Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Societal Superstition Impeding Individual Rights


            From Puritan society in the seventeenth century, to the temperance movement in the nineteenth century, women had very little power in and outside the private confines of the home. Although they steadily gained more domestic authority into the nineteenth century, which lead to collective action through various movements, women were continuously pressured to conform to societal beliefs in female inferiority, religious values, and hierarchical relationships. Instead of using concrete evidence to control domestic violence, as well as the right to divorce, women were consistently impeded by societal superstition and the irrational logic of the church.
            Although Puritan communities were expected to watch their neighbors for any sign of sinful behavior within families, church courts rarely took justifiable action, and instead aspired towards preserving the family unit (21). Family violence was not only considered immoral and sinful, in the Puritan’s mind, but it also, “threatened the individual’s and the community’s standing before God” (17). Although the individual was supposed to have rights before God and within the church, the hierarchical beliefs of society placed women lower than men within their homes, and the church. “In the Puritan mind, only a thin line separated the nag from the woman who covenanted with the devil,” (19) and with multiple accounts of witchcraft being linked to domestic violence within the community, the fear of being suspected pressured many women to conform to their inferior positions in society.
Trialed for witchcraft or not, the pressure to preserve the family, rather than to punish wrongdoing, was the priority of the church court. For example, Lemuel Phelps, who was accused for beating his wife on several occasions, Phelps merely had to go through a process of examination and confession within the church court. His wife was considered to be at fault as well, and was forced to confess that she had “transgressed the Rules and Duties of a Wife towards her husband in some of my past conduct in assuming too much authority over him and controlling him in civil and religious matters” (21). Although Puritan society believed in preserving individual rights within the community, superstition and societal beliefs of female inferiority prevailed.
Even into the nineteenth century, where women campaigned and held greater authority within society, societal superstitions continued to triumph. As women fought for temperance and the right to divorce, the domestic ideology of past times continued to be significant for many members of society. At a woman’s rights convention in 1860, “Stanton argued that divorce ought to be a private matter, unregulated by church or state. If government was to interfere, its proper role in her view was to make divorce easier and marriage more difficult to secure” (61-62). Although Stanton’s views on women’s rights to divorce created awareness, her stance was initially too radical for many people. Instead, the belief in female sexual purity and Christian morality outweighed the rights for women (62). 

28 comments:

  1. Good focus on the societal and religious barriers to justice for wives of abusive husbands in the Puritan colonies.

    A few generalized statements are made ("women were consistently impeded by societal superstition and the irrational logic of the church"; "As women fought for temperance and the right to divorce, the domestic ideology of past times continued to be significant for many members of society") which seem to require additional details/development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dlarsen, I agree. This was a very rough draft and I definitely didn't allow myself enough time to include all my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another student's post discussed the role of victim blaming in perpetuating domestic violence, and I think there is a similar thread running through this piece, though within a different context. Accusing someone of witchcraft seems to be the harshest sort of victim blaming - it can cost the victim their life. I think the ways in which blame is/was redirected across time and place is a really interesting and important topic, and I'd like to see more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Andi,
    I really liked your mention of societal pressures within your close read, and I think that this would be a solid focus for your final draft (as opposed to discussing rights' advocates for divorce and women's rights). An interesting point was brought up in classroom discussion yesterday concerning the notion of internal pressure that women felt, which could prompt an interesting conversation with your analysis of societal pressures already present in your reading. Great job!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that you focused on the church because we had not really gotten into that in class. Based on the readings and the arguments you make in your close reading it becomes evident that the church played a major role in the acceptance of domestic violence. I think you did a good job at pointing out how the church contradicted themselves and furthered the violence. The end could be a little more explained: why did the belief of sexual purity and Christian mortality outweigh women's rights exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In your response I like the way you used the word "superstitions" to refer to the believed societal norms for the times our authors were writing in and about. I think it is an interesting way to classify the suppressed situation that women were placed in by the church and male figures in society. It opens doors to remember that the idea of woman being inferior isn't necessarily the truth, but merely a superstition. I also agree with Brittany's comment above and appreciate your mention of the church's involvement mainly because all of the superstitions our authors bring up truly stem from the church ideals and control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your mentioning of witchcraft; this is a really interesting concept to me because it is just weird to imagine this huge group of people who were completely sincere in believing this thing that is so wrong. In fact, maybe centering your response around the role of witchcraft would help unify it a little more, especially with the title being about superstition.

    Because with the rest of the writing, I'm a little confused about how you're using the word "superstition". Is this just referring to witchcraft, or to the general beliefs of people at this time? If it is the latter, I think there is an important difference between superstition and ignorance or bigotry. The culture's beliefs about gender roles and identities is not really a superstition as believing in witchcraft is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've obviously done a very thorough reading of the text, and did a wonderful job at picking out significant passages. My only critique is that it seems to be more of a summary than an analysis of the text or close reading. I urge you to pick a single focus and look into how it's effected by the rest of the things you discuss, as opposed to just elaborating on them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed by your opening paragraph. Sentence after sentence flows nicely and then comes to a great summation of what the paper will be about. Overall, the style of writing made this essay easy to read.

