc. :)
ReplyDeleteYour analysis is very well organized and easy to follow; I especially like the moment near the end when you turn to analyze Cobbe's slight participation in victim blaming. I would be interested to see you delve a little deeper into a possible rational for and the consequences of Cobbe's choice to speak about the women in this manner.
ReplyDeleteAs you discussed property I would possibly bring in the aspect of men being prosecuted from animal cruelty whereas wife-cruelty was more accepted and common in practice. Does the fact that a woman has a voice change the circumstances?
ReplyDeleteI think Cobbe uses the "poor, stupid, ignorant" as drive a point. Rich men engage in abuse as well and their wives probably drank b/c of it demeaning the higher class to the same stance as the lower class.
I really like the aspect of women as property and I think diving into that more could add to your argument.