    I do have a critique. Think about how you end your essay. I feel like the essay comes to an abrupt end. I suggest connecting your final comments more blatantly with the larger argument. This will help your conclusion match the impression of your intro.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you considered being tried for witch craft a punishment for speaking out. I have never thought of it in that light. Do you think bring accused of witch craft is the worst punishment a women could endure while trying to break the cycle of abuse? You should talk more about the other punishment the women may receive from the community as well as their families.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your formatting is clear and easy to follow. It sets up your points and moves really well. As a point for improvement, you could consider expanding in your discussion of witch craft and those trials. For me, that was an interesting point I would like to see more of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're a really strong writer! Even as a rough draft, the general structure and flow of your piece were well done. I also like that your topic religion and witchcraft, because that wasn't explored as much in class or in the other blog posts. I think more examples and a deeper analysis would be beneficial for your discussion, because it feels a little bit like a summary of the text. Maybe address why the Puritan system was faulty, or why it can't be justified? I mean, valuing the family is respectable, right? You could discuss how they took it too far.
    Now I'm headed on a tangent, oops! Those are a few things that came to mind, so I'd say you have a thought-provoking essay. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first paragraph of this essay is very well-written. It clearly explains what this essay will be about in a concise manner. The essay also has great flow from sentence to sentence and uses fantastic examples to support larger claims. My only critique is that I feel the ending could have been a bit more well-written. Overall this was a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting topic and really well written. I liked your style and flow. I would agree with several of the comments above, specifically that there were some general statements and that it does seem to verge more on summary than analysis. Is there a way you could dig a little deeper into how the writing actually functions in these pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a great topic to focus on writing about. Your topic goes beyond what the reader wants to see and gets into the unnoticed problems during this time. Although this topic has many examples from our book Domestic Tyranny, you brought out the topic in a well organized and well written piece using these examples to their full advantage. You are a strong writer and I enjoyed reading this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with most of the comments above regarding the focus of your close read. This seems to be relatively general, and for such a short piece, it could use a little more specification. I also agree that witchcraft could be an interesting focus for your paper. Explaining a woman's need to avoid being accused of witch craft due to social pressure and what she must endure in order to do so would be a beneficial response to Pleck's original writing to show the irony behind Puritan society.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed your opening paragraph it catches the readers attention and flows very nicely. I really like the topic involving superstition and it would benefit your essay if you expanded on this. As like others before me I too believe that there is a lot of summary from the text and not enough analysis. You could cut out other topics and just focus on one. But overall it was good and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You’ve set up a strong outline of the church’s lack of willingness to truly deal with domestic abuse. It might be interesting to explore if there are any similarities between wives being basically tied to their husbands and the way servants/slaves were tied to those who ruled over them. Both are subservient and dependent upon the male; both are denied support in their clams of abuse, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your argument and outlook on how the church did not act upon domestic violence, but rather accepted it. Some of your statements could be explained a little more to help solidify your argument. Having less summary and more analysis could also help to strengthen your point. Overall, great work. It is clear that you have close read the text.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked your introduction for it was concise and there was no question on what you are going to be talking about throughout your essay. However, I felt that I did not take anything from the essay that we did not already cover in class. You did a good job making it all flow together. Toward the end I think you could have explained more and gone more in depth but it is understandable considering the time limit and that its the first blog. Overall, I liked reading it and my favorite sentence is the beginning of your third paragraph, "Trialed for witchcraft or not, the pressure to preserve the family, rather than to punish wrongdoing, was the priority of the church court." :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like the topic of your close read because these were some of the issues that also stood out to me while reading. Specifically I found the hypocritical nature of the Puritan church and culture very fascinating. I love the last sentence of your 3rd paragraph, "Although Puritan society believed in preserving individual rights within the community, superstition and societal beliefs of female inferiority prevailed" Perhaps you could expand on why this was the case and the divergence between the Puritan's attitudes towards domestic violence and women versus the action the Puritans took towards domestic violence and protecting women.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm really glad that you included the statement that Stanton made about suggesting the government make divorce easier to grant and marriages harder to obtain. That statement resonated with me the first time I read it, and I like how your post finishes with that statement. If you had made an argument out of the your previous mentions of the religious and other numerous justifications of violence against women I feel that statement would make a good supporting conclusion. You did cover a lot of important points from the reading in your post, but it seemed to me like a brief summary. Maybe next time you could talk about how the justifications functioned in the anti-temperance movement or something of that nature.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This article is tackling the church's role in marriage, which is fascinating. There was struggle for power over the congregation at these puritan churches. They aimed to use the fear of God to gain control of the group and the society as a whole. One of the ways they did this was to have the congregation look after each other. But as it has been mentioned, violence against the family put you in bad standing with the Lord. So most crimes against women and children went un reported or looked over.
    I think your post had a good approach to this struggle in the church and justice for the women that were located in the middle of this struggle.
    I wish you had expanded on the radical nature of Stanton's beliefs and though she was fighting for the greater good, the less powerful protesters received more recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like how your article points out the strong connection between religion and marriage. I wonder why marriage is still considered such a strongly Christian thing to do. We fight so hard to separate church and state, but two centuries later we are still unable to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I liked that you focused a lot on the church in your post. We didn't discuss this much in class, but strict religious rules had a lot to do with covering up domestic abuse. I think that for your final draft you might want to consider either getting rid of the paragraph about divorce or expanding on it more. Since it seemed to be part of your thesis, I expected more information about it. For instance, you could just relate it with the rest of the paper by pointing out that divorce would be a good option for woman to escape from domestic abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked the inclusion of the quote “In the Puritan mind, only a thin line separated the nag from the woman who covenanted with the devil,” (19) because it clearly shows the value in a woman's voice... the one thing that gives her an element of power can be the same things that gives justification for taking everything away.

    The usage of the word superstitions may need to be clarified as it is discussed through evolving times.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really liked the topic you chose and I liked the way you used the information. However, I do not think enough analysis was provided. As it was it read a little like a summary. Try to incorporate more unpacking of the text and expanding what it means.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